Studio Halfeye products

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by sixshotninja, Dec 17, 2010.

1. sixshotninja

sixshotninja Breastmaster!

I am just wondering what does everybody else thinks of their products?

I previously owned a simple change mightgaine, god gravion and gaofighgar.

The quality of the resin was superb and the general mechanics for transformation was really well thought out, but the downsides were obviously the price, how some parts were or would get rather loose, their fragility and lack of detail on some figures.

Anyone else own studio half eye figures? Would you care to share your thoughts/ pics of them?

Here's one that I would love to own but will never be able to afford:

STUDIO HALFEYE DANCOUGA NOVA PERFECT CHANGE LIMITED EDN on eBay (end time 15-Jan-11 16:29:26 GMT)

2. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Whoa. Price...

3. sixshotninja

The irony is I once saw the S.H.E. dancouga nova in Hong Kong a few years back, the shop keeper said I could have it for $10,000 HK dollars. I laughed at him and walked of the store but thinking back now I had my credit card with me and should have took it!

4. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    Well I am crossing my fingers on their Escaflowne, which is a collaboration with Bandai, hope the price ain't that throat cutting.

5. sixshotninja

Yeah I hear that's going to be good.
    I chickened out and cancelled a pre-order for a Perfect Shift Maneuver-Blade a few years ago.

Perfect Shift Maneuver-Blade Version Saiki

In my opinion the most detailed and complicated SHE product to date, now you can't find one for love nor money, and that goes for almost all of their stuff. e.g. perfect change Godannar and Dangaioh.

6. ZeroEdge

ZeroEdge Geass'd

News Credits:
    Exactly this.

I mean...does SHE think the average toy collector is made out of money or something?

There's no way, no way that one of their products can be worth that much...

7. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Their products are not toys. Their products are hand-assembled and painted resin kits, made in extremely small production runs. While I agree that the price is brain-smashingly insane at times, it's not all that out of line with the typical cost of built resin kits (which are phenominally expensive to MAKE, as well, since you cannot mass produce molds like you can with plastic kits and the materials cost is very high as well), and considering the sheer number of moving parts and individual molds, it's pretty astounding that SHE made a go at offering these to the "mass market" (as much of a mass market there can be for stuff like this) at all.

... of course, they've pretty much closed up shop now, so that's a pretty good indication of how expensive, niche market stuff fares when the economy goes south. sad.

I've owned four total S.H.E. items, two unbuilt models, and two finished figures. The engineering is almost always astounding, even if the finish is rough and the aesthetics are often heavily compromised. They're engineer's playthings, for sure, and the kind of thing that you can never convince someone is worth getting if they aren't already interested :lol .

8. Fr33domgundam

Fr33domgundam Well-Known Member

Big Godannar fanboy here, and the Perfect Change Godannar would be the only SHE figure that I'd want.

I'm still kicking myself badly for passing on that MIB SHE Perfect Change Godannar that I saw in Mandarake in Akihabara last year when I was there. I didn't have the luggage space... and it was only like... 20000yen.

On a side note, I might've been delusional: did SHE ever make a Perfect Change Super Robot Taisen SRX, or am I confusing it with the Volks SRX Variable Box?

9. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Oh, and it should be noted that the Ebay prices for S.H.E. products really shouldn't be taken seriously. Their prices are usually inflated to 200-500% the original cost and they NEVER sell.

S.H.E. never made an SRX - the only transforming S.R.X. was the Volks variable box.

10. UMC

UMC Huh?

News Credits:
    this is my first and last~ i bought it on HLJ few years ago
    i gotta say it really nice but it really scary to play with it...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. ZeroEdge

ZeroEdge Geass'd

News Credits:
    I really, REALLY wanted to get some of their Might Gaine stuff but again...the price was a major put off.

12. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Quinjester covered the price thing better than I could.

SHE is a classic garage company. They do almost everything in-house, and the costs reflect that. :( 

13. Jarrod

Jarrod Semi-retired Builder

I've got Might Gaine, Might Kaiser, and Might Gunner, and was lucky enough to pick them up for about 15% off Japanese retail and when the Yen conversion was really good.

They're some of my favorite things I own. They're tiny, but the engineering and proportions are fantastic. Great Might Gaine is really impressive, and is deceptively larger than the individual figure.

Of course, like all SHE's stuff, its a good idea to keep a small screwdriver with you while transforming to re-tighten all the joints you've just moved. Also, ALL the white resin on my figures has yellowed significantly...I keep meaning to repaint it, just haven't got around to it yet.

14. Roanstalker

News Credits:
    They look good alright but have annoying extra parts :( .

15. sixshotninja

I for one really miss my SHE mightgaine, I could never afford mightkaiser and mightgunner to complete him though and in the end decided to sell it. I agree with Jarrod the proportions were superb and although articulation was limited it was a brilliant display piece. If a complete set went on ebay for a reasonable price I would probably get it! Part of the appeal for me was the fact that it was so "tiny". It was great to know I owned a fully transforming, highly detailed show accurate mecha/ super robot that was assembled by hand by a master engineer and his team in Japan.

16. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    wow that bike one is badass but not $600 badass

17. sixshotninja

Considering it's the only one of its kind made with perfect transformation and hand assembled. It may just be!!!

18. Jarrod

Jarrod Semi-retired Builder

They're really not that bad at all! For Might Gaine you have to remove 1/2 the outer train shell for the arms and add fists; on Might Kaiser you add the head and chest crest; and for Might Gunner you remove the front cowcatcher (which is true to the Takara DX as well, only this ones doesnt become a shield or whatever) and add fists.

The whole set's really no worse than any of CM's GGG's as far as I'm concerned.

19. Roanstalker

News Credits:
    I also dont like how the vehicle modes play second to the robot modes. Locomoriser takes a heavy hit in terms of show accuracy. And of course Might Kaiser looses the Kaiser Carrier.

20. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I have the completed perfect change GunBuster. I have to echo the sentiment that these are not toys, they are just small engineering marvels, designs that were never meant to change with the assistance on Anime Magic, yet are able to do so. If there is a design that SHE makes that you are a fan of, get it. Otherwise, the cost might not be worth it to you. For me, it was.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]