Sudden urge of regret...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by G1Prowl, Aug 5, 2011.

1. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Autobot Strategist

Alright, so I bought extras of each US release of the Lambo bros and was about to get a third Generations Red Alert when I had a horrific OCD moment.

My plan was to custom up the Diaclone versions of the molds which I had succeeded in doing with Red Sunstreaker and Tigertrack. Got an extra Sunstreaker head for the second RA, and while I was at work I thought about something: the original Sunstreaker mold in all incarnations had a chrome spoiler. I quickly ran to the comp at work and looked up the Henkei releases of Sideswipe, Sunstreaker, and Red Alert. Sure enough, chrome spoilers on all of them. So now I'm contemplating chasing down the Henkei versions solely for this customizing project, well after the price on all of them has spiked beyond sanity.

Any thoughts or similar experiences? Better version of a mold you own coming out, anything like that?

2. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Alclad.

3. G1Prowl

Is that some kind of chroming kit?

4. wildfly

News Credits:
    Spray can or airbrush. Goes over a gloss black base.

Personally, i think the airbrush method works better.

If you don't have an Airbrush to hand, maybe someone in Radicons would be willing to help.

5. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

You could always paint the spoilers chrome silver. It know it's not the same as actual chrome, but if you're looking for a cheaper DIY method...

6. mentok27

mentok27 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    KOtoys did a sideswipe kit recently that was essentially a DIY model kit. The plan was for the kit to be available in 12+ colors but the mold broke(or something) and only black was made.... The kits have sold out but they have diaclone black sideswipe(deep cover) available.

Point of the story is with anyluck they'll get te mold fixed and pump out some more variants.

7. wildfly

News Credits:
    Thinned properly... Tamiya Silver Chome creates a fairly reflective surface.

Emphasis on properly though.

And again, i think it works best Airbrushed.

8. Timesynch

Timesynch Is a Bad Hombre!

News Credits:
    I can relate a little. I bought the Hasbro versions of most of the Deluxe Classics bots from the Season 1 Ark crew with the intention of pimping them out with Reprolabels. Not the most cost effective method since it's still pricy, but I like customizing my figures with stickers.

I have been comparing the Henkei versions and they seem more consistent with colors and details than their Hasbro counterparts, and the chrome is a nice touch in the right places. I'm not too broken up about it (the Voyagers I have are Henkei though) since I bought them more to be a completist than for any real love for the individual characters (except my man Wheeljack; I love the Generations version waaaaaay more than the United one, especially with his 539 sticker set on him).

Still, a little silver or chrome DIY can't hurt the figures any, or maybe some of Process's Shapeways add-ons (the Prowl mold's torso-filler, for example).

Testors makes a very cheap ~$22 camo stencil airbrush kit that uses screw on caps that fit over enamel/acrylic paint bottles, and rely on cans of compressed air as propellant. It's a cheaper alternative than blowing $200 on a professional airbrush and electric air compressor unit.

9. Napjr

Napjr <b><font color=gold>Mr. Internet</font><br><font c Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You could always buy the reprolabels Sunstreaker kit and use the spoiler stickers...

10. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Does it have to be Show accurate?

11. G1Prowl

It's TOY accurate. I was basing this off of the Diaclone and US versions of the original Sunstreaker toy.

12. LSyd

LSyd Well-Known Member