Study: Diet soda linked to heart risks

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OmegaScourge, Jul 24, 2007.

1. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

They got it right...SODA. :tongue: 

and does Sprite/Coke Zero count...

either way, i'm sticking with the diet drinks over the regular drinks.

2. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'll be sticking with beer.

3. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    This study reaches absolutely no conclusions, and the only reason it's reported as news is to scare people who only skim headlines.

4. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I think what they fail to see (and report) is the difference between correlation and causation.

That is, one doesn't necessary cause the other, it is only related.

For example, people who drink soda in general may be still eating other bad for you food, like McDonalds and Burger King. This would increase the likely hood of weight gain and/or cholesterol in a person’s daily life regardless of the type of soda that they drink.

As the article says, diet soda is water and a little bit of flavor…the extra calories must be coming from somewhere else. They should have done a study that included the eating habits of the tested subjects. The study is worthless and likely just for news fodder.

5. King Starscream

King Starscream <b><font color=blue>The Royal Seeker</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    *contemplates this as he drinks his Diet Coke with his sweet, succulent, fried chicken*

6. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Agreed, Team Jetfire

I think there are a lot of people, such as myself, that drink diet cokes because I like the way it tastes. Now before I get attacked for liking the taste, here is my reason. My parents never bought us cokes as kids, the only time we got them was at my grandparents house. My grandfather was diabetic, so all he had was diet cokes and I got an aquired tast for the diet flavor.

7. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Something I missed the first time I read it--it says that diet soda drinkers developed metabolic syndrome, which leads to weight gain, not that diet soda directly caused any sort of weight gain.

That makes me wonder if the caffiene in the soda, diet or regular, is what puts people at risk for developing metabolic syndrome.

Still, the reporting is pretty weak--I'll give the study the benefit of the doubt and assume that the science behind their work is solid and simply not being reported correctly or in detail by the AP writer. Even so, a study as large as this has so many confounding variables it seems like it'd be difficult to draw such specific conclusions.