Minor/Repaint: Stunticons!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Alteron_Sheng, Nov 23, 2010.

?

What toy should I use for Dead End?

1. Modified Classics Prowl

13 vote(s)
    14.4%
  2. Modified United/Generations Jazz

51 vote(s)
    56.7%
  3. Classics/Henkei Hot Shot

26 vote(s)
    28.9%
  1. Alteron_Sheng

Alteron_Sheng 'Tis an Kitbasher & Elder TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Update: 8/25/11
    Sorry about the long gap between updates... My time was eaten up by first being in a different state for interning, then school work, then botcon, then finishing the basement (bathtubs are HEAVY) and this is the first chance I've had to take some pics of what I've gotten done.
    So, my Breakdown had a close encounter of the worst kind with pets while I was finishing the basement and his legs and hood were damaged. The hood (and his bonnet-balljoint) were thankfully salvageable with FixIt sculpt and a LOT of sanding. I ended up finding someone who had a cheap, chestless, Red Alert and used him to repair the rest of the body. Then I repainted Breakdown (and forgot the change his license plate I just realized). Despite the hood having some striations that I could not fully sand away... I think I did a better job on his paint this time, it looks much smoother and the lines are better defined. I also added some silver highlights to his guns to break up the blue and black.
    Also: DEADEND!!! As the poll suggested I used a modified Jazz for Deadend. While I know that his bio states that Deadend is even more obsessed about his appearance than Knockout or Sunstreaker... I had Deadend all shiny and sleek and it... just didn't look right, it didn't catch his primary personality trait which was all DoomGloomAndSwoon (quoting a friend... and long story). So I went back and added a few chips and dry brushed some wear onto him and then it looked just right. I've decided to just have one picture of each of the (robot mode) stuntis and a face close up here on the first post... I'll add posts at the end with all their pictures.
    ===========================================
    Update: 12/1/10
    Added the balljointed windshield for Breakdown and took pictures of the new battle-mode. The Alt-mode remains visually identical to the earlier pics so I didn't take any new pictures of that.
    Also pictured are Breakdown's guns which are simply 2 deluxe class Ratchet's rifles with the grips carefully cut down to allow them to fit snugly into the fists of Breakdown. I plan to modify them with the little 'clips-and-poles' that so many of the new toys (like Breacher and the new Voy Ironhide) have. the clips will be on the guns, the pole will be added to the back of the spoiler so that the guns can clip onto BD's spoiler to look like the g1 toys 'attack' mode.
    I just need to get a toy or two with said clip-and-pole items^^
    ===========================================
    Only Breakdown right now and he's not 100% complete, but I am REALLY proud of how he came out!! ^^
    Having Breakdown be white seems to be the most common version of him out there, but I find myself actually liking the cream color of the cartoon the best, so I mixed myself up a batch of a nice cream color and painted him so that his car-mode parts would be cream.
    He then had a lot of part swapping with Sideswipe, although I left some red joints to draw the red color down the toy visually. With the blue detailing in car mode, I originally had it along the bottom edge and wheel wells, but I decided to add more blue to the sides so he'd have more blue on his legs in robot mode.
    For reasons known only to my hind brain, I decided that all the Stunties would have a pearl coat instead of clear-coat. It actually looks REALLY cool in person, though I'm not sure how it photographed.
    While I was chatting with Pun-3X while working on this toy, I had the really cool idea to use a ball joint or a swivel joint to keep his windshield attached instead of parts forming and have it end up on his robot-mode back. I experimented with my Sunstreaker (without chopping the toy up) while I was waiting for BD's paint to dry and it SHOULD work... unfortunately the drill bit for my dremel snapped so I need to go out and buy a new one before finishing up that last step
    Wish me luck that it works!!
    =============================
    I plan to post all the Stunticons to this thread as I make them, as well as putting Menasor up here when I get him to work.

Wildrider-classics Rodimus

Dragstrip-classics Dragstrip with parts from the BM mirage GT recolor

Motormaster-was originally going to be a Nemesis classics optimus but I found the mold too short, so I did a search for 'Motormaster' here on TFW2005 and found this really cool idea to use an Inferno for it! Not sure who came up with it first though

Dead End-not sure what to use here, the Prowl alt-mode is perfect but I can't figure out how to TF him so that he has a flat chest instead of the hood-chest. I'm thinking maybe see if I can modify a Jazz when I finally get one, or maybe use a classics/henkei Hot Shot.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  2. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Nice Breakdown. Getting a ball-joint in there for the roof/windshield will work, I know.

I'm in the same conundrum when it comes to Dead End. I originally had Henkei Hot Rod (Hot Shot) lined up to be Dead End, but I just hate that figure. Can't stand it. So I've been waiting on a Generations Jazz, and now seeing reviews on it- particularly Encline's, I don't know if I can do what I wanted to do with it.

3. Alteron_Sheng

News Credits:
    Oh you used the ball-joint as well? I'll have to look at yours to see how you did it, perhaps I will save myself some grief^^ I'm sure it looks great^^

Well, then we'll both see what reviews come^^. I'd REALLY like to use L_K's customization for Dead End, but I can't figure out how the toy was modified to TF as it does :S

4. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Definitely good so far. Waiting to see the ball jointed roof when it's done :) 

5. hater06

hater06 Well-Known Member

try drift for deadend... if i remember correctly, his back is flat...

6. Alteron_Sheng

News Credits:
    Hrm *nabs a Drift she's trying to mod into a Trans-Am*
    While the car mode roughly works and I do like his robot-mode, I don't like the robot-mode for Dead End, the huge shoulders and legs just don't work for the character (for me at least)
    Thank you very much for the suggestion though!! ^^

7. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    hotshot for me is perfect for deadend

8. Alteron_Sheng

News Credits:
    Update!
    Added the ball-jointed windshield for Breakdown and took pictures of the new battle-mode. The Alt-mode remains visually identical to the earlier pics so I didn't take any new pictures of that.
    Also pictured are Breakdown's guns which are simply 2 deluxe class Ratchet's rifles with the grips carefully cut down to allow them to fit snugly into the fists of Breakdown. I plan to modify them with the little 'clips-and-poles' that so many of the new toys (like Breacher and the new Voy Ironhide) have. the clips will be on the guns, the pole will be added to the back of the spoiler so that the guns can clip onto BD's spoiler to look like the g1 toys 'attack' mode.
    I just need to get a toy or two with said clip-and-pole items^^
    -------------------------------
    Also added a new pair of close-ups of his head to show how I sharpened his chin and the shape of his helmet, both of which are based off his cartoon model
    His head is a heavily modifed Sideswipe head and his light-piping still works^^

Attached Files:

9. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    Just AWESOME! Can we get a cleaer look at the ball-joint mod to the roof? I know a few uys have done it, and I can pretty much imagine how it muct work, but I'd like to see a cleanly executed one...

D/L

10. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Nice job on the mod.

11. Bruticus82

Bruticus82 Well-Known Member

Very nice job!

12. Alteron_Sheng

News Credits:
    IAmAnArmIAmAnArmIAmAnArm...

So I've now got the molds and modifications either done or planned out so I spent some time working on the Stunticons to sort out their four modes (Arm, Leg, Car, Bot). I Also took some pictures/close ups of Breakdown's ball joint for his windshield mod as was requested^^
    Oh, also, 12 hour drive but I'm now back from South Florida! ^^
    ------
    Arm modes for the quad! One thing I found is that all four did 'arms' better than they did 'legs' ^^;;

Attached Files:

13. Alteron_Sheng

News Credits:
    IAmAnLegIAmAnLegIAmAnLeg...

Leg modes for the quad! Sadly this is where Breakdown's otherwise cool windshield mod backfires, as it has to stick out like a clown shoe rather then forming the shin of the leg mode.

Attached Files:

14. Alteron_Sheng

News Credits:
    Dragstrip and Wildrider

Dragstrip I have a plan to make guns that clip onto his 'backpack' that also have his second set of front wheels, however that I'm still on the planning stages for - however otherwise the boy in yellow is done.

Wildrider on the other hand is totally done save dye and paint. The fun part with him is that if you remove the spoiler then widen the slots that the spoiler usually 'sits' in, the toy can stow two of Hot Rod's 'flame guns' letting Wildrider double-carry. They also store nicely on his back in robot mode.
    ----------------
    I've also got my first 'group shot' of the four smaller Stunticons in robot and car modes (I sorta lost my TF-sheet for Jazz and couldn't remember quiiiiiiiite how to TF him, hence he's a bit loose in car mode in the group shot.

Attached Files:

15. Alteron_Sheng

News Credits:
    Breakdown's Windshield Mod

Some close ups of the ball joint, the socket joint and their positions/hieghts
    These are the best images I could take, I hope they help anyone who wants to try this mod themselves^^

Oh, I also experimented and found a way to make Wildrider/Hot Rod's canopy open! Granted after I'd done said mod I found out that there were tutorials and everything for it, but I came up with it on my own and am ridiculously proud of the fact that the canopy can now open!! ...Of course I forgot to take PICTURES of that part... =_=;;

Attached Files:

16. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

Really like the color scheme on this, great work! Looking forward to all the others.

17. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice man, they are coming along. Which reminds me, I need to finish mine.

18. Alteron_Sheng

News Credits:
    Breakdown Update

Still haven't QUITE figured out how I'll be getting his guns to attach to his altmode...I'll come up with something, I'm sure...
    Breakdown's new paint apps came out SO much better this time (excluding the striations I couldn't fully sand out of his hood:S )

Attached Files:

19. Alteron_Sheng

News Credits:
    Deadend update!

Deadend was made (obviously^^) from a Gen Jazz. As with Breakdown I went with his cartoon face and helm instead of his toy version as... well I find the toy heads REALLY dull and boring and much too similar.
    Deadend was initially MUCH sleeker and prettier, but I found that his paint all spit and shine didn't look RIGHT to me, given his personality... so I added some chipping and wear and then it looked just right to me^^
    Deadend had his spoiler removed to fit his animation model better, as well as to help alter his silhouette from Jazz (whale tail boy) and Ricochet (who will keep his minispoiler... yes I know his name should be Stepper but I like Ricochet better! ^^)
    Removing the spoiler also let me have the legs slide a bit further back, which changes the lower leg look a tiny bit (mostly around the feet)

I've decided that all my stuntis will have purple optics, and have been using a translucent purple on them to keep the lightpiping intact^^
    As with Breakdown i haven't figured out how to have his weapons attach in alt-mode, and I'm not even completely certain I'll be using the silverbolt guns... They work but I'm not happy with them yet and am hunting through the remains of my collection to see if I can find a set that I like better.

Attached Files:

20. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Very nice on both of them! And the pics are nice and clear :)