Suggested improvement for thread format

Discussion in 'TFW2005 Tech Support' started by unicronic, Jun 10, 2014.

1. unicronic

unicronic TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Hi All,

Just a suggestion on threads that are time sensitive e.g. movie releases, merchandise releases, conventions etc.

We often get newcomers who join a thread that is 100's of pages old and don't know where to start to get the latest status of the project (usually that info gets lost in the noise).

Is there any chance we can get a persistent panel, maybe next to the quick reply section, that has information on the status.

For example: when were new images added, is the project concept, pre-order, available now etc.

This will help people who aren't as intensely active as the core users here to extract the essential info.

Just a thought.

2. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    While that is certainly a good idea, such a system would have to be manually updated and I'm sure Tony B would tell me it would be a pain to code.

The problem with it being manually updated would be that the information would only be as accurate as whatever the last time someone updated it would be. I noticed in the other thread a few people were saying about having people update the first couple of posts in a thread, and that does work out the best way to accomplish this within the constraints of what we have now. It's also basically the same as the whole panel idea, just focused on the first post in a thread.

Unfortunately you'd get people scrolling past either one, I see that all the time no matter how obvious / easy you make things for people.

Fantastic idea and I'm down for anything that makes threads more accessible / easy to follow for everyone. It's part of why we've been trialing getting individual bits of 3P combiners into their own threads. Ultimately though it's going to be easiest to get people to keep their first posts updated with the current info which we've got a good solid core of people doing already.

3. unicronic

unicronic TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Certainly understand that it takes time (and money) to implement new features but figured it is best to speak up just in case it helps out.