Student arrested for essay's imaginary violence

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dark_Convoy, May 10, 2007.

1. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

2. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Now THAT'S a funny cat sig.

... sorry.

3. defstar

defstar Autobot...

You gotta be number one: sick...and number two: stupid...to write something like this for a school paper...especially with what we are going through in todays school violence...

I can understand writting a war story or about a battle and someone getting hurt/killed...but to ramble on about mindless killing thoughts...

Just stupid...

4. highlander3000

highlander3000 Jump around!

News Credits:
    That was a stupid thing to do. HOWEVER, that was a dumb assingment too. It just invites this sort of of nonsense.

5. Lord Megatron

Lord Megatron FFFF

The assignment should have read: "Write whatever comes to mind, but it can't be violent or offensive. It has to be all sunshine, rainbows, and giggling children. Do not censor yourself, unless it has sex or drugs or violence. We're all pussies here, offended by a few words, so do your best to not express yourself."

6. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Wrong. You don't have to be either of those things when you're told to express your feelings in an uncensored manner on a creative writing assignment to come up with what he did.

He probably should have used better judgment before handing that in, though.

7. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I don't see that at all. He followed the directions. To me, pretending that people don't indulge in violent thoughts is stupid. Normal, healthy people can have thoughts just like that, and denying that is a head-in-the-sand mentality

Far as writing war stories--what, fantasizing about killing people in combat is inherently healthier than fantasizing about killing people at a school? Dead is dead.

8. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
  9. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    *STORY TIME*
    Something Similar Happened To Me A Long Time Ago...

A long time ago, back in my 8th grade English class, we had a group writing session.

The kids would write down a topic or theme on a small piece of paper and place it into a big hat.
    Then, we would each pick a small piece of paper from a hat and what ever was on that paper, you had to write a 2-page story about it.

I wrote down "robots" (hey, I like transformers) and placed it into the hat.

Some kids got topics like "rainy days" or "sports cars" while others got wacky topics like "farts" and "poo". (I know, we were little tricksters back then)

One of my friends got the "poo" topic. He was "delighted" to say the least.
    I got "You ass-------ing the President". $#@%!!! I said to myself. This won't end well.

This was especially bad because 9-11 just happened and I had real respect for the President and our Armed Forces.

I quickly asked a bunch of other kids if they wanted to trade topics but they refused because of the topic I had received, looking at me like I was cursed or had some killer South American monkey super-virus.
    I then asked my teacher, but before I could tell her my topic, she strictly (and somewhat angrily) made it clear to me that I HAD to write about the topic I got. (she was pregnant with her first kid and in a bit of a mood swing that day).

So, I did my assignment as instructed. The next day, the school (and my parents) call me in the school office to question me, to which I explain exactly what the situation was and why I had no choice but to do the assignment (my grade was not good at the time and could use the points boost).

In the end,
    I'm in no trouble at all, but my English teacher ALMOST got fired. It sucked too because she was a very nice lady and she was about to have a kid. Well, it was out of her control because it was the kids who submitted topics into the hat, not her. She learned not to try that class activity again.

>>>Long story short people, if you're an English or Writing teacher, and you want your class to write about a randomly received topic or write about ANYTHING, PLEASE, just please set some guidelines on what you can and cannot write about. It may save people from unwanted trouble.

10. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

what a screwball...

11. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Bye Bye First Amendment :::Me waving as it goes down the road::::

12. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

Panic stricken idiots FTW!

13. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Once bitten...

The school overreacted...the situation should have been discussed with the kid and the father.

These types of things are warning signs, not pre-cursers to an eventual killing spree.

That being said, ...you know your messed up, when the first thing that you think about while creative writing is having sex with dead bodies, wtf?

14. Random Autobot

He was recounting a dream he had. Dreams can be fucked up. FUCKED UP. We've all had bizarre dreams, at one point or another, and anyone who claims not to have is either the most boring git on the planet, or a liar.

I've read published novels that cover similar topics, I don;t see why this kid should be arrested when Anne Rice is allowed to make millions of dollars writing about things of a similar nature.

15. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    They should have called the assignment "Think nice thoughts, and write them down."

16. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    It wasn't a dream, He came up with in his own funcked up mind...

Again, should not be arrested...but he did come up with some pretty disturbing stuff that should be explored a little bit.

And I never have once dreamed of having sex with dead bodies, so I guess I'm boring.

17. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

No shit, this type of thing is getting way out of hand.

So, for now on if someone is considered "not utterly harmless" we are going to throw them in jail.

Seriously What the fuck.

18. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Well when you add joking about having sex with dead people it kind of pushes it over the limit IMO...

As far as the school turning him in...that was just a CYA move...if they didn't and the kid came back a week later and acted on what he wrote...it would all fall back on them...

19. Spartan-117

Spartan-117 Well-Known Member

I can see why the school reacted the way it did but I don't think there's neccesarily anything wrong with the kid. Everyone has fucked up dreams.

20. Random Autobot

I didn't specify sex with the dead, I said dreaming about fucked up things in general.

Now, if this guys creative writing project needs to be "explored" because he could, one day, possibly, act out on these imaginings, does this not mean any published author who writes about similar things should also be explored? Should we have our eye on the guy who wrote "American Psycho'?