Sunstreaker Vs. Sideswipe Questions???

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by orionpacks85, Jun 11, 2008.

1. orionpacks85

orionpacks85 autobot85

Ebay:
    Has this ever been discussed before? (I apologize if it has)

I always thought Sunstreaker and Sideswipe's information got screwed up somewhere in the production line because Sideswipe is described as follows:

"In Autobot mode, Sideswipe's two arms can be used as pile drivers. Each exerts 8000 pounds of force upon impact with up to five impacts per second, making him particularly useful in close combat and for breaking through fortifications. A rocket back pack can sustain him in the air for two minute spurts before refueling is necessary. When launched, two shoulder mounted magnetic phosphorus flares can each be seen from a distance of 18 miles on a clear night."

But if you look at the the toys, It's Sunstreaker who appears to have a rocket back pack and the yellow things on his shoulders can be placed on his hands appearing to be pile drivers. Like I said, don't know if this has ever been brought up anywhere but it's been buggin' me forever. I know there were a lot of mistakes on the tech specs. (Like Starscream being the fastest jet but having lower ratings than other seekers)

What say you TF fans??

2. DoubleClouder

DoubleClouder Autobot/Decepticon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Yes, it's actually been stated/speculated a few times that their bio's were switched. It has to do with the fact that Sunstreaker's yellow was a color specifically made for Transformers. The Diaclone version only came in red and white(the Italy Trasformer version doesn't count). That is also why Sunstreaker has red stickers on his shoulders and Bluestreak has blue colored stickers for his arms and the turbo sticker, the colors were never changed for transformers they just recycled the Diaclone sticker sheets and added an autobot symbol. Sideswipe's mold came in both red and yellow(Tigertracks) in diaclone. So it seems that the Sunstreaker mold was supposed to be named Sideswipe and colored red and the Sideswipe mold was going to be yellow and be name Spinout, later changed to Sunstreaker.

3. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Yeah, the most likely scenario is that the original plan was to release the yellow standard Countach as Sunstreaker (Spinout) and the red Super as Sideswipe, as those were clearly the designs that the bios were based on. Exactly what went wrong here, I'm not sure. I'm guessing the idea of the yellow Super was on the cards relatively early, though (since it wasn't an option with the Diaclone releases, unlike the red standard version), and they just forgot to tell Bob about it when he was doing the bios. Silly them.

4. CryoPrime

CryoPrime Cody A.

So I guess that they kinda' BS'ed their way into making it right by giving Sideswipe the Jetpack in the show.

5. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    they also refer to "Sunstreaker's shoulder mounted rocket launcher," an obvious feature of the Sideswipe toy

6. manyoufactsure

manyoufactsure Maximal TFW2005 Supporter

This doesn't answer the question but Sideswipes, cartoon character, helped cut a passage through a cliff (to get around the mexicans blocking the roadway) and he gave his backpack to Optimus (ordered to) so Ops could try to stop Megatron from getting away in the new ship the decepticons had built. I believe this was the origonal show when the Ark crashed on Earth.

This was probably done because of the tech specs and descriptions given to the various characters.

7. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

And the rest. Checklist:

Sunstreaker's bio: Ground-to-air missile launcher and electron rifle.
    Sideswipe's bio: Rocket pack and 'piledrivers', and shoulder mounted flares.

Sideswipe's toy: Rifle and shoulder-mounted missile launcher.
    Sunstreaker's toy: Rear-mounted air intake (rocket pack), wrist missiles (easily taken as jackhammers) and two removeable shoulder pieces (flares).

8. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I guess this has already been covered, but there's also a scene in the first Dinobots episode where Sideswipe is using his piledrivers to help dig a hole into the cave where the dinosaur bones are hidden.

9. sunnyswipe

sunnyswipe autobot

News Credits:
    ...wasnt there speculation that starscreams stats/ techspecs were switched with skywarps aswell? (slightly off-topic, i know!)

10. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Definitely. Consider the following:

Skywarp's stats:
    Strength 7, Intelligence 9, Speed 10, Endurance 7, Rank 9, Courage 9, Firepower 8, Skill 8

Starscream's stats:
    Strength 7, Intelligence 7, Speed 9, Endurance 7, Rank 5, Courage 8, Firepower 7, Skill 7

The Ranks alone will tell you they're the wrong way round.

To be honest, regarding Sideswipe and Sunstreaker again, I'm tempted when I get hold of the Universe figs to do some swapping and turn them back; rig Sideswipe's transformation to work like Sunstreaker's and vice versa, and swap the heads. That could be cool.

11. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    but if you gave Sunstreaker the Sideswipe head and hood-chest, you'd just have Tigertrack!

12. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

And a Diaclone-homage Sunstreaker.

13. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Well, yeah, that's what they're known as now, but clearly the Diaclone yellow standard Countach (now Tigertracks) was supposed to be Sunstreaker, and the red Super was supposed to be Sideswipe. I'd just be putting them back the right way round. :D 

But whatever you want to call them, they seem look good figs to have to me. Could be tempting to get an extra Sunstreaker for the Police Type Super as well...

14. Black Sideswipe

Black Sideswipe TFW2005 Supporter

No wonder Starscream was always p***ed off about his rank in the cartoon.