Suddenly Microsoft isn't so bad.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Prowl, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No this has nothing to do with 360.

So as some of you guys know, I edit video for a living (commercials, promos, animation, documenteries of llamatron's balls). Well recently our PC Avid was replaced with a Mac Final Cut pro. Not my choice (but I have never been a PC vs. Mac guy, as I really don't care so long as it gets the job done).

But judging by those PC vs Mac commercials, the Mac is a very reliable system and Microsoft's windows is a faulty piece of turd that has mac users sporting bumper stickers and stalking people at Best Buys to convince them to get macs instead of PCs.

So with an open mind, I go into this migration into macs, and for the most part, I am pleased. Final Cut is a Toy, yet a robust and very workable editor, but my after effects crashes like it's a drunk driver after prom.

Well this morning I am working on a commercial, fully confident in the system I am using, and I make a simple (-see "simple") edit, and BAM, Final Cut crashes with not a warning or reason. I lost an hour work meticulous layering work. Should I have been saving? "Absolutely", but I was so used to Avid doing it on the cool while I was working.

Now I can see some Hybrid-driving, Green-Peace-loving, nerd say "Well if a mac crashed, it must be a user error"... "Nice PR, turd". But if making a simple three-point edit is a user error, then I need to tone down my expectations of what a stable editing software is supposed to do and go back to reel-to-reel.

Rant over....

Windows is not the most stable system in the world (Linux is), and Microsoft, not the most innocent money-making company in the universe. And Bill Gates is not Jesus, but at least MS doesn't put out ads personifying the competition like some idiot with so many flaws, while the reality of it is that, yes, for grandma looking at photos at home, the mac is probably blissful, but for people who use them for hi-end compositing and editing, they are simply toys with a "cool" attitude attached to them....

(takes a breath)

Ok, Rant over. Move along

2. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    you should bitch abt it to your tech guy.

i worked on the interior of a post-production studio one time and had a go over of the stuff used. obviously the pc vs mac debate is superficial when you got lots of stuff working together.

but really, thos mac ads? there not for you high end users, guy.

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    nah, you're right, they're for grandmas and grandpas, but they are still full of hot air, because I could see myself working on Final Cut at home and this happening. The problem with talking to my engineers is that there is no crash message, it just goes pooooooop, and it's gone. I'm going back to my trigger "save" finger.

4. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    God those Mac commercials irritate me to no end.

As a gamer, obviously I opt for PCs. Macs are absolute shit when it comes to gaming. Sure they are nice for other things, but I just hate how arrogant a lot of Mac users seem to get.

Yay, semi-rants >_>

I use a Mac in my graphics class. Actually did have it crash on me in the middle of a rather big assignment too.

-_-, save, save, save.....yeah, the one time I don't it crashes.

5. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    im with WC in that, you just use whatever works, but since i owned an ipod, i been hanging around at the more casual apple forums... and theyre mostly populated by prissy trend following kids XD

so yeah, its not so much the tech (for me at least) but the cultural baggage that comes with it.

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah exactly. It's more the attitude that comes with owning one than them actually being any good, or better, than PCs.

They need to watch the Hybrid South Park Episode.

PCs aren't perfect, but no one claims that they are. Macs aren't perfect, but by the ravings, one would think that they could be used to run Artificial Intelligence

7. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I have a Mac and a PC, and I will probably always have both. I like my Mac, but I am hardly a pro Mac-y Lacky. With that said My Mac does crash on occasion, but no where close to my PC, or any PC, that I have owned or used for long periods.

I understand where you are coming from, but it sounds like you are frustrated because you had an app crash on you once, you lost a bunch of work because, admittedly, you didn't save, and now you are blaming the OS for something that was probably an app error and has nothing to do with your rant.

If I had lost an "hours worth of meticulous work," even on Windows, I would not crucify the OS, I would pound my head in the wall because it was my fault.

Unless it was Vista, then I would just cop out and blame the OS, because it was Vista's fault. :)  I actually like XP.

8. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i work with memory intensive apps. i just save like crazy man. i dont even trust when they have autosaves. its just that, when youre up at 3am and the app crashes at 6am, and the deadline is 9am, youre brain doesnt work well around that time.

9. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    See this? Golden rule, whatever platform you're using. Save, save, save.

10. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i even make copies of saves at interval. you never know when those critical errors corrupt your working file. draven works 3d, he know what im talking about.

11. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Damn right. I do incremental saves after pretty much every alteration I make to a model, and a full back up once every 2 days. It's saved my ass quite a few times.

12. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

I converted from the PC to the Mac because of reliability and speed. And with the new OS X (Leopard) there's Boot Camp. I have Windows XP installed on a small partition of my HD for games and that's it. XP has never run better.

Aside from the "save save save" - does Final Cut Pro have any autosave feature or backup feature? I don't have the software so I don't know. I do know this: if the Macs you have @ work are running Leopard, they should have an application included called Time Machine. Time Machine can be set up to do automatic backups periodically, though I think it requires external storage. Like someone else said, talk to your IT people.

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I save compulsively on After effects (even back up itterations) but on my editor, Avid saves every 3 minutes, and any time you close a session, so I was really spoiled by that. I still did the occational CTRL S, but still, I never lost work on my avid. I miss her :( 

14. skywarp

skywarp The extra Autobot

I do not want to comment on the Mac vs pc debate. But your comment that linux is the best is funny since the Mac runs Unix which linux is copy of.

Also in final cut, I do not have it on my laptop but I am almost postive there is a save timer you can set like in word.

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There is an autosave, but it's intrusive. Avid's autosave happens without you even noticing it, Final Cut's stops everything you are doing. My opinion on Linux is based on little knowledge, it was just a toss in.