Stupid, foolish USPS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jorod74, Dec 5, 2011.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, the USPS announced that they are eliminating Next Day mail service, and Priority Mail will take 3-5 days to get to your door.
    why?
    $5 Billion in debt/operating costs.

Other than the USPS thinking its close affiliation with the government meant it could cash blank checks, i don't see how they could operate like this.
    How hard could it be to look at FedEx or UPS, and see how they operate without a sugar daddy or a safety net?

you have a business model, and you price accordingly.

what makes me angry is the Postmaster General will go to Capitol Hill and say, "I don't know why we're so far behind..."

um, would it be you don't work within the framework of reality like the private sector?
    duh...

2. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

I heard that this morning as well and I thought welp its kind of stupid to begin with. I mean they STILL can't get packages to you in a timely matter anyway. If they could then I think people would use them more often and not have packages damaged either as bad.

3. Fuzz

Fuzz Garbage Pail Kid TFW2005 Supporter

The USPS knows exactly why it's falling behind. It's required by law to put billions into retirement funds each year due to a bill passed by congress. Another huge factor is the internet. People don't need to write letters to each other anymore. We have email and social networking. And more and more people pay their bills online now. The world is quickly moving to a paperless environment. I work in IT, and it's always our goal to eliminate paper as much as possible.

Retirement funding and technology are sinking the USPS right now.

4. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

I don't see how slowing down service will attract more customers.

5. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    Time for those USPS International rates to get another hike then.

6. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    So basically, we all switch to UPS then.

7. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    Is Next Day Mail just for letters, or packages, too? If it's just for letters, then it sounds like they're just being more honest about how long priority mail takes and cutting out a useless service.

8. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    Uh, they're not shedding any services, but rather simply removing the expectation that regular First Class mail be delivered the next day.

As Fuzz said, the real issue with the USPS is the requirement to pre-fund retirement benefits, something which the private sector doesn't do.

9. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fortunately, none of this will be implemented until Spring. Can't wait to see next year's Christmas holiday when this is in effect.

I used them for convenience, price and speed. (I usually had excellent track records with their packages.) Now, they want to close offices and end Saturday service, which kills the convenience. They want to raise prices for services that aren't getting better. And now no more 1-3 day mail delivery, even though we're paying extra for it.

This business model works how???

Anything within 200 miles or less could be shipped Priority and make it in one business day. That impressed me greatly, even UPS wasn't willing to do that. Now, it's going to take 3-5 days? What are they doing while it's waiting to arrive? Just sitting there in a facility that's running 24/7 and wasting money on their electricity bill? That doesn't even make sense. You could move the mail along, but you're just going to sit there and stare at it.

Yeah. Great. That's fantastic planning right there.

So...2-5 days for First Class, 3-5 days for Priority, that should make Parcel Post now be 10-15 days or more, again? (It was getting better. I was able to get Parcel Post in 4-7 days, most times as of late.) I want to see them screw with Express Mail. If I'm paying that kind of dough to ship or receive an item and it's now 2 days or more instead of 1...yeah, I'm gonna be pissed.

Looks like UPS is going to get a LOT more business from me.

One point I forgot to add, if the time frame of Priority is increasing and ends up being about the same as First Class, why would anyone ship Priority anymore? A rather sizable amount of TFs and other figures are small enough and are light enough to meet F.C. criteria, so why on Earth would we pay more for an option that takes the same amount of time but doesn't cost nearly as much in some cases? (There is quite a price difference between First Class and Priority, depending on the destination.)

Just incredibly stupid. There has to be a better way. If I didn't know any better, I'd say they were trying to get themselves shut down and lose all their jobs.

10. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    ^ They may be trying to lose their semi-monopoly status to force new legislation against their competitors.

11. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wasn't there something about the Post Master General saying he wanted to lay off an additional 200,000 employees?

12. gil

gil Godmaster

I don't think this will change things at all. It won't make the USPS better, though they'll continue to lose money, but it won't kill it any faster.

I mean, most people who needs a letter delivered next day will already pay for UPS, FedEX or Express Mail. It's the first class mail that's being discussed. Do you think guys complaining that their $0.44 will take 2-3 days now, will turn to $10+ UPS just for a letter that they don't need to get there the next day? Fuck, I don't know what your rates are, but Hawaii to the continental US, yup, I'm sticking to $0.44.

13. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, they're not just going to have stuff sit there and stare at it :rolleyes2 . One of the things that the USPS is going to be doing is closing a bunch of their processing facilities (as many as 252 out of 487 are being studied for closure), post offices and other locations, as well as laying off employees. Same/similar volume of mail + fewer processing facilities, distribution centers and employees to process things = slower mail.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  14. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Save 20 billion by 2015? yah rite

Fire everyone, and just keep the retirement plans.

15. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they just started changing a buttload of money for anything other than letters & not offer any form of tracking or insurance on many things unless you pay a 2nd buttlad. It seems to have worked pretty good north of the border, haha.

(no, I'm serious. It's how Canada Post has managed to make money instead of being in debt like everything else)

16. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree. The other day I heard back in 2000, only 10% of internet users paid their bills online. Today it is 60%.

But 11 to 12 years ago, the Government and the USPS should have realized this was going to happened. But they did nothing.

They said the USPS today is making most of its money for delivering junk mail. Last month I've heard the USPS wants to increase its business to deliver more junk mail.

17. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    I heard that too. I my self have no problem with junk mail. I keep the coupons I interested in and toss the rest in the recycle bin.

18. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    6,700 offices are planned to close, all but 2 per state will close for distribution centers and at least 100,000 jobs cut. (part of that news according to Kelsey Webb on WNCI's Morning Zoo/Dave & Jimmy, the rest from Yahoo! News/Associated Press)

Consolidating that much mail, that much work, will lead to a lot of angry customers and loss of revenue. This won't help at all.

Mail will move sloooow and they want to raise prices. PASS.