Suggestions on what to do with these VHS episodes?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Smokescreen38, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

Back before the DVD box sets came out (1999-ish) Rhino released a whole bunch of random episodes on VHS. I snatched them up and really enjoyed them but soon thereafter, the DVD sets came out.

I kept them around because these are un-monkey'd prints of the episodes. No added sound effects or colors and they seem to have been made from the broadcast masters- so its more true to the original viewing experience.

Not many people even have VHS players- do you think its even worth putting them on Ebay?

There are twelve volumes plus the "Heroes" tape and the oddball Blockbuster exclusive tape that I was so psyched to find at the time... they feature episodes from throughout the run of the show.

While I know I wont get anything close to my money back on these, any suggestions on where to get rid of these for something other than "free" would be greatly appreciated!

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I have no idea. I still have a "more than meets the eye" BETA tape that I don't know what to do with.

3. xblackzarakx

xblackzarakx New Member

I've bought a couple of VHS tapes from ebay, mainly for my own sentimental value, i got "the rebirth" for £2.50 and £2.49 of that was postage so i dunno if they're gonna be worth keeping hold of if you expect them to increase in value!

always fun to keep though to remind you of your youth i guess

4. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

i have an original F.H.E version VHS VOL1. ( wich contains the first 3 episodes. MTMTE 1,2, and 3). i'm keeping this for sentimental value, even though i dont own VHS anymore

5. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

pull them apart and use the tape to lash together a raft for future island escapes

6. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    I should point out that theoretically, if your VHS tapes came from good stock and were stored properly throughout your ownership of them, they most likely would last you decades... as long as you don't have giant magnets around.

DVD media, as well as other forms of optical storage are unproven and rather crap at long-term storage.

7. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Um what? DVDs last way longer than tapes, regarding both playback quality and storage. You should get a DVD recorder and copy those tapes to DVD format. The tapes will eventually start degrading, unlike DVDs.

8. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    I have about 20 VHS tapes (including MTMTE, The Rebirth, The Girl Who Loved Powerglide etc etc) that I've picked up along the years from carboots, charity shops and the like, and I have no idea what to do with them either. I don't imagine they'd sell for very much, although the boxes all look cool and old-school.

Also have BW seasons 2 and 3 on VHS, which would be worth even less I'm guessing, especially as each season has one episode missing for some bizarre reason. Does anyone know why this was, by the way, it annoyed the hell out of me. This is in the UK by the way, realeased, ummmmm, about 2000/1?

9. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    I beg to differ - optical formats, particularly burnt optical media cannot be relied upon for long-term storage. How many of us has had well-stored, good-branded CDs and DVDs mysteriously fail or suffer data corruption after a few years? Keep VHS tapes well stored and and they will last decade - and that's proven.

Taiyo Yuden makes the best optical media is the best you can buy, but it can be difficult to track down, and it can be difficult to tell exactly which known brand is currently using their media (usually Verbatim).

10. Shipley

Shipley No Topic Required

News Credits:
    Vinyl records don't degrade over time, only over playback. VHS, CDs, and DVDs will all degrade eventually. burned CDs can fail in as little as 5 years.

11. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

You won't get much money for VHS there days. If they have any of your favorite episodes on them, why not keep them in case your DVDs get scratched or something?

12. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

Heh. I've got an "SOS Dinobots" BETA cassette sitting in my closet.

I loved those old FHE releases, if only for the cheesy comics on the back of the boxes.

I also have a slew of the Rhino VHS tapes that I'm not sure what to do with. I figured that I might as well keep them because they are taken from the broadcast masters and have less animation screw-ups, but then I bought the Japanse Pioneer DVD sets, which used the broadcast versions, so my VHSs are now entirely obsolete.

They're worth pennies, now, so I might as well chuck em. I'm keeping the BETA tape out of sentimental reasons, though.

13. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I not only have those same VHS tapes, I bought the actual "box sets" of them ... I was such a giddy child when I got "The Return of Optimus Prime" as I hadn't seen it since the 80's.

14. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

Well, personally I'd gladly give them away to any local kiddies to try and ignite some TF interest in the run-up to the movie.
    At best you'll sell them as collectables for a few pounds (dollars, whatever!) - Hardly seems worth the effort.

15. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I gave all my VHS away to GI Joe collectors in hopes of converting them. :D 

16. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

I've still got my Rhino VHS tapes around here somewhere, too... I'll sell 'em cheap to anyone who wants them, provided I can find them.

17. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I actually just finished tossing a whole bunch of old TF VHS tapes a wile back.