Stupid f***in school...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rattrap007, Jan 27, 2009.

1. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm going back to college to get a Bachelors degree in finance. Last night we got about 3 inches or so of snow/sleet/ice. Most of the city is shut down. All public and private schools are closed, local community colleges are closed, Garbage pick up is cancelled for the day, just lots and lots of closings. But do they cancel my university classes? Nope. Regular schedule. So I had to drive across town so I don't miss any classes. Whoever is in charge is an idiot for not cancelling classes on a day like today. Roads are pretty bad.

Well we are in store for 2 more days of bad weather like this so they better cancel classes on one of those days....

morons...

2. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

That's insane! Be careful, buddy. Good luck.

3. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Oh I'm already out here... I kinda expect to wait for each class only to find them cancelled, but that is unlikely...

4. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Administrator

News Credits:
    My guess is that a lot of four-year colleges don't close because a majority of students live on-site or just off campus. Even with several bad winters, my college in Illinois never closed for the four years I was there.

It makes sense. It just inconveniences the professors and the minority of students who live off-site. The professors make more than enough to make up for driving in, so it's really just the off-site students who are inconvenienced.

5. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Word. U of I was ALWAYS open.

Not like it mattered because I rarely went to class anyways.

I'm just saying...

6. Cascadia

Cascadia Ion Storm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I know the feeling.. I went to CU for 6.5 years and they closed for one day during those years due to a blizzard. I also went to OSU (Oregon) and they closed a few days for freezing rain and it was the 2nd time that they closed in their ~121 years of existence. All that I can tell you is to be careful when you go to your classes and wait and see if they are canceled. Then check every morning and check the university's website to see what the open/closed status is. 4-year universities rarely shut down due to bad snowy weather.

7. RavX

RavX Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    No offense but once you graduate the chances of your employer being closed for 2-3 inches of snow is slim to none. Its good practice :) 

8. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Administrator

News Credits:
    And that's saying a lot. The vast amount of space that college takes up is insane. Nothing like Bradley's campus of 3 blocks by 3 blocks :lol 

Bingo. During a snow storm (ended up with 10" totals) where we had a blizzard warning, called the work hotline for a status update before leaving home in the morning. The new message said that the site was open and employees should come to work, but cautioned employees that the roads around the site were VERY DANGEROUS. Yup. Work wants to put you in danger because you're no good unless you're able to do work and help the company make money. In the end, we're all replacable if we end up in danger.

9. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

This.

10. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Is this USI? U of E? or Ivy Tech?

USI cancelled classes after 3 pm. Don't know about the others.

11. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    QFT. It may just be where I live, but nothing around here closes for 3 inches of snow. Last year my college closed for two days, and for the school, that was actually a lot of days for one winter. It's a 2 year commuter college, although we have a 4 year college litterally right next to us.

12. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

For Hurricanes, colleges here will close. But for Tropical Storms, you can forget about it. Nothing like driving in pouring rain and then walking through it just to get to some class. Thats just college for ya.

13. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Skip class, duh. Better to miss a class then get in a wreck.

14. nkelsch

In a tight economy where people are being 'laid off'... The person who can't be relied upon to show up to work is at greater risk than the one who does.
    All I know is I am at work because I don't want anyone to say in those possible meetings "he doesn't show up to work reliably." People know when you are a 3-day weekender or late on rainy days...

If you are in good contact with your professors, you contact them first, days in advance when inclement weather is possible and either ask for the lesson in advance or if he minds you not coming. That shows the difference between blowing off class for a snow day and someone who takes his classes seriously.

15. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Who said anything about skipping work? This is college.

16. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was at The Ohio State University for its first canceled day in 50-some years. As soon as it was announced, there was great rejoicing in the dorms. Then, just to show you how cold it was, we automatically set out to have a huge snowball fight out on the Oval.

17. Vector Sigma

Vector Sigma <b><i><font color=FFFF00>Crazy Colon Burner!!!!</b Veteran

I probably wouldn't have bothered turning up.

But then I probably didn't turn up to about 35% of my degree...

18. nkelsch

Considering grades in college is often unfair and subjective, showing effort to your professor goes a long way. They know who skips class and who doesn't.

It isn't a good habit, college or not.

19. Vector Sigma

Vector Sigma <b><i><font color=FFFF00>Crazy Colon Burner!!!!</b Veteran

That rather depends how many people are in the class, and how much they care...

20. Mumps

Mumps <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

Last time the schools closes up here, there was 3 and a half feet of snow. I was a kid then, and that day was fun XD
    We all woke up, opened the door, only to find an imprint of the door in the snow. lol