Customs: styrene

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Blurr ftw, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Blurr ftw

Blurr ftw Quick draw

what thickness is best for use with tfs?

2. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    It depends on what you're working with. I use some thick and thin sheet styrene, but the most used are the thinner type sheets (honestly not sure of the thickness I use--I usually just eyeball what I think I'll need and go with it). You can use thin sheets to build up the thickness you need or you can go with sheets that are thicker.

3. Blurr ftw

Blurr ftw Quick draw

i cant buy it from the stores here i have to order it off the internet so i cant eye it

4. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    you can always buy thin and "stack" it. Super gluing layers. Then fine tune with sanding.

5. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    If you're just starting out with styrene, I'd suggest getting a couple of these: Odds & Ends (evg9002) Evergreen Model Scratch Building Plastic Sheets Rods Tubes Strips

It has a nice assortment of styrene from very thin sheets to thick sheets (some sheets are small though) and it also has some small tube and rod styrene.

I've used both Evergreen and Plastruct styrene. I still have some sheet styrene from Plastruct that I'm using on current projects, so I'll list the sizes I use in that and maybe you can compare that to the work I've done and see if those sizes might work for you. Again, it's hard to tell you a specific size when I'm not sure what you might use it on (it could be too thick or too thin for the bot you decide to use).

Here are the sizes I usually use in Plastruct (with links to them on hobbylinc.com):

.020"
    .060"
    .080"

I use the .020 and the .060 mostly. When I need to build a thick part, I use the .080 (or you can use thinner sheets to layer it up to the thickness you need.

6. Blurr ftw

Blurr ftw Quick draw

i bought 1 odds and ends and 1 .20 and .60