Suggestions for a general "Table of Contents" sticky

Discussion in 'Transformers Funnies' started by Coolhand, Jul 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coolhand

Coolhand Spiff's Stunt Double

Okay, I’ve had an idea batting around in my head, ever since I did a quick summary of a few of the shinki photo comics for a post inquiring about the links between Transformers and Shinkis
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/2241691-post4830.html

Here’s the problem. At the moment, anyone who enters the Funnies forum out of curiosity gets a long list of thread titles with no real idea of what’s in the threads. So my idea is for a stickied “contents” thread for the forum that would list the various strips on display here and give a quick synopsis of what the strip is about and the general “tone” of the work.

Using the current tutorial thread as a model, we could group the contents pages into types so one post would list the pure “humour” threads like Shane's Comics or Grimlock 13’s Attempts At Funnies, and another post might list “Serious” threads like Roll Call or Warring at Play.
    Perhaps they could be categorised again into “active” threads (updated within say a month “inactive” threads not updated in a month or “finished” threads (the author has finished their story or has stated that they are not continuing it)
    I think this would have the following advantages:

-Mainly, it means that newcomers to this forum can quickly hunt down the kind of thing that they are after (something funny/serious) and the synopsis might even whet the appetites for others to visit threads they have not yet had chance to explore
    -Additionally, once an artist has completed his work, it’ll stay visible rather than dropping down page after page and being lost in the depths of the forum. (I for one fear my work vanishing forever once the last update has been posted.)

What do you guys think? Good idea? Bad idea? Any suggestions to improve the idea?
    (I’d be happy to take charge of the index thread, if no-one else wanted the job.)

2. Dremare

Dremare Had an Epiphany

Sounds good to me. Better than searching for any comic I want to read. We could use your ideas to make it. Plus, we should make it tell us the author, and make it a link to their profile. Does that sound good to anyone?

3. Freyabeads

Freyabeads TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yes, yes yes yes!

4. optimusprimus

optimusprimus Mastermind of Gundams

Sounds like a good idea to me. :3

5. Jazzy Zx

Jazzy Zx Wants too be called Jz :P

News Credits:
    Sounds very useful coolhand!
    Hope you mods are reading this!

6. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    Oh, that sounds good. Kinda like the TFR ToC, but with less dead links, and more info. And more updating....

7. puppylove

puppylove mini ops caretaker

News Credits:
    oh! that is a good idea! i am in!!

8. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

It would depend on the thoroughness of the table, and if people can agree what catagory their comic belongs to.

9. Otispq

Otispq Elocution Onymous

News Credits:
    if you've ever wandered around in the hinterlands of the funnies, you'd see plenty of good stuff that time forgot. I like this idea if only for the fact that it would allow someone who, let's say, only likes G1 figures talking bad about later figs, to find strips of that nature. I don't think the index should be that specific, but I know that the tags we've got on our strips would surely help, and ought to be utilized. The funnies creator can add whatever tags he/she needs to get/help the searcher to find what they are looking for.

Not to make anyone angry, but purely as an example: Shanes currently stickied Obsidians Lament comic is done. Surely at some point it will be, unstickied (?) and shortly disappear into the back pages. I think we all can agree that his is one of the best non-commercial examples of tf comics, and of what this whole section of the website is about. If an index were available then surely this and other fine threads that are done won't just disappear. I for one would love to find other finished comics that I haven't read, but I'm also totally loving the random crapology/one shots.
    Finding immediately something that I'm in the mood for right now would sure be nice. Sometimes you've only got a few minutes for being online, and want a quick funny without having to get clued in.

Excellent idea Coolhand. Part of me says that the other sticky of "post your main cast" should be integrated into this, though. Like the index should give the link first to the casting area, so that the reader can get introduced to the cast, then that link should link to the creators actual thread. That way if I don't want to read 250+ updates of Grimlock_13's story, but want to join in at where it is currently, at least I get an idea of who/what/where, etc.

Have you talked to Buzzbeak yet?

10. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    Since Buzzbeak wants to keep 'above the line' relatively uncluttered, maybe a TOC like this could replace the 'major characters' sticky? Or augment it?

11. Ripclaw

Ripclaw DementedDino1

DO IT DO IT DO IT

and i have 2 comics

one funny one serious

so that works for me

12. NotAnAutobot

NotAnAutobot Jus' makin' some comics..

I think that's an amazing idea, which could let some of the more overlooked comics be brought up to light, and make sure the great ones are never forgotten. If this is done, I'm definitely in.

13. Coolhand

Coolhand Spiff's Stunt Double

Yeah, some good suggestions there.

I'm chatting to Buzzbeak about it at the moment about it. He's mentioned that the Who Who thread was originaly desgined to do this, but has fallen into disuse.

Yeah, I'm sure the information in those stickies could be incorperated into a new general TOC, thus reducing the overall number of stickies.

So, keeping the tutorial thread as an example, maybe the first couple of posts list the funnies, split into "Funny" and "Serious" or other sub-types with a quick synposis of the work, with links that take you to a more indepth look at the work, including the Who's Who and Post your cast-list information?

14. puppylove

puppylove mini ops caretaker

News Credits:
    i think a TOC would really we such a wonderful thing for this forum, and i agree maybe it could take the place of the cast listing.

15. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    I think the problem with the 'who's who' thread is that it comes across as more of a 'biographical' thread rather than a table of contents. You still have to wade through page after page to get to some of the later comics, so it's not really less labor-intensive than looking through the forum itself.

How about a straight table of contents at the beginning of that thread, with links both to the comic thread itself in the forum, and a link below that to the author's entry on the Who's who thread?

Example:

Renidragon's Ridiculous Randomness: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-funnies/97652-renidragons-rediculous-randomness.html
    about the author: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/728385-post10.html

Shane's Comics: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-funnies/91364-shanes-comics.html
    about the author: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/728992-post12.html

And so on. It eliminates the need for a new thread, revives the Who's Who thread, and makes it simpler to use. It would take a little time to set up, and would need to be updated from time to time, but it would be a practical jumping off point for the forum. And new comic-makers could still post summaries of their comic at the end of the thread.

16. Z.U.D.O.N

Z.U.D.O.N Camshaft's Master

I'm ok with that idea. :)  Sounds cool and efficient. :D 

17. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

That works for me. I think an index would be perfect for sorting everything and everyone out.

18. Dremare

Dremare Had an Epiphany

Okay, works for me.

19. Deviant Anomaly

Deviant Anomaly Obsotted Fangirl

My only concern with listing by genre are the ones that fall into a grey area. For example my comic is mainly humorous, but ocassionally features a serious storyline. So I don't know what I would categorize it as then.

I like the idea of merging the main cast thread into the table of contents though since that is information which could be mentioned in the synposis.

Good idea, Coolhand. I'm all for it. :) 

20. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner Coolhand, been wrapped up in the podcast thing. If you want to type something up I'll post and sticky it for you. It would most likely replace the major character and the who's who threads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.