Summer of Sequels' Disappointing Box Office

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by monosierra, May 28, 2007.

1. monosierra

monosierra Well-Known Member

Records have been broken .... early on. But since then, lukewarm word-of-mouth and a been-there-seen-that vibe has cut sharply into the first wave of summer blockbusters.

Spiderman 3, Shrek 3 and POTC: AWE all pale in comparison to their predecessors. The box office take is dead impressive and recor-breaking, mind you, but somehow the results have not the spectacular bonaza films no.2 had promised. 300, a new film , on the other hand, did very well.

I'm guessing audiences are not too enthusiastic about seeing the same superheroes for the 3rd time, especially when its all been seen before.

Bodes well for TF, I say. Expect a massive opening - and a relatively small decline (40% perhaps) int he second week, if the film turns out to be as good as the trailer. The 'Wow' buzz online is tremendous. Reminds me of the buzz before 300 was released - a genuine "OMG! I gotta see that!" factor, unlike the "Oh. That's pretty interesting" pseudo buzz around Snakes on a Plane.

2. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I beg to differ.

Spiderman 3 and AWE were easily the best of their respective trilogies. Shrek 3 was ok...better than the second at least.

Anyways, I do expect a nice opening for TF...though I can't say how it'll do in the long run.

3. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Well-Known Member

What do you base this on? All three films are making money hand-over-fist, all doing quite well. There's been no "cut", unless you consider the numbers after a week and a half to be an indication of final numbers after several months.

4. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

yup im tired of sequals.

5. Simian

Simian Biscuits and Gravy....???

News Credits:
    I disagree...Spider Man 3 was sub par....it tried to do to much and didn't really develop any story and all the plot devices were so corny....

I believe that TF's will bode well since it is a new franchise...The sequal scene just gets old......

6. indecks

indecks Banned

Yeah... no.

I'm a huge Spider-man fanatic, and even I thought it was disappointing.

7. Cujo

Cujo United States Air Force

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i 2nd that

8. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No links, no numbers, just opinions. And we know how well those hold up.

9. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    QFT
    BTW Spider-man 3 the best in the trilogy??= :throw 

10. monosierra

Haha I don't mean their qualities; just the box office take.

They're making tonnes of money and still breaking records but the figures indicate that their boxx office momentum has been dissipating at a faster rate than their rated predecessors. Boxofficemojo has the unadulterated numbers. Spidey 3 is dropping behind Spidey in terms of box office declines and time to reach certain milestones.

11. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    well, IMHO, i think that Transformers is going to dominate. its something new and fresh in the "summer of sequels". i went to see all of the "big 3" in theatres, and you could tell that they were getting really drawn out.
    Shrek 3 was pretty good, actually. just not as good as the first two.
    Pirates 3 was...entertaining, but confusing...and it was nothing new, really.
    Spidey 3 was not disappointing to me at all. the trailers all made it look stupid, and it was, in fact, stupid. there were a lot of good parts and awesome parts, but on the whole it was really lame.

thats my opinion.

12. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Well-Known Member

There's a reason for that. And it's the same reason why the first-week numbers have been so impressive. It's because everyone who wants to go see the film will do so in the first week. It's not that word of mouth is negative, it's just that by the second week, nearly everyone who wanted to go see it has already done so, and they'll wait until the crowd dies down to see it a second time.

I agree that TF will probably have a lesser second-week drop, but that's because a lot of people are waiting for word of mouth before deciding whether to go see it. Don't let the excitement of TF-oriented websites like this one fool you... general public opinion on the rest of the internet is still very much "wait and see". If word of mouth is good, then TF will hold good numbers for several weeks, resulting in a good overall box office take. But it's first-week numbers won't be nearly as high as any of those three sequels you mentioned.. nowhere close.

13. Evan Goldsborough

Evan Goldsborough Freelance Negotiator

See, the issue with Transformers is that it got placed on a VERY BAD date. It's got just over a week before Harry Potter hits, and once that's happened, it's screwed. So it'll be making most of its money that first week.

Prime's most potent enemy is not Megatron, but a bald wizard with no nose.

That's just how it is.

14. monosierra

Oi of course not. I'm not a TF fan myself but stats have shown that TF is generating the most buzz. Of course, buzz in itself is a notoriously unreliable indicator - SOAP and Grindhouse generated a lot of talk that never translated into box office earnings. But I guess that's because they're tryin hard to be a cult hit - and that alienates the siletn majority. 300, on the other hand, created buzz with a simple factor: graphics like never seen before. But even then, its box office take in week 1 was beyind all expectations.

POTC:AWE probably suffered a bit because DMC had been a disappointment. Nevertheless, ti will gross more and do better than, say, Matrix Revolutions (which suffered terribly cos everyone, even positive reviews, were not too hyped about Reloaded after watching it). But I do think that TF, being one of the few non-sequels this year, can turn that into an advantage.

I'm very much aware that there are many who balk (as Bay himself had) at the idea of a 'toy movie'. The thing about having great fans is that the more buzz the fans make, the more others might distance themselves from the film. Thank goodness that hasn't always been the case. And TF can't be pigeonholed into a ''80s cartoon remake" stereotype that easily (as I imagine Voltron and He Man might). I know people who are lukewarm about TF, some who are very impressed with the effects and others who have already dismissed it as a kiddie show without brains. Its the 1st group that's up for grabs. Hopefully, good reviews and word of mouth will convince 'em to give the film a try.

15. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Transformers actually has a pretty solid release date. Most movies make the majority of their theatrical money in the first weekend. Especially the summer blockbusters. That's something that studios expect and plan for this time of year, and Transformers has really got the most prime spot of the summer.

Transformers opens on a Wednesday (a holiday, no less, when everyone will be off work and free to go the cinema if they so choose), so it's got a full nine days before Potter shows up, which is a pretty comfy place to be, since most movies only get seven days to be number one before the next big movie opens.

There is no doubt that Potter will take number 1 when it opens, but by then Transformers will probably be well into profit city...and if it isn't, it probably never will be.

16. monosierra

Every film has a bad release date. Every week is jam packed with a major release. SP3, Shrek 3, POTC, Ocean's Eleven, FF2, Evan Almighty, Die Hard, TF, HP ...

17. Autobot HipHop

Autobot HipHop Covert Operations

Glad to see someone else likes Spiderman 3. I thought it was awesome! All I keep hearing is that SM3 sucked...and I haven't seen Pirates 3 yet.

I really hope Transformers is a kick @$$ movie. I can't believe we're about to see a new TF movie!!!!! Feel like a kid again :) 

18. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    Well, I have to say that I enjoy more "POCT3: AWE" than "Spiderman 3". I mean, sure "Spidey 3" had Venom but it was too rush and had too many enemies.
    "POTC3" on the other hand it was fun since the 1st minute, well, not exactly, the first scene was very sad but you get my point.
    Apparently both movies are doing great according to newspapers. "Shrek 3" and "Fantastic Four 2" are not available in Argentina yet. I'm pretty sure "Shrek 3" will do a great opening weekend, I'm not sure about "FF2:ROFTS".
    Transformers? Hm...not sure, everytime I go to the theater I heard lame comments and critics because of the trailers. :cry  The show has been dead since the 80's. BW? Did good but the airing was a mess. The last trilogy..Only Armada was aired complete.

19. Autobot HipHop

Autobot HipHop Covert Operations

Yeah, but I hear lame comments for EVERY trailer I go see. And I'm not exaggerating.

There is always some wise guy or three who take the opportunity to play like Jay Leno during the trailers :(  It's really quite annoying.

Not to mention these same kinds of folk who like to joke during the flick, chair kickers...man don't get me started on the whole movie going crowd.

Ya know, right before they show the "silence is golden" turn your cell phone off reminder they should do another mini ad to tell people quit trying to be funny in theaters. I know i'm not the only one who is greatly annoyed by this!

...and THAT, ladies and gentleman, is why DVD's will always rock harder.

/rant off

20. BeastWars 4ever

BeastWars 4ever Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I liked SM3. Pirates ruled beyond belief. It's gonna make a ton of money.