Customs: Suggestions for photo light box building

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by SmokescreenSWE, Aug 31, 2007.

1. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I figured this would go here...

I'm trying to build a light box to take pictures of my customs (and other stuff). I've built the framework, a 60x60x50 cm box with a floor, and I'm going to build shelves that I can move around in it for group shots. Now the question is how to arrange lighting. I bought three small 40W spotlights/reading lamps and clamped them around the structure pointing at the top and sides of the box, where I have some light, neutral cloth. The problem is, this gets hot very quickly and I don't think the instructions are kidding about not putting stuff near these lamps.

Oh, and even with these three lights straight at my test dummy in the middle, it was fairly dark inside.

So, how do I set up lights to get a good, neutral light everywhere inside this box, without, hopefully, burning down my house?

2. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Okay, taking away the cloth entirely gives me much better light. Here's a test shot (which also happens to be a preview of my Alternator Divebomb :D  ) which looks quite decent with light only from the box (the light in the room was off). However, this restricts my possibilities in terms of angles, if the figures have to be standing against the back wall at all times. So is it at all possible to do the light through the cloth thing?

[​IMG]

3. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    If the cloth is too thick, try tissue paper. It's cheap as hell too and you won't have to put the lamps right next to it either.

And you can control the opacity by just adjusting layers of tissue, ya know?

4. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I;m anxious to see how this comes out for you. Keep us updated. I am always happy with how my bashes look, but my photos look like shit

5. Wiggyof09

Wiggyof09 Well-Known Member

I've never made a lighting box, but if the lamps are too hot maybe you could use those compact florescent bulbs. They shouldn't get as hot as incandescent bulbs. Also you can get bright white bulbs which I prefer for everything. Sadly all the ones I have are that awful soft white.

6. ROCK_LEE

ROCK_LEE Well-Known Member

i tried to make one before long ago. Used pvc and cloth. After tweaking and trying it, i decided to just buy a tent online. Trust me, and save yourself the hassle especially if your gonna be using it alot. I got a big one from ebay seller amvona for like 40$ shipped which is dirt cheap, and easy to store b/c its collapsable, VS. building a contraption on your desk.

For lights use the natural daylight bulbs from walmart. Ones that look like this.
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5984213
    They stay very cool. I've had them on for hours taking pictures for auctions and they never felt hot.

there are cheaper ones depending on output, i got 2x bulbs for like 8$.

also its best not to use lamps, since they don't spread the light out wide enough. They have these reflective housings at walmart for like 5$, that clip on to things. I"ll try to find you a pic.