Studio Series #35 Jetfire (& Jetpower Optimus Prime)

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Actar, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Actar

Actar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Alrighty! Time to consolidate all my opinions on this figure now that I've owned him for a number of days~

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, I was rather hesitant and critical about Jetfire when I first saw him, but after having him in hand for a day, I'm absolutely convinced. Jetfire is everything I wanted in the original Leader (albeit in a smaller package). Overall, he's much easier to transform than the previous Leader and everything but those two central panels that tab into the shoulders and engines hold together solidly. I'd even argue that the kibble is much better on this one.

20190105_233850.jpg

[​IMG]

20190105_235246.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While the fit and finish are subpar as per other figures in the Studio Series line, the bot mode is excellent. The transformation is really fun, smooth and impressive. I love how the jet mode folds in on itself multiple times to create the bulk of the body and I adore the fact that the thighs are actually formed from the jet mode engines unlike the previous Leader (they even sit accurately within the nacelle!). I'm still not that big of a fan of the faux cockpit head, but after knowing that Jetfire accurately parts-forms to combine with Optimus, it softens the blow somewhat.

[​IMG]

Speaking of which, yes! Jetfire does indeed combine with SS Voyager Prime!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and it's amazing. Thank heavens they decided to go with parts-forming. Not only is it accurate to the movie, the combination gimmick does not take away from either figure much at all. The locks that secure Jetfire's limbs together when he's his own figure are brilliant. It's a clip system that holds all the parts together in bot/jet mode solidly but is still easy enough to disconnect for parts-forming when needed. In Jet Power Prime mode, everything is just as solid, though I'm slightly worried that Prime's leg joints (hip and knees) will not hold up over time as they aren't ratcheted. As for now, they're rock solid and almost too tight for when posing him alone. While the articulation in combined mode is mostly unhindered, it kinda sucks that the ankle tilts are opposite as Jetfire's legs are reversed for the combination.

Note that the instructions are utter garbage. Not only does it not tell you how to transform the cannon at all, but you can tweak the figure a little to get it looking much, much better. For instance, the bar behind Prime's head can be angled back. This not only tidies up the silhouette, but it also holds the rear wings/fins in place. Speaking of those fins, as can be seen from the above pictures, they can also be splayed open for a far more dynamic and movie-accurate look. It's a pretty nice touch that Prime's back kibble form secondary fins.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the cannon, there is indeed a proper way to transform it. Upon close examination, the arms and flaps both have places to peg into.

All in all, thus far, Jetfire is my undisputed favorite Studio Series figure. So poseable, so much more accurate than the previous Leader figure and so full of character! All that on top of a much-improved combining gimmick! Now I only wished that they had put more effort into the Voyager Prime. I still don't get the necessity for the inaccurate leg transformation and the faux chest. In addition to being inaccurate, in my opinion, it's needlessly complex and fiddly for a Movie Prime and is as light as a feather. If you ask me, I'd only buy Prime solely to maximize Jetfire's playability. That's how great Jetfire is.

• Like Like x 41
  2. orionpax636

orionpax636 What the...?

News Credits:
    Thank you @Actar for the comprehensive, beautifully illustrated review! Damn you for reviewing it so well that I’m now considering picking up something I wanted to ignore.:banghead: 

On its own, this looks like a condensed, more playable version that should be good for fans of the character.

For me it doesn’t quite have the shock value that combining the two old ROTF leaders had (that were harder to pose combined), nor does it fully capture the insane bulk Jetpower has in the movie (dunno that it’s possible to). Still, what it IS looks like it allows for enjoying the two characters and combining them in a more functional, poseable way.

• Like Like x 6
  3. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    now THIS, is the arch-typical, picture perfect review that I love so much on these forums. You hit all points that I wonder about, bring up small details we had no idea about...and most importantly..you waited a bit to learn the figure making an even more impressive production.

great figure..im sold..keep those great reviews coming.

Dave

• Like Like x 12
  4. BlackHawkOmega

BlackHawkOmega Just trying my best.

News Credits:
    I'm quite excited for it. Part of me wishes it did have a bit more bulk on Prime's legs, but it's not that big a deal. I'm sure it won't bug as much in person.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think both figures look pretty damn good, even though I've never been a fan of Jetfire's aesthetic. The combined mode doesn't have the bulk to really represent how he looked in ROTF, but I would take a solid combined mode that has articulation over a bulky, non articulated one. Thanks for the pics!

• Like Like x 2
  6. opoptimus

opoptimus SUN WUKONG, not Son Goku.

News Credits:
    Great review!
    I’ve said it many times but you can just tell by the quality Hasbro’s instructions that they didn’t design the toy. Whoever made these instructions really has no f$&king idea. The designers at TT worked so hard to engineer these toys then your average western consumers won’t be able to fully appreciate the design just because Hasbro couldn’t even get the instructions right.

Seriously Hasbro, TT’s done the hard work for you. Show some f&$king respect.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Chainlink

Chainlink No real than you are

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Okay, so let me confirm: The combined form uses all of Jetfire's parts, correct? I mean, it looks that way, but knowing for sure would be most appreciated.

God, he looks good. I was going to get him anyway, but the pics really put a good light on him. That shot of him next to Grimlock really shows how massive he is. Definitely not as tall, but has a lot of volume. Honestly, the only thing I don't care for are the hands. They just look super stiff.

Can't wait to get this guy, and Prime for that matter. I've been wanting a good Jetpower Prime for so long...

8. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I still have absolutely no desire to own this figure, but your review actually made me like the bot mode a bit more. Nicely done!

Question- how big is it if the legs are completely straightened? May look weird but he's probably huge.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Actar

Actar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for all the positive feedback guys! This is the best I can do in lieu of a video review. (^.^')

20190104_160703.jpg

Yup! Pretty impressive to be honest.

Jetfire's head/upper torso > Cannon
    Jetfire's SR-71 head > Shoulder pads
    Jetfire's waist/thighs > Backpack
    Jetfire's legs > Boots
    Jetfire's cane > Arm gun

• Like Like x 14
  10. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

So, basically Jetfire is a leader class Weaponizer.

I like it!

• Like Like x 13
  11. kaiserlisk

kaiserlisk Squid Kid

News Credits:
    I don't usually care much for this feature, but a hinged jaw would've been perfect for this guy. As is though, he's come a long way from RotF.

• Like Like x 1
  12. rego0012

rego0012 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Big fan of the Jetfire itself, not so much the practice of slightly retooling a figure in the same line to accommodate a gimmick just to make a few more bucks off people who want the play feature.

13. Chainlink

Chainlink No real than you are

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Holy cow! You didn't need to provide a picture, but it's most appreciated. Thanks! Pretty cool to see the breakdown.

• Like Like x 1
  14. joncbenn

joncbenn Groovy

Can he combine with the 1st SS Prime?

15. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No. The new Prime has a bunch of new tabs and slots for Jetfire to plug into.

• Like Like x 1
  16. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

News Credits:
    I wish the newer SS Prime would have been the standard one released in the first place. It does fix a bunch of problems with the older SS mold though, I at least give it credit for that.

17. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    @Actar do the connection/detachment points for putting Jetfire back together(after turning him into armor) feel like they'll wear out over time?

18. BlackHawkOmega

BlackHawkOmega Just trying my best.

News Credits:
    How dare this corporation try to

make money

• Like Like x 4
  19. Mr.Deflok

Mr.Deflok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm slightly confused. I swear I saw a pic of this in bot-mode and its size was comparable to the ROTF leader, yet the pics above denote it isn't quite that large. Maybe I am thinking AOE Grimlock is smaller than it actually is, which is odd since it is on my bookdesk and has been for months now.

20. Actar

Actar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    20190108_175500.jpg

He does indeed look weird! (^.^')

20190108_174125.jpg 20190108_174054.jpg

Not at all! In fact, it's a rather ingenious rail and clip system that reminds me of train couplers. When they're locked together, it doesn't even feel like they can come apart during normal posing and play.

20190108_174606.jpg 20190108_174754.jpg

Might not be bigger than the old Leader, but certainly cleaner and more accurate!

• Like Like x 16