Summer Project | MP Shockwave | W.I.P.

Discussion in 'The Junk Pit' started by Coltello, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Coltello

Coltello Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    THIS CUSTOM IS FOR SALE AS PARTS. $115 OBO FOR SHOCKWAVE, MP SKYWARP, AND UNIVERSE SILVERBOLT, ALL OF WHICH COST AT LEAST $175 TOGETHER IF WERE BRAND NEW. SHOCKWAVE'S ELECTRONICS HAVE BEEN CUT BUT IS INCLUDED.

MOST RECENT UPDATE: Update #4 (6/19/12) - Page 1, Post 6
    TABLE OF CONTENTS:
    Update #1-4 - Page 1​

Hey there! For my very first custom, I'm planning to make a Masterpiece Shockwave using the Wal-Mart Skywarp legs and some other parts that I'll list later on. The goal is simple: Give Shockwave better articulation while still being able to transform as easy his G1 transformation. After looking at other MP Shockwave customs, I think I'll be able tko succeed, I just have to work for it. If you have any tips, comments, or questions for me, please post below! Thank you. :) 

June 9th, 2012 - Day 1
    Well I got Skywarp and a KO G1 Shockwave today!
    [​IMG]

G1 Shockwave's height is already ideal to scale in with other MP Seekers, but I think he can use the MP articulation.
    [​IMG]

And this is how far I got after all the unscrewing. Just a pile of parts. I would have done more if it weren't for my hand cramping up! :( 
    [​IMG]

I did encounter some problems however. I can't seem to disconnect Skywarp's hip from the black die-cast. Also, I can't seem to remove some screws out and I fear that I might strip the head. I'm not sure how to tackle these problems. Anyone have suggestions?
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. lhandlott

lhandlott Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    A drill does it for me for tight screws and for other metal pins I just heat them up then take them out. By the way where did you buy the ko shock wave ?

3. rattraprules98

rattraprules98 AKA Chr0nus

News Credits:
    Yeah, a soldering iron works wonders for pins, and I'm sure it could help some screws, too!

4. Coltello

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    June 10th, 2012 - Day 2 (No pictures)
    After a busy day out, I've decided to work on this a little. I managed to get some of the tight screws out. Turns out I just needed a more grip and handle. Before I was using a screwdriver made for repairing glasses. :p 

However, I ran into another problem. After removing Skywarp's right hand, I noticed that it is attached to another piece of black plastic with a metal pin. I have no idea of how to remove it other than prying it open or cutting through it. Any ideas?

On a smaller note, I've already started browsing colors for this project. I'll be using Montana Gold spray paint. I'm horrible with brushes and spray painting is my preferred method as I've used this brand without any complaints. It's acrylic and holds very well (I've used Montana Gold paint on kendama customs). After viewing their color selection, so far I've chosen out Deep Purple for the body and Sweet Dream for the hands and chest piece. If you have other suggestions for the colors, take a look at the selections here.

I bought the KO Shockwave off of chimungmung. I believe there's only one left.

5. Coltello

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    June 11th, 2012 - Day 3 (No pictures)
    Just a little update from yesterday.
    - Disassembled the remains of Skywarp's upper legs down to the knees.
    - Debating whether to remove the hip from the die-cast or keep it for added weight.
    - Waiting on a Silverbolt from a trade. Read it was a genius idea from thyvipera, so I may as well give it a try.

6. Coltello

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    June 19th, 2012 - Day 4
    After a few days off, I made some real progress! With the help of thyvipera, I did some modifications and fit the Universe Silverbolt arm parts to use as shoulder joints. It's not ideally snug, but this is more of a display piece than a toy to be played with. Now I just need to find out how I'm going to keep the ratchet swivel that connects the shoulder and the chest together. Any ideas?

360 rotation with ratchet joints.
    [​IMG]

Still maintains the original transformation fairly well too.
    [​IMG]

7. shadeozero

shadeozero Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Just a tip to anyone with a stripped screw if it is a + shaped screw get your dremel with the right cutting disc and deepen the screw top like this - then grab a flat head and should be easy to come out, always works for me, also thier is a tool you can get at your local hardware store that removes them also. Keep it up though looks awsome if I don't like that FOC shockwave I might do the same thing as well but with both of them being ko's as I am cheap XD

8. Coltello

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Scraping this project. Selling all of it for $115 or best offer.

9. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

What happened? You should finish it man ! YOU CAN DO IT !

10. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    aw, that's a bummer.

11. Buzby74

Buzby74 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I filed the hole out and fitted the rachet in... Quite straight forward really.

Where did you get the idea for the silverbolt parts in the shoulders. Where they from my build cuz I used them ages ago... Definately makes articulation much better, great for posing

12. Buzby74

Buzby74 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    All you need to do is keep the black plastic with the pin so you dont loose articulation. Cut the appropiate hole at the end of Shosckwave arm and place it in. I did that myself.... Relatively easy to do.

13. Coltello

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Unfortunately, I won't have time for it seeing as I start school soon. Also, I'm in the need for cash for Maketoys Green Giant and Fansproject Menasor. And seeing that an official Masterpiece Shockwave is very possible since MP Sideswipe is releasing soon, I think I can wait for it like I waited for FP Menasor.

And thanks for the advice, but like I said, I'm selling off my progress. I got the idea from thyvipera. Thanks though.

14. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    If you wish to sell something, we have forums specifically for that. As such, please restrict sales posts to those forums.

Since you have decided to make this thread a sales thread, it's been moved here to the Junk Pit, where members can sell their customs and such without taking on more work.

I wish you well on your sell :thumb 

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012