Sunlight on collection

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by xMostWanted559x, Aug 19, 2012.

1. xMostWanted559x

xMostWanted559x Well-Known Member

Does slight sunlight through house windows into detolf glass cause damage to figures after long periods? Noticed certain times At the house sunlight will hit my case.

2. REMINATOR

REMINATOR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not really sure, but I had to move my toys book case which was facing the the window sunlight and into another corner of the wall after noticing some of my white TFs have slightly yellowish. My G1 Jetfire white coloring is almost a disaster, very yellowish.

3. xMostWanted559x

But since my detolf has a glass I'm not sure if it's as bad as your direct bookcase

4. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Luckily no sunlight reaches where I am down in my parents' basement.

5. xMostWanted559x

Unfortunately I have no basement

6. Wolfdawg

Wolfdawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have these UV filtering curtains that do a good job of protecting my figures from sunlight. I've had them for years and they seem to be working. I always make it a point to either have the curtains completely covering the window or have the blinds drawn. Sometimes both depending on how sunny it is outside.

7. xMostWanted559x

How's uv filters work? My lights are coming from high windows that have no curtains. So the glass doesn't protect it?

8. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I used to sell windows.

If you have GOOD windows with Low-E Glass (better Low-E the better) you will never have to worry about sunlight fading your stuff. IE Carpet, Toys, Furniture.

If you have regurlar ol' windows with NO low-E coating its the exact same as leaving them outside in the sunlight.

Low-E mean Low Emissivity (I prolly spelled that wrong but im not looking up shit I had to study) The Low-E coating on windows filters out the UV rays that cause the interior of houses to heat up (Greenhouse effect) and also stops things from fading. I Sold real high end windows and when I seen a custo that had a $5000 rug, or brand new carpet..I hosed em on the Low-E spiel. Its not a joke, it DOES work..

But keep in mind..if you do not have Low-E or GOOD Low-E its exactly like your TFs are sitting outside. If half of your MP Optimus is on a shelf, and a shadow is cast on half of it, it wont take much time at all until you notice there is a difference.

Hate to break it to you, but those dont work unless they are coated with silver oxide. I had to take a week long class about this shit. People that put that window film and other "UV protective curtains" usually dont work. I dont know exactly what you have...but chances are, it prolly isnt doing anything but making a bit of shade.

What is Low E Glass?

Sorry, forgot to include it filters out the IR spectrum too

We were shown demostrations with many different "UV protective curtains" in a big room with a whole mess of different window types and curtain displays, and they would put them in between the sun and a sensor and nothing worked unless the windows actually had Low-E glass. It was reduced, but it never really did a great job. I did all this in 2008, so some things MAY have changed since then IE new products that im not aware of..

Perfect example. Sorry your stuff got yellowed man. That sucks...But you CAN do the Peroxide thing to get the yellowing out, But I wouldent submerge a G1 Jetfire in Peroxide. I would take it apart.

Guys have done the peroxide thing on TFs and especially ARAH Storm shadows that yellowed and it DOES work.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2012
  9. xMostWanted559x

Maybe some detolf owners can give opinion on it. Now sure how the glass is

10. Snake_eyes1975

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This?
    DETOLF Glass-door cabinet - beech effect - IKEA

If so, I dont see any mention of Low-E coating, so once again, its the same as having it exposed to sunlight

11. Wolfdawg

News Credits:
    Damn... Well all this time I thought my figures were protected...

Thanks for the info, though. I think I'll invest in some Low E windows when my wife and I move into a house later this year.

12. xMostWanted559x

What sucks I don't have any spots in house that doesn't have sunlight at least certain periods of the day.

13. TFtoycollector

TFtoycollector I'm British i am

News Credits:
    What about heat?

We've got some hot weather in the UK at the moment and my room gets really hot because the sun's beating down on it all day long. I'm getting really worried about my Transformers.

14. Snake_eyes1975

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Windows are VERY expensive, but keep in mind you do NOT have to buy all of them at once. another thing to consider, If you have a very high dollar collection, you can simply replace the glass. You can do that even in vinyl windows. You can even do it yourself CHEAP. Just remove the windows, get a "pizza cutter" its a tool used to cut the caulking/advesive from glass to window, and take the windows to a glass company and replace them ONLY in your collection room with top notch Low-E coating. If you have just a couple windows, and they arent massive, you could do the entire project for under $500.

Its very common, when we sold windows, just to sell certain options to certain rooms, as I said above, if your TF collection is in ONE room of the house, you can just do those windows, and see above for a CHEAP alternative to a complete window replacement.

There are also "do it yourself" Low-E sprays, that were sold for a little bit of time. Not sure if you can even buy them anymore. The chemicle in them are VERY toxic. dont mess with em. All of my stuff is in my basement, With black covering out all the windows in my collection room.

If you have a certain room thats holds all your collection, keep in mind that just direct sunlight is not the only killer. If you have high gloss walls that are white, They reflect the IR and UV and bounce off 70% of that energy. So you can even get yellowing and sicoloring on the BACKS of your collection if your walls reflect it.

PLEASE, do not take me as a know it all on this, I worked in this industry and had to sell people windows with art peices that cost more than my house. I never even sold windows in a house that was under $300K. All these issues are a BIG DEAL to someone who has a real rembrant or picasso on display. We had a custo that had a real picasso in a great room, and we noticed hish granite floor bounced sunlight on the painting from an odd room. Yup..those windows got the unltr high end Low-E on em. Direct exposure in not the only issue to look at.

I am not one, Most of my TFs are all Hasbro domestic releases, but if I had some of the collection you high end guys do...I would factor this stuff as serious as a Picasso on a wall, because some of your collections are worth as much or more.

Heat is the IR spectrum coming in. IR heats the floors and walls and heats your room on the inside. IR does not effect fading as much as UV if I remember correctly, but if you had a glass cabinet, on a hot day, That cabinet could heat up black transformers possibly enought to warp soft parts, becaus ethe entire cabinet would start an oven effect and mat reach temps higher than the house or outside.

15. xMostWanted559x

So temporary sunlight is just as damaging or if it's in sunlight all day? I might look into finding a new spot but probably won't be easy. Thanks for advise

16. TFtoycollector

TFtoycollector I'm British i am

News Credits:
    Thanks

17. Wolfdawg

News Credits:
    Oh damn. I had no idea the windows were very expensive. I remember reading something a while ago about a UV protective film that you could install on windows. Would that act like the Low E windows?

18. Snake_eyes1975

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey no prob. Like I said, I used to be a serious expert in windows, I had to know EVERYTHING about them and the competition because we catered to very high income custos. Think of it like this, If you have a corner of your shelf, That sun just touches for 30 mintues a day, you can do the math, its not about duration of exposure, its exposure period, and it adds up. If you take a cloth, poster, toy, whatever suseptable to fade, it immidiatly starts the process until removed from the source (sun) So any and all exposure without protection will fade, its just the human eye cannot notice it, if its just 5 minutes, but under microscopic comparison to a brand new toy, vs one exposed in sunlight for 5 miuntes, WILL show a minut difference.

When I was into this, I was INTO it, so I knew everything about almost every product out there. At the timewe were in class there was NO substitute to Silver Oxide (Low-E) coating that could be applied on windows. That MAY have changed by now. But like I said, I dont wanna sound like a know it all, But I know some of you guys have TONS of bucks invested, and this is REAL, if your concerned its something to keep in mind. That was 4 years ago, and there may very well be some sort of window film that has been developed to act as a low E subsitute. I will not mention companys I used to work for, but some of the "cutting edge" products at the time would state, WITH warranty that the Low-E coating on the baddass windows filtered out such a percentage of damaging rays that it was said one day without low-e is compareable to 100 years WITH the low-E currently offered, and the stuff in development was going to do even better.

Another thing, Most of ALL of these window companys that I worked for got all of thier glass from the same place. So As I said before, if your going to live in a certain house for a long time, and your collection is in one room with just a couple windows, you could have a company just switch out the glass panes with the HIGH Low-E stuff. It gives a small grey tint to the window, but you would NEVER have to worry about sun fade in anything in that room for 100 years (The windows dont even last that long lol)

If your in a position that you just cant buy new windows, or some of these suggestions arent an option, I would consider some heavy curtains to close and just block all light when your not in that room displaying all your high end stuff. But MOST importantly, Watch your collection during the day, and if you have "shelving supports" or something that casts a shadow on HALF of one of your figures....you want to move it. If you dont rotate them around, you will have uneven spots on your stuff. and someday you will pick it up, and say "WTF?!?! why is HALF of this trailer bright, and the other is faded?!?!" This is REAL and ive seen it with my own eyes. One custo had a VERY expensive Persian rug, Imported, and the windows mull, (The wood or divider between miltiple windows) left a shadow right down the middle of the rug, and there is NO saving it. I recall it was only less than a year they had the rug in there and they had cheap spec house windows in this mansion.

19. Wolfdawg

News Credits:
    This is some very good info. One of the things I'm most paranoid about concerning my collection is fading/yellowing/discoloration. I suppose my last question would be an estimate of how much it would cost to get the Low-E windows bought and installed.

In the meantime, though. I'll just do what I've been doing all these years. Keep the blinds drawn and keep the heavy curtains on the windows.

20. Snake_eyes1975

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    TLC Home "Green Your Home for Winter: Apply Low-E Window Film"

Here is a new product that states 30-50% reduction. I have no experience with it. I know the new Low-E stuff at the time was doing high 90 percents, Hence the 100 years vs one day thing that was warranty. Even if this stuff DID do 50%, (which I highly doubt The chemical process they use is VERY bad for people, and I dont see them putting the same type stuff on a do it yourself film) I would consider doubling it up. You would tint the windows, but at least if you just CANT move your collection, you could slow the process, and move your high dollar stuff OUT of direct lit areas and put all your DOTM stuff where the sun hits...if you know what I mean..

On a budget, replacing your glass could even be cheaper than buying nice heavy curtains.

Say you have 2 double hung windows in your collection room. Thats 4 panes you have to replace. You could just pop out the windows (if you have full screens cool, if you have 1/2 screen just tape up some plastic to stop bugs from getting in. If you tell the window company about your plan ahead of time you could take in your 4 windows, have them measured, and take them back home and put them back in. When the galss is made and ready, bring them back up there and just tell them ahead of time "This needs to be a ONE day thing" and they can usually do that. They would spend a few hours installing the new Low-E glass in your 4 panes, and I would estimate now, your looking at around $40-$60 a pane with TOP NOTCH low-E coatings.

Now, Keep in mind, you have some SERIOUS benfits to Low-E. Guys on here with the big budgets might look at heaving new windows put in that room or the whole house just because of the heat and cooling benefits you get. In the summer it blocks out the IR and UV so it does not heat up the interior of the house (Greenhouse effect) Making the AC run ALOT less and saving you serious utility costs, and in the winter the Low-E bounces your INTERIOR heat back in, So your furnace runs less. This is NOT sales speak, I know what Im talking about and if your SERIOUS and want the info I could break out my old sales kits to find the numbers on what you save annually on houses with NO low-E vs the same house after Low-E installed.

Another thing, EVERY SINGLE WINDOW made in the last....jeesh.I think its 25-30 years, has information on it in one of the corners. You can read that info and decode it. Either send me what you have and I can tell you, or you will see it says "Low-E" or "Low-E3" its like a serial number, especially if you have a name brand window.

Glad to help guys.