Sunshine

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Primus, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    Has anyone seen this movie? I hadn't really heard much about it aside from it being the first movie to support BD 1.1 but I love sci-fi so I rented it.

I freaking loved it. The style is very reminiscent of 2010. A gritty realistic sci-fi movie that takes place in the not too distant future.

So, anyone else seen it?

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I heard it was amazing. I might go by what has been said, and what you said and pick it up on BR today. I was going to buy YUMA today as well, so I'll look for that one.

3. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    Just be aware that there are a couple of flaky moments in the movie. I do love these kind of movies though and wish they made more like it.

4. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I saw the preview on 28 Weeks Later -looked really good.

5. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Got it on DVD, highly recommended. :D 

6. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Saw it in the theater last summer and fucking loved it. Told everybody I knew that they should see it, mostly to WTF looks since it completely flew under the radar. Plugged it in all the various boards' 'Top # movies of teh year" threads. I checked DVD release status religiously until the Jan. 8 date finally popped up, bought it on day one...tied people to chairs and made them watch it...etc. [​IMG]

7. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I think it was Jarodimus who was rocking it in his sig for a while. Looked it up outta curiousity and then Netflix'd it.

Loved it. Very, very well-shot--the sense of claustrophobia is almost palpable.

It was definitely two parts "2010," one part "2001," and a pinch of "Event Horizon." I've recommended it to everyone I can.

8. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    Watched it in theater last year, it's like Event Horizon's polite sister, not as scary as EH, but it thrill you nonetheless. I love how international the cast was, and I didn't expect Datuk Yeoh was in the movie.

9. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

I assumed it was going to be The Core in Space, but I'm glad to hear otherwise. I'll give it a look. How's the science in it?

10. WTF2005

WTF2005 Chaos Commander

I agree with that. Just replace dumb or stupid with flakey.

11. atlianz

atlianz TFW2005 Supporter

Great flick indeed! I need to pick this up on Blu-ray!

12. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Solid enough 'til towards the end, but even then, it's acceptable.

Suffice to say the physics get tangled, but in a way that no one could say for certain they wouldn't.

13. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

Just finished watching it. Great movie. I expected as much but it exceeded my expectations.

14. VigilanteX9

VigilanteX9 that guy...

hmm i think im gonna check this out

15. prowl007

prowl007 Axisjump

Highly recommended Scifi Movie in my terms

16. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Very good, but if you've seen Event Horizon you've seen it ;)  A lot of similarities between the two.

17. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

It gets a lot of comparisons to Event Horizon b/c of the last 20 minutes or so, but it's a wildly unfair comparison IMO. A lot of reviews I read criticized it for 'devolving into a slasher flick at the end,' which completely misses the point of that character and the point of the movie in general.

Event Horizon was supposed to be scary, and while there was some genuinely fucked up imagery in there, it fell back on a lot of horror movie cliches. Pinbacker isn't supposed to be cheap Freddy Krueger knockoff scary, despite the resemblance. The movie is about how these different characters react to the weight/enormity of their mission. What was scary about Pinbacker was his fucked up point of view.

18. Los

Los Now you see me...

Ebay:
    I was looking for the 'I Just Watched' movie thread but could not find it....so bumping this one.

Another great film that will be overlooked by millions of people. I really got caught up in the story since it did not unfold the way I thought it would. I got a 2001 Space Odyessy vibe from it because it really captured how lonely and scary it would be to be in deep space. The payload scene at the end must be watched on a big screen!

19. karamazov80

karamazov80 Million Dollar Champion

I saw this movie a couple of weeks ago, and in terms of its tone, I think overall that it was more similar to Event Horizon or Supernova than, say, 2001. Now, its gobs better than either of those movies (EV and SN, not 2001), but I think that all 3 of them were coming from a similar place, trying to create a similar type of atmosphere, and in some small way, trying to make similar statements (though Sunshine is much more complex and profound than those others, which are ultimately B-level horror movies).

I thought the movie was interesting, and definitely worth watching. One thing I really liked was the actor who plays Johnny Storm. He was very good, and gives further evidence to suggest that the FF movies sucked because of the decisions and influences of the director, writers, and producers (not like there's much of a debate about that, but. . .). I even listened to part of the commentary track, and through that gained further appreciation of Danny Boyle. This guy's a very impressive director who has made a wide array of terrific films, and when you here him talk, you realize that that is not very surprising. He comes off as being very intelligent, thoughtful, and very prepared when he makes a movie--I guess that he's the opposite of a Michael Bay-type.

20. Los

Los Now you see me...

Ebay:
    I thought Johnny Storm was good too. I really like that although we know the Earth needs the sun we really do not know how bad Earth is (until the end). Johnny Storm seems to keep driving the point home that the mission is more important than any of them and his actions prove that on more than one occasion. All the actors were great in it.