Stupid Best Buy....

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by rattrap007, Oct 7, 2008.

1. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm a little irked at Best Buy right now and kinda need to vent a tiny bit.

I went to go to Best Buy to get the Season 11 of the Simpsons. It is advertised as $30. I'm a rewards member and have a $5 coupon so I went to go and get an extra $5 off. Well I grab the standard case because I think the Head ones are ass. I get in line and there is one cashier and it takes her 4-5 minutes with the person ahead of me. No real biggie. I don't mind waiting. She gets done and I move up. I hand the DVD to her and she scans it. I hand my rewards card to her. Then I notice the DVD set rang up as $40 something with the tax. No biggie. Last week when I bought Iron Mand and Season 3 of My Name is Earl they hadn't changed the prices yet. I make a note that it is advertised for $30. She gets out the ad and there is the Season 11 advertised for $30, but the picture is of the head set. She tries to say that the price is only for the head version because the cases are different. If it was a deluxe edition and a regular edition was shown I could understand. I mention there is ZERO difference between the sets. She again states that the cases are different. She calls a guy over. He glaces at them and just says the obvious "The cases are different." Again I state it is the EXACT same product and they put two different cases out becasue people didn't like teh head versions. He goes off to look. At this point I've been in check out for about 5 min and have places to go. I just say "Forget it." and walk off.

The product is exactly teh same thing. Why in the hell would one version of the EXACT same thing be $10 more? I can understand a price being different for a Special Edition dvd. Well they lost a sale today. Going to stop by Target or Walmart and get it for $30 later.

2. atlianz

atlianz TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah that's lame. Even the website says that the price is valid on both regular and special packaging.

3. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

While I agree that's lame, I feel you were way too impatient. I mean 5 mins to me doesn't really seem like a big deal. If it's something you really wanted then you would have stayed longer until it was straightened out.

4. rattrap007

News Credits:
    I just felt like I was talking in circles. Trying to explain it is the exact same damn thing had no impact. Again I said I had other places to go. I was wasting my time and there were other people in line and only one cashier. No sense holding them up with this crap. I can get it for the same price elsewhere. If they are too incompetent today to figure out that a slightly different picture doesn't mean it is something else then I'll go elsewhere. It is no biggie to stop by Target later as it is on my way home and not out of the way.

5. MegaOptimus

MegaOptimus Well-Known Member

oh yea... boo, best buy totally sucks. ...so, can I get your BB RZ gift cert.?

6. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Never trust a common cashier when it comes to shelf price vs scan price, and especially with advertised prices. Always go over their head and ask to speak with a manager.

You could also wait 3-4 months and get Simpsons S11 pre-owned for under $20. That's what I would do, but I'm also a cheap-ass. I rarely ever pay retail price for a DVD, and when I do it's only bargain-priced DVDs $5 or less.

7. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I like the head cases, but they do give problems in stacking them on a dvd tower.

8. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    My Best Buy doesn't give out BAGS anymore... what the fuck? It felt weird just walking out the door with two dvds and a receipt right in my hand.

And they even told the guy before me this, so they weren't out.

9. salmonman78

salmonman78 Mordin, my hero

Best Buy is ass, the dirty stinky kind. I remember trying to talk to their Geek Squad once was painful. They aren't fully trained, make you wait forever, then just to look at there is a fee.

in essence they suck

10. salmonman78

salmonman78 Mordin, my hero

Best Buy is ass, the dirty stinky kind. I remember trying to talk to their Geek Squad once was painful. They aren't fully trained, make you wait forever, then just to look at there is a fee.

in essence they suck

11. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Two years ago I went to Best Buy and I was buying a 13 inch Samsung TV. The price was $115 and when I to the checkout to pay for it, the cashier rang it up $148 and that is the price for the 16 inch Samsung. Well they corrected it with no problem.

12. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

I don't think I've ever made a purchase over $50 at Best Buy, usually only a couple dvds or a bluray.

13. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There has been times that I have been trying to find a movie on dvd and Best Buy would not have it. So I had to get it from Amazon.com.

14. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

I like to use FYE and Best Buy to see what's available and then go buy it somewhere cheaper.

15. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I do that as well.

I bought a Sony laptop there a little while back and the hard drive died in 10 days. I took it right back because you have 14 days and they still pitched a fit about exchanging it. In the end the gave us our money back because they didn't have anything comparable in stock and I just decided I would get a dell.

16. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

i had the same problem with Halloween (the newest remake)...there was the one with the cardboard outer case and one without...it was the same price and the sale was for the Unrated version only (which both was)...but the sale was only for the one without the outer case. got that fixed right there, no biggie.

Circuit City is another case...twice now, i bought a game that comes with a free $10 gift card and both cards, i had to tell them about it. There's a thing in their system about the deal but its not set up when they scan the merchandise....stupid, why even have it if it doesn't ring right...wasn't a big deal though was i eventually got it and wasn't in a rush.

17. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Similar thing happened with me at Hastings a month or two ago. They had the Stargate series (both SG-1 and Atlantis) box sets on sale, buy one-get one free. Season 4 for Atlantis had been recently released and I still needed Season 3. I figure, "cool, I can kill two birds with one stone" and grab them both. I look around the endcap where they had them displayed to see if there were any "fine print" deals going on with it, but I saw none.

I get up to the register and they both scan up for full price and the cashier tells me the total was like $85 or thereabouts. I tell him that they were supposed to be BOGO. He said, well it's not ringing up for that. I inform him that they have an entire endcap in the store with them on it, and it clearly states BOGO on it. He calls for assistance, and after a couple minutes the manager comes up and he explains what the problem is. He tells me that he doesn't think that's what the deal is. I explain again about the endcap with TEN SEASONS of SG-1 and every season to date of Atlantis on it, and it clearly states on it BUY ONE, GET ONE FREE. He goes back to the display, and from the register I can see him standing there studying it. He takes a good 2-3 minutes looking it over, picking up a couple box sets and looking at them (for what reason I don't know) and then comes back to the register. He then informs me "I'm sorry sir, but the last season of each series is not included in this sale, they are full price.". I ask him where he saw that on the display, and he informs me that "it's inferred common sense" or something of that nature and that they don't just give new releases away free like that. I said, and I quote, "Fine, you can take both of these box sets and shove them up your ass." and walk out. Haven't been back in there since, and really don't care to unless it's an absolute last resort and I can't find what I'm looking for elsewhere first.

Bottom line is, when it comes to retailers putting sales on like these, it seems they make rules up as they go. Things that seemingly have no bearing whatsoever on the price or the sale, like newness of box set or just the container its in, usually seems to be a hanging point for them.

18. GuitarHero09

GuitarHero09 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I have been working at Best Buy for 2 years now and have dealt with problems like this alot. Even though it is the "exact same thing" in your eyes, they have different SKUs, and therefore not the same. And "common cashiers" unfortunately don't know each week's ad like the back of their hand. So I'm sorry for your frustration with Best Buy, but be a little more patient.

19. rattrap007

News Credits:
    But later I went to Target and looked at the bar codes. EXACT same code. NO difference. Since the bar codes matched EXACTLY there should be no difference at the register. I even studied the two 'versions' of the box. Upon a closer look, the head is a little piece of cardboard with the head stuck to it and placed over the regular set!

I understand different SKUs but if it says "Season 11" then it should be all season 11s. If it says "Season 11 - Head Version" then yes it is that version.

I kinda know two of the employees there. We talk all the time when I see them. Neither was there last time. Maybe I'll do a little browsing tomorrow and tell them what happened.

20. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Sounds like you went to Worst Buy