Customs: Suggestions for painting

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by msnimmrtls, Aug 17, 2005.

1. msnimmrtls

msnimmrtls Active Member

I am planning to make a set of Energon Combiner limbs into an Energon type G1 Computron and Abominus (Steamhammer as a Black Beast Machines Megatron = BADASS).

What would be the best way of painting? I was thinking for major/main color changes airbrushing the parts for each individual bot and then hand applying the detail pieces.

What I am asking is what is the best brand/type of paint to use when customizing/repainting figures?

I have been using Testors but it takes a long time to dry and sometimes fades rather quickly. I have heard of a brand of paint called Tamiya (sorry if I spelled it wrong) but where could I buy it?

Brushes - What would be the recommended type of brush to use? Is there a recommended type of brush to use?

Clear coating - Besides spray paint is there anywhere/ any suggested source for Clear top coat paint to keep chipping (major) and fading to a minimum.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I've been using the Testors acrylics, and haven't had any problems with drying times, or fading. I know most people who use model paint swear by the Tamiya, but I used it once (the acrylic line) and wasn't impressed. Maybe I've just been spoiled by being able to dump the Testors straight into my airbrush, without needing to thin it.

A lot of the kitbashers are using the Krylon Fusion spray paint, these days. I've had touble with it drying soft and tacky, if I handled it with out letting it dry for a few days first. I seem to be the only one who's had that problem. so it might just be me.

If you're using an airbrush, Future floor polish makes an excellent clear coat. It's acryllic, and thin enough to spray well straight out of the bottle. It dries to hard durable finish, but I'd suggest letting it dry over night. You don't need to wait that long, between coats, though.

3. GALVATOM

GALVATOM Well-Known Member

sorry i cant help, i just wanted to say what a great idea this is

4. msnimmrtls

msnimmrtls Active Member

If I can get my pics to load here I will post them once they are completed.