Customs: sunstreaker from tftm 08 bumblebee idea

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by cuters, Jan 3, 2008.

1. cuters

cuters Diabolist

what transformer from any tf toy line would have a head that would fit and do sunstreaker justice on a tftm 08 bumblebee i do not know many tf other than g1 (of course) and classic,s really need help on this i also want to do a side swipe from 08 cliff jumper any help would be kind.

2. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

Not sure how much help it will be, but I've noticed that many of the Armada and Energon Deluxe figures have heads that are about the right scale for Deluxe movie figures...as well as the old Action Masters figures.

In fact, I'm tossing around the idea of making a Blaster out of Allspark Cliffjumper and an old Action Master Blaster figure... but I don't know any figures that resemble Sunstreaker at that scale, off the top of my head. You might have to pick a close match and do a little kitbashing...

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    If you wait just a little bit, the Classics Sunstreaker coming up may suit your needs. :) 

4. cuters

cuters Diabolist

man i cant wait sunstreaker and side swipe oh yah.

5. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Hehe, these are the reasons I do wait. I don't see the need of spending my time on a custom when Hasbro can make it for me for less. Case in point would be Alts Dead End and Sunstreaker. I just figured it would be a matter of time before we'd get 'streaker. I was prepared with a spare Dead End, but Hasbro came through for me :) 

I'm certainly not telling you to make your custom though! You might still want to do your idea when 'streaker comes out (or you might not). Patience will really pay off for ya here :thumb 

6. dare

dare Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If it's movie-verse 'Streaker, there's nothing to say that he has to resemble G1 in any way, so I say use whatever head you feel like using.

7. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe you could repaint Longarm's head to something more Sunstreaker-ish?

8. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    Yeah I was going to say Longarm's (because it's got those side vents).

But yeah, I've had this idea before too, and to do 74 BB as Sideswipe (I mentioned it in a thread about two months ago lol), but Im not good enough / dont have enough junker parts lying around.

9. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Heh... I think a LOT of us have had this same idea. I know I did, but I put it aside when I heard about the Classics 2.0 versions coming.

However, I did go as far as to put a G1 Sunstreaker head on my 08 BB. It looks good, though his side vents/horns are a bit too wide to accommodate the transformation without some trimming.

I've seen someone else use Longarm's head for a Sunstreaker on that figure. It's a good fit, especially for a more "alien" movie-style Sunstreaker.

I personally like the 76 Camaro BB for Sideswipe. That way, they both get to be the same kind of car, but still different. Plus Sideswipe seems to me like he'd be the more rough-and-tumble vintage 70's car-chase kind of guy, while Sunstreaker's vanity would fit with a fancy concept car mode.

Of course, that would mean painting him red... and the 08 BB is quite a bit beefier than the 70's mold, so they wouldn't really match (and if anything, I'd see Sideswipe being the bigger of the twins).

I wonder if Longarm's head would work for Sideswipe too, just painted a bit differently and maybe attaching some cheek-guards over the side vents to cover them up. That could work.

zmog

10. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

But, to be honest, Hasbro might not make it to your liking, thus forcing you to make your own. That's a huge factor in kitbashing.

11. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Could we see a photo of that purdy please? :D 

. . . which is why I suggested waiting :thumb 

12. SMOG

Oh, all right... :) 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MORE in the gallery here

You'll notice that I switched his legs around too... I like the yellow bits on his knees... it's just a temporary mock up right now, but I've already done the same thing to my '76 Camaro BB by adding a rotating waist joint.

zmog

13. cuters

cuters Diabolist

sweet it can be done nice job man.

14. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

, I think Sunstreaker fits the camaro more than BB.

15. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Wow!!! That actually looks GREAT with G1 Sunstreaker's head. And I like the rotated legs, those are a nice touch. Too bad it doesn't quite transform. Still, it's surprisingly effective.

When you do the final version, are you going to make his upper arms red? That would really cinch the Sunstreaker image. :) 

16. SMOG

I haven't decided yet whether I'm going to do the final version... I guess it all depends on how Hasbro's Classics Sunstreaker looks. Though it just occurred to me that I could very easily just swap out those little yellow armour bits on his upper arms for the red ones from Movie Cliffjumper!

I think with some minor trimming on the "horns" and some other parts, he would transform properly. And of course, the rotator joint would still have to be added to his waist.

I was surprised how well it worked, considering that the Movie aesthetic is usually so different from the G1 aesthetic. It helps that G1 Sunstreaker has such a nice face-sculpt! Despite the size difference, it's a much better sculpt than Alternator Sunstreaker IMHO.

I agree the Camaro totally suits Sunstreaker (and Sideswipe) more than BB... though I guess movie BB is effectively more Hotshot than he ever was Bumblebee.

Thanks guys!

zmog

17. Sentinel Pax

Sentinel Pax Well-Known Member

Wow...that looks awesome! Turning the legs around really makes him look a lot more intimidating. I'd like to see that mod with a movie Cliffjumper figure.