Sun Makes History: May Cause Ice Age

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Insane Galvatron, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Sun makes history: First spotless month in a century

Comments on the bolded stuff:

First one: I guess we should have warmed up the planet more. Let's go burn old tires.

Second and third: Could this be the real reason our earth is getting warmer? Makes since with the data that cow flatulence pollutes more than our cars.

Fourth one: With these kind of fluctuations, how reliable can any carbon dating be since we don't have millions of years of fluctuation data to compare to....

Discuss

2. PeolesDru

PeolesDru Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I spend 30 minutes every day spraying CFC's into the atmosphere. Since more people die from exposure to cold than exposure to heat, I'm doing my part to save lives!

NAH - the SUN couldn't possibly have an effect on the Earth's climate compared to much more important factors like cow farts and 100 years of cars. I mean, it's just the SUN - merely the source of all of the energy the earth has, outside of the geothermal energy of the earth itself. Which is, of course, also has no discernable effect on climate. The fact that the sun has been unusually active during a period of warming should not imply any sort of correlation. It's just the SUN, after all. Nothing more to see. Kill yourselves now, you parasites of Gaia! I will bravely stay alive to document humanity's brave self-sacrifice to the harmony of nature.

Carbon dating isn't actually very reliable beyond 50,000 years. So it couldn't even be used for climate studies beyond that point. That would be .001% of the Earth's history.

3. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I KNOW WHERE YOU'RE GOING WITH THIS.

And without biting in violation of DA RULES, I'll say this. Dating of the Earth--and other bodies in the solar system--isn't restricted to carbon dating. I'm not a scientist, but Bryson's (I think) A Brief History of Everything has a good breakdown on how meteors that land here can be used to extrapolate the age of the solar system, and thus, the Earth. I appreciate that you'll reject that argument based on the use of meteors ("They're not even the Earth, how can they = it's age?") but the science convinced me.

Admittedly, I hadn't actually already made up my mind, so I was prolly a little more open to his breakdown of it all.

4. Superion1701

Superion1701 Supreme Leader

I was always skeptical about global warming. No one was ever able to answer since 1940 the average temperature of all the planets in the solar system rose. Honestly, how does my SUV cause Neptune to warm up. Clearly the Sun seems to be the most obvious answer. This whole globle warming phenomenom is just a giant government cash grab.

5. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Old skool. In a lot of ways.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    "Defied predictions" might as well be required by law to be printed in every science news story, ever. It practically always is.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure this thread will go downhill fast. Just wanted to post this, because I always find it HILARIOUS that I see variations of that phrase in practically every science (or economics)-related story, ever.

WE KNOW NOZZINK.

6. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Where I live and I have noticed in the month of August, it has been cooler down here. The humidity levels were the same, but the temperatures were cooler. Usually in the month of August in the Florida panhandle, temperatures will be in mid 90's with the heat index of 110. But last month the temps have been in the high 80's.

But I have read somewhere that we are due for another mini-ice age in the year 2020.

7. rapid_fire

rapid_fire Banned

the temperature changes constantly here, from boiling hot to freezing cold, I can take whatever this planet throws at me.

8. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah, blatant wasn't it? :lol 

Let this be a advisory to all:

LEAVE THE POLITICS AND RELIGION OUT OF THIS THREAD.

Thank you. :) 

9. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

Bah, if it happened in 1913 before I ain't skeered.

10. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

ZOMG! We is doomed!

Aw, nuts.

11. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I actually had no plans to go anywhere with it. I was just throwing that nugget out there to let people stew on it. :D  Had no intentions of discussing it.

Although we could because technically, it's a science issue. Not a religious one.

12. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

*cough*bullshit*cough*

13. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    That can also be defined as baiting.

No we cannot since it's an issue of science AND religion.

Again, please leave the religious talk and politics out of it. We have the News & Politics forum for precisely that kind of topic.

14. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

Man, if this is true, Al Gore's gonna be PISSED.

15. NemesisBruticus

NemesisBruticus Banned

[Sega Guy] Bullshit! [/Sega Guy]

16. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

Ebay:
    Because, swamp gas reflecting off Venus, um, interacts with Bubbleshock and bobs your uncle, you've melted Neptune's methane ice, releasing methane into the atmosphere, capturing more heat from the sun and in turn heating the planet up.

17. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Yeah, this argument has already come up ad nauseam and had been disproved multiple times, solar output has not changed significantly, yet it's getting warmer.

As for the subject of the original post, yay for alarmist media and not having any understanding of what is actually happening.

NASA - What's Wrong with the Sun?

http://stephenschneider.stanford.edu/Publications/PDF_Papers/DamonLaut2004.pdf

Where are the Sunspots? Are we in for a Quiet Solar Cycle? | Universe Today

As for correlation between temperature and greenhouse gases:

Faint sun*paradox Ask a Scientist | Earth & Sky

Also -Why the arctic sea ice is melting so much this year if the lack of sunspots is cooling the earth?

BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Major ice-shelf loss for Canada

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  18. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Good effort but that never works. I'm making sure to quote it just in case some one missed it the first two times. But we all know people will just read the beginning get all worked up and post before reading the rest of the thread.

19. PeolesDru

PeolesDru Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    On Neptune, too! Stupid SUVs!

20. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Where did you come from? Been here since 2002, 238 posts, then all of a sudden you are everywhere! :p