Sucker Punch - a new movie by Zack Snyder

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Gordon_4, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Mumps

Mumps <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

I saw the film in IMAX today. The only way I can describe it was... fucking fantastic! I know a lot of people didn't like it, but I actually really enjoyed the story. The characters were great, the ending was a little bit WTF, but still good.

What didn't I like? Well, they went a bit overboard with the slow motion. I thought it was well used in most of the film, however in the train scene... they hit the slow-mo-brakes like a hyper kid high on sugar pressing a shiny button on and off on and off on and off on and off.

I give it an 8.5/10. I came out of the movie having had a ton of fun watching. The movie lost points with me because it had a little bit too much slow motion, and while the story was great, it wasn't perfect.

What can I say other than, this was my kind of movie!

2. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

I liked it. I thought it was unique, very well done in the visual department and had a killer soundtrack - Bjork's "Army of Me" will be playing on my player for a long, long time.

The first thing I did once the movie was over was purchase the soundtrack. Loved all of the tracks used in the movie.

I think story wise, it could've been more coherent, and been given a bit more depth. But I liked Babydoll and Sweet Pea (I think Sweet Pea mirrored Babydoll, so it made sense that when Sweet Pea gained freedom, Babydoll did to, in a way). Both actresses were good.

As far as the critics go....this movie is like American McGee's Alice meets 300. I don't remember hearing such strong criticisms of 300, which was also a glorified action movie done in Snyder's extreme visual style.

I wouldn't say the movie was fantastic, but I don't think it deserves the hate it's getting either.

3. Cliff_prime

Cliff_prime Banned

Come on was it really that bad, I never read the novel so is it like watchmen.
    (I liked watchmen)

4. MegatronSupporter

MegatronSupporter Well-Known Member

Nvm, imo the only person who did the fantasizing was Baby Doll. I think that the movie was mostly about Baby Doll.

5. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    I viewed the Sucker Punch last night. I thought it was really good. The whole orphan thing was fucked up and kind of interesting. I guess it got a little repetitive (plan, dance, action x4.). The ending caught me off guard,
    I didn't think that most of them would die.

I don't claim to know fucking anything about movies, but I certainly dug it. It was heavy on style and cool visuals, and I actually cared about the characters enough to call the guy with the pencil mustache a "dick" out loud. Not Watchmen good, but still a solid 8/10.

6. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    saw it and really liked it. It made me think about the story for a couple of days. Basically, not what we saw, but what we didn't see....

7. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

Yesterday afternoon I went to this with my wife and friend. All three of us really liked it. It is really heavy on the visuals, which is mostly a good thing. I will agree that the stop/start action got a bit tedious. I thought the story was good and engaging. I also plan to get the sountrack because the music was awesome.

8. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    Good action scenes, but everything else was pretty much crap. The three level reality was poorly executed, muddled, confusing and there was no emotional attachment to any of the girls developed through any of it. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

9. MegatronSupporter

MegatronSupporter Well-Known Member

What makes this movie great is that it's pretty damn colorful and interesting.

10. TwoKingMick

TwoKingMick Mick

Saw it today. It's excellent....period.

I love sweeping statements.

11. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Holy fuck. I have never, EVER seen a film that bad.

EVER.

And I've seen ROTF 3 times :( 

12. Silk Spectre

You haven't seen Batman & Robin?

Story wise, the movie definitely needed work.

13. Erector

News Credits:
    Yes I have. I'd argue this is worse!!!

Nipples would've helped it.

14. Silk Spectre

Nothing I've seen comes close to the pain of Batman and Robin. I remember seeing that in the theater with my mom.... *shudders* We both hated it, but we didn't want to walk out.

15. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    This film is becoming very polarizing, lots of love it or hate it. An unexpected development indeed.

16. Erector

News Credits:
    We didn't walk out of Suckerpunch - basically because we wanted to see if it could get any worse, and it generally did :lol 

17. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Saw this today and while I can see why some people hate it, I loved it. The story was interesting, I felt for the girls and hated that Orderly, which IMO means they wrote him perfectly. Action was amazing though Zack was going a bit overboard with the slow downs(he's like a kid with his toy with that technique) and I think if he used it more sparingly a lot of people wouldn't complain about it as much. My only real complaint is that I'm not sure why the movie is called Sucker Punch.

Also, did anyone else think that the Wise Man was Leonard Nimoy? At least to me he looked and sounded very much like him.

18. night-skyward

night-skyward Collects animated, mainly

Freaking epic ! saw it not too long ago and just thought it was awesome. I can't really see the problems that some people are having with it =\ but hey ho, I enjoyed it and it's a really good film to pick apart and analyse =]

19. RebelMan

RebelMan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    first off, i loved it & am eagerly awaiting the Blu-ray.

second off, i think this is Snyder's/WB's PG-13 live-action version of the 1981 Animated R-rated film "Heavy Metal".

third off, i think the reason it's suffering so much is cause of the way it was advertised in similar vain to the way "Pan's Labyrinth" was & that it should have been R-rated instead of PG-13.

20. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

I don't think that would be it at all considering all the stuff that was advertised constantly is about the only thing that anyone has really been able to say was any good on any level.