Customs: Suggestions for base figure of custom project

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by xerox, Oct 10, 2012.

1. xerox

xerox New Member

While I'm not really huge into Transformers, I've always held a liking towards them. Therefore, I'm not incredibly knowledgeable of all the figures and characters, but I do love customizing action figures.

Basically, what I'm getting at is that I've been planning on building a custom Transformer based on my own car, a Jeep Cherokee. I've found a model to use as the base for the car, but I'd like to know what Transformer toy you'd all recommend me to build it on top of!

I've done a little researching, but I figured I'd ask the experts on this one. Here's a link to the case I plan on using, which includes measurements, to ensure it fits whatever transformer you recommend. (Unless of course it's in totally the wrongscale, in which case I've been looking at getting a 3d printing of the car done instead. )

Pro-Line 1992 Jeep Cherokee Body 3321 for Rock Crawler

Thanks for any advice in advance, and I look forward to spending more time here on the board!

2. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

Whenever I see Jeep, I think about the wrangler Alternators. But those are 1:25 scale.

maybe the Roadbots (by happywell), they have a 1:18 scale land rover and hummer.

you don't have to use the same vehicle type as a base, but since you are starting out it may be easier. when you start getting into that large of scale (1:10), your options for toys as a base are limited. Those specs said the body was 18" long. thats pretty big. You are basically stuck with Cybertron metroplex, Unicron, or Supreme Starscream as a base figure. Even primus would be a little small.

3. xerox

xerox New Member

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into those. I guess I hadn't really considered just how big that Cherokee body is!

I suppose I was more looking for suggestions on which robot characters would allow for the transformation to still work properly, and the vehicle build to still be similar, so as to make for an easy customization. The look of the robot mode doesn't matter too much, since I'm sure any would look cool.

And as for size, I've got a 3d model I could have correctly scaled for 3d printing on the transformer of my choosing. That even sounds like a better option to me, depending on price. Thanks for the heads up about size concerns though, I was pretty anxious to go ahead and buy that body. Good to know!

4. shinobi77

shinobi77 Fatbastard

Ebay:
    Generally speaking, most classics-verse (deluxe figures) cars are 1/32. That scale is kind of a bugger to find.
    Most of the jets (seekers like starscream, again deluxe class figs) are roughly 1/100.
    The tanks and other military vehicles are all over the place.
    Hopefully that gives you something to start with.

5. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

well if you can go the 3D route, then the next question would be what size would you like it to be. Deluxe, voyager? Again, the Alternators Hound/Swindle could work well. Swindle has bigger tires.
    It just depends on what look you want for your custom. using a 3D printed body opens up so many possibilities....now you just have to narrow that down again. :thumb 

6. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Take a look at the Smokescreen build in my signature. That was a 1:10 scale car fitted onto Unicron, who is probably the biggest figure you can get at a reasonable price. But since that car is much bigger than a Datsun, you might still end up with a robot folded inside a pile of car kibble.

Another option would be to find a smaller version of the car and reshell it onto a Leader Ironhide.