Studio Ghibli films

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Black Oracle, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    Just watched "Arrietty" which has just been released on DVD here in the U.K.. Enjoyed Ghibli's gorgeous animation and magical story as always.

Anyone else here into Miyazaki films? If so, what's your favourite? "Castle in the Sky" and "Spirited Away" are my faves thus far.

2. Rewind

Rewind Space Hipster

News Credits:
    Very much looking forward to Arrietty. I typically like Miyazaki's films a little more than non-Miyazaki Ghibli films, but non-Miyazaki films like Arrietty are still usually excellent.

Not sure how I feel about Miyazaki's next film, a sequel to Porco Rosso. I like Porco Rosso, but I would have preferred he did a new story rather than a revisit.

Ironic this thread should pop up, I just exposed my daughter to her first Miyazaki film (Ponyo) this morning. She's only 2 months old, but it held her attention for a while. :D 

3. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I'm a fan of some. My Neighbour Totoro is pretty cool. He's my long time sig and avatar on another messageboard. And Pom Poko has something for everybody, including Tanuki testicles. Howl's Moving Castle and Spirited Away often find their way into my DVD player. The Cat Returns is a regular favourite of my young niece. Ponyo was aired here on telly over Christmas, which I taped, and I'm greatly looking forwards to getting around to watching it.
    A lot of the other stuff I'm fairly meh on. Film Four here shows quite a few of the Ghibli films over and over so I've not had to buy them, but several I'm not too fussed about watching a second time. Some just seem rather flat, both in story and art. I was greatly bored by Princess Mononoke. I sat to watch that expecting something brilliant considering how people tend to rave about it

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    When an Anime fan was at the festival, he arrived at the booth of Ghibli studios.

"Give me the best film you have," said the Anime Fan.

"Everything from this studio is the best", replied Miyazaki. "You cannot find here any film which is not the best."

At these words the Anime fan became enlightened.

5. CharmedSerenity

CharmedSerenity Long Live the Legion

Got Arrietty on DVD myself, but haven't watched it yet.

So far my favourites are Grave of the Fireflies, My Neighbor Totoro and Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind.

6. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Favourites are Spirited Away & Howl's Moving Castle, but I need to check out some more. Any recommendations beyond those two?

7. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I absolutely adore My Neighbor Totoro (still hoping Mei and the Kittenbus will be released as a DVD special feature someday), and Spirited Away colored me spellbound. Laputa is beautiful but leaves me oddly depressed, as does Pom Poko, while Porco Rosso and Howl's Moving Castle, although fun, seems to lack something I can't quite put my finger on. Grave of the Fireflies bored me - no joke. And Kiki's Delivery Service, while cute, isn't fantastical enough for my taste.

8. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    HMC took some getting in to - first time I watched it, I turned it off after 10 minutes as I just couldn't get into it. Sometime later I found the time to watch it and found I really enjoyed it once I got over that initial 'hump'.

9. Rewind

Rewind Space Hipster

News Credits:
    Every single one of them. Seriously.

Just print out the list here and watch every one you can find (And include Nausicaa, even though it isn't "technically" a Ghibli film):
    Studio Ghibli - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You may like some better than others, but with Ghibli films you probably get better odds than any other animation studio.

Also check out the Lupin III movie The Castle of Cagliostro. While not a Ghibli film proper, Miyazaki directed it and it's pretty fantastic. I think Steven Spielberg even lists it as one of his personal favorites.

10. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

Spirited Away and Porco Rosso are tied for my personal favorite, with Totoro just behind them.

:eek:  I'm getting a sequel to Porco Rosso?!?! Oh, happy day!

11. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I've never seen any of films yet. I herd their good. If were to get around to watching any? Which is the best one to start off with?

12. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Castle of Cagliostro & Kiki's Delivery Service are the only ones I'd consider watching again. Not a fan of Miyazaki. Spirited Away seemed like they dropped acid while writing it and Princess Monemody got just strange at the end. I may see Arrietty since it looks like a movie of 'The Littles'.

13. jala12

jala12 Fiery Adventurer

Lol, am I the only one here so far who has seen From up on Poppy Hill? It's actually a pretty nice movie done by Goro Miyazaki. It's surprising too, considering how much Tales From Earthsea sucked.

14. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    I know "Castle in the Sky" as "Laputa" too from my childhood. It's the Ghibli film I have the earliest memories of. I watched it originally in Cantonese language when I was younger. That's probably the reason I remeber it so fondly, because it carries nostalgic value for me.

I more or less share your opinion of some of the other titles too. "Spirited Away" was the most imaginative thing I've ever seen. "Howl's Moving Castle", whilst pretty to look at, just seemed like a straight-up Miyazaki-style way of telling Diana Wynne Jones' story. And "Kiki's Delivery Service" had no great appeal for me, though it was cute as you say. "Grave of the Fireflies" seemed to drag on and left me tired out and very unhappy.

"Arrietty" is based on Mary Norton's "The Borrowers" books.

15. Rewind

Rewind Space Hipster

News Credits:
    As an adaptation of the Earthsea novels it sucked, but I thought it was great just taken as it's own thing.

16. jala12

jala12 Fiery Adventurer

I personally thought it was pretty confusing. So the girl was a dragon all along? Whaa...?

I also noticed that it was subtley lower in animation/design quality than other Ghibli movies. Character expressions seemed pretty souless at times and some of the backgrounds seemed generic like Cobb's castle.

17. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    fun fact, this weekend in dallas they are having a two day film festival airing like 75% of the studio ghibli films from brand new 35mm prints hehehe gonna be AWESOME, even gonna air Arrietty!

finally get to see spirited away in theaters, gonna be awesome

18. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

kiki's delivery service was what got me interested in these movies, and anime movies in general. so it's naturally my favorite. i saw it one night on tv, disney channel, and loved it so much, that i had to buy it. and this was 1998, so it was on vhs.

i loved it so much, that it'd always piss me off seeing the "coming soon" for laputa, that seemed to never come.

it wasn't until 2003, that it actually came out. which is when i bought it on dvd. along with kiki's delivery service, and spirited away. which came free with Princess Mononoke.

loved Laputa, it quickly became one of my favorite ghibli movies.

spirited away is pretty good too. and so is Princess Mononoko, BUT i think princess mononoke wasn't nearly as good as everyone at the time was saying it was. and nor was spirited away.

and since then i have seen;

whisper of the heart, which is now my favorite ghibli film, wow is this one wonderful, and very cute too!

the cat returns, which is a pretty good one. but NOT as good as whisper of the heart.

Howl's Moving Castle, is pretty neat. but i don't think i need to buy it.

Grave of the Fireflies; this is an excellent movie. though it's very depressing.

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind; this one is awesome, very action packed too. love it.

Tales from Earthsea; was ok, at best.

Ponyo is adorable!

and My Neighbor Totoro is gorgeous, adorable, and wonderful to watch. LOVE the new dub.

so i would put them;

whisper of the heart
    kiki's delivery service
    laputa
    Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
    My Neighbor Totoro
    Ponyo
    Spirited Away
    The Cat Returns
    Howl's Moving Castle
    Grave of the Fireflies *this one is only on the bottom, because of how depressing it is, it is a wonderful movie, but i don't think i could sit through it twice*
    Princess Mononoke
    Tales from Earthsea

tale of earthsea is just a very BORING movie.

19. sunstreakerx5

sunstreakerx5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    one my personal favs that keep coming on film 4 in the uk is: Kiki's Delivery Service, Princess Mononoke, the cat returns. Even Ponyo got aired a few months ago! castle of cagliostro was cool although some lupin fans might not like cause it doesnt follow his "normal routine" or something like that :D  but its a good film in its own right. the UK sub streamline dvd was good. although the dub was not great.
    The other film that blew my mind was The Little Norse Prince. I really enjoyed the story. I think this was before studio ghibli?

A pretty neat site displaying all of Hayao Miyazaki's involved projects:
    Films, TV Series, and Other Works // Nausicaa.net

20. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    at the festival i watched my neighbor totoro, whisper of the heart, and spirited away today

all three looked amazing on the new 35 mm prints, such fantastic movies