styrofoam vs plastic insert packaging?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SideSwipe82, Apr 29, 2008.

1. SideSwipe82

SideSwipe82 Well-Known Member

I just want to know what all the fans prefer? I like styrofoam packaging over plastic inserts for the larger Transformers, it is nice and tight, also eliminates all the twist and ties. this is my .02 cents.:) 

When did Hasbro stop using styrofoam to package toys/transformers? Is the cost that much cheaper with plastic inserts? enviromental friendly?

thanks

2. undertaker

undertaker Deadman's Disciple

Styrofoam all the way, for exactly the reasons you stated and the whole vintage factor.

To me, plastic inserts only have the advantage of letting you see figures from multiple angles.

3. Elvin Pena

Elvin Pena <b><font color=red>CyberCon is #1!</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    I've always preffered styrofoam as well. I think it just makes for a much nicer overall presentation.

4. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I miss the styrofoam.

5. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Styrofoam. Since they allready show you the figure in both modes on the box, there's no point in seeing the whole figure through a plastic tray. Styrofoam also means safer shipping, the boxes won't crumble as easy (if at all).

6. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    Plastic, it looks cleaner inside the packaging and you don't have to worry about dust staining it.

7. silverstreak70

silverstreak70 Well-Known Member

Styrofoam for the simple reason of not having to mess with all the twisties. I've kept all of the boxes and cards that have come with my new transformers, but not any of the inserts, whether they be styro or plastic.

8. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Plastic. It lets the toy in-box to be seen all around as well as in different angles that might be more appealing. This is especially nice with a toyline like Alternators that look really nice in the all plastic casing. I'm not a MISB collector but it would help me resist opening a toy if it looked good in-box, especially for packing in robot mode like the movie Battle Scene sets which look great in-box and wouldn't be possible in styrofoam. And for everyone that complains of twist ties, get a pair of nail clippers to cut them out with and they're no big deal.

9. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Plastic IF it's like a lot of the Japanese toys where it's a plastic tray molded to fit all/most of the toy, and another molded plastic piece on top that covers the entire larger piece. Minimal or NO twisties. Love that shit.

Failing that, I'd rather have styrofoam than either a tiny piece of plastic molded to fit the butt of the toy and then held into place by 723 twist ties, or even the Alternators bubbles that have all those damn flaps taped to the underside of the cardboard tray. Death to both.

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Styrofoam. I just like styrofoam.:p 

11. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

Styrofoam all the way!

Aw,hell! There's something else we agree on! You're in trouble now!:tongue: 

12. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Styrofoam, it stays the same shape and it's easy removing & putting pieces back in it. It also keeps the whole box from getting squashed. Will always love the nostalgia factor too it, and it makes my figures look more, um, valuable?. The styrofoam itself is more valuable, since companies prefer plastic now to save money.
    It does have it's flaws though

Plastic trays are too loud and bendy, and not as protective.
    At my age I need to be able to open toys stealthily, so my whole family does'nt know Im ripping open toys in the middle of the night

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  13. Acidophilus

Acidophilus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I prefer Styrofoam.

14. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

In the late 80's and early 90's there were quite a few reports that "Styrofoam" was not very bio-degradable and that more then 1/4 of the U.S.'s trash stock piles were full of items made from Styrofoam.

The environmental groups petition law makers to regulate companies that used Styrofoam products forcing them to change the standers on how and when Styrofoam is used to package goods.

While the toy business was not the main target of change [MC Donald's and other fast food restaurants were] it did have to change from using Styrofoam on its packages.

15. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

Plastic, see G1 cars.

16. Chaos Sorcerer

Chaos Sorcerer Well-Known Member

I perfer the plastic trays for storage reasons. I've found if you leave something sitting in styrofoam for a long time, eventually the foam seems to almost, for lack of a better word "melt" onto whatever's in it. Little bits of it kind of stick to whatever was in the box.