Stupid Lord of the Rings Questions

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Predakwon, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So I was watching the Trilogy again and the one obvious point I'm missing is why does everyone want the ring? It just makes you invisible.

Now, don't get me wrong, being invisible has it's tactical advantages, but in times of these wars what good is an invisible king? Plus you're bringing the legions of Sauron after you.

When Sauron wore it, he was whoping ass, but whenever the hobbits wore it, they just turned invisible.

2. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well the ring has a supernatural attraction to it, it MAKES you want it. Kind of like the new Classics Universe toys.

3. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It does make you invisible, but that is just a sidebar. If you have ever watched the trilogy, you would understand that it is the most powerful of all the rings, and with it one can rule the world through it's power. If you remember at the very beginning, when Sauron had it in physical form he was very, very powerful. That's what it does.

4. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
  5. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    Your watching the trilogy on TNT too?

6. Predakwon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    How come the hobbits never became super powerful?

and, yes I'm watching it on TNT. :wink: 

7. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

The movies were fantastic. I'm not taking anything away from them here, but really do yourself a favor and pick up the books if you are into reading.

Personally, The Hobbit is my favorite Tolken book, and it is the back story for LOTR. But it isn't necessary reading.

The 3 LOTR books go into much greater detail about the ring itself, and many other various story elements. So yeah, if you have some time to just sit down and read a few times a week, give the books a try. If you liked the movies, you may just love the books more.

8. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    You might also want to read the books. It explains the lure of the ring in there, particularly when Sam bears it and manages to use his common sense to defeat its power.

Basically, the ring itself has a sort of intelligence being as its a part of Sauron, and it deceives its bearers into thinking they'll be great and powerful, when in truth it enslaves their minds.

Because they're not a people who value power and wealth. They value comfort, good food, and good friends.

--Moony

9. Hybrid Prime

Hybrid Prime Banned

Noone wore it long enough to figure out its power.If you read the book Sam actually used the ring to manafest fear and actually grew more menacing.The movie only covers the basic story it cuts out about 95% of the book.

10. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    And now the Trilogy is over on TNT. I think they give it this time every year. Damn song at the end of ROTK always makes me sentimental. Thank God The Hobbit is coming.

11. Nutcrusher

Nutcrusher Decepticon

News Credits:
    Extended Version FTW. I need to do a 12 hour LOTR session one day...

12. Seth Buzzard

News Credits:
    And if you want some way back story check out The Silmarillion.

13. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

Basicly, the Ring is looking to be found to be returned to sauron, because in essence it contains part of Sauron. Remember what gandalf says, "The Ring WANTS to be found." The only person who can wield the ring is Sauron, everyone else falls prey to his influence and are destroyed. Even Frodo at the end fell to it. Sam's common sence and his devotion to Frodo helped him resist the temptation of the ring. But in time....he would have turned to.

14. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    heh

weird!

i been re-watching the trilogy too [extended version FTW!]

15. Predakwon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks everyone. After reading the Wiki entry, I guess the movie left a lot out of the book.

Final question, how close is the movies to the book. Does it really leave 95% of the book out? I've heard they were pretty faithful except Liv Tyler part was extended and Gandalf used more magic in the book.

16. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    That and events are moved around(Shelob was in the Two Towers, not the Return of the King), and some events were cut out like Tom Bombadil and the Willowing tree and probably the most important, the scouraging of the shire(a ending chapter in which the forces of Modor invaded the shire and were kicked out by the Hobbits at the end of ROTK.

It's been a while since I've read the books(like 6 years) So I would say like 85% of the books are in the movie.

17. Seth Buzzard

News Credits:
    If anything I think Gandalf used more magic in the movie. The whole Saruman Vs. Gandalf breakdancing wizard fight isn't in the book. In the book it's more like Saruman tells Gandalf, "Guess what bro, you're my prisoner now." and Gandalf is like "Ok cool." because he smart and knows he can't win.

A couple other changes they made off the top of my head are the ghost army didn't follow Aragorn all the way back to the fight, only up to the boats. And at the battle of Helms Deep the elves didn't come rolling in to help.

18. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Funny, I watched it yesterdat and asked my wife the same thing. I have to re-watch this trilogy in order to fully understand.

19. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Well both movie adaptations change who finds Aragorn and the Hobbits on their way to Rivendell. The animated movie has Legolas finding them. The book is Glorfindel who finds them and springs the water trap.

The biggest changes are
    -Removing Tom Bombadill and the Barrow-wights (PJ said it would add something like 30 minutes at least to FOTR)
    -The sundering of the Shire being removed (PJ hated this part and would have never filmed it)
    -Changing the narrative flow of the two towers, the book follows one narrtive path (Aragorn Legs and Gimli) to it's conclusion and then the other (Frodo and Sam)
    -Adding an Elven force to the battle of Helms deep

Minor changes are
    -Moving Shelob and Cirth Ungol to ROTK
    -Having Elornd give the blade of Eledil to Aragorn during the mustering of the Roherrium
    -Arwen having more than 5 lines of dialouge :wink: 
    -Saruman's fate (he leads the evil men into the Shire and is killed there)
    -Aragorn and Elronds personalities
    -Aragorn's contact with the good Wildmen of Arnor
    -The Swan knights of Dol Amonroth and the other units from the mustered Gondorian army
    -The back story on Hobbits from FOTR is compressed a lot.
    -Elendil's appearnce (he's described as being 7 feet tall at least)

That's just what I know of and can remember though. :popcorn 

20. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

Tolkien fought in the trenches in WW1, and the ring kinda represents the idea of why do we go to war? That was the whole point of the book. He originally intended for the story to be one book. Witnessing what a machine gun can do for the first time must have been a shock. I think the ring represents a weapon that can truly be devastating in the right, or wrong hands.

The movies are great, but ALOT of the feel and ideas are not present in the movies. I barely made it through the Silmarillion. (sp?)

BTW...In the movie, Elrond is poorly done, as was Arwen.