Stuck part on SDCC Blaster reissue

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by aaronxvx, Feb 7, 2011.

1. aaronxvx

aaronxvx Member

[​IMG]

I bought the SDCC reissue of Blaster at a local toy store a couple of days ago, and noticed the part of his leg that folds out to make the handle in his alt mode doesn't slide out correctly, (the black part should slide over).

I've tried putting it in the freezer for about 30 minutes, and I didn't boil it, but I put it under scalding water in the sink for 10 minutes or so. There doesn't appear to be anything stuck from what I can tell, it just doesn't want to slide at all.

Does anyone have suggestions ? Should I go ahead and try boiling it, and if I do how long should I boil it for?

Thanks

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    You put it in the freezer? That's a new one. And boiling it? Jeez.

Will the black part move at all? Even a tiny bit? I don't remember if that part has screws or not. If not, I would just pull HARD.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  3. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I would take a small flat-head screwdriver and carefully push on it. I had same problem with my WST Blaster and it wouldn't budge a micrometer. I eventually broke it off so I could transform him into robot, which I now regret doing so.
    I noticed this figure had some stiff joints too.

4. aaronxvx

aaronxvx Member

There's no screw on it. It doesn't affect his overall transformation other than that the handle doesn't fully slide together.

5. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    It's probably some kind of molding problem inside. Or the glue that I guess holds the two halves of the black part together got where it shouldn't inside and the black part is now glued to the grey part. What you could try is unscrewing the leg so you can get the handle separate to make working on it easier and then poke something in the open end of the black part and up against the grey end and try pushing the black part down while pushing the something up. Maybe rest the opposite end of the inserted object (a screwdriver or whatever) down on the table to give you something solid to press against. If you're brave you could try tapping the black part down with something as well.

At the very least it's probably better to unscrew the leg to get the handle separate if you're planning on boiling it (not that I have any idea if boiling will work or utterly ruin the part). That said, I have no idea what mechanisms are inside the leg, although it's probably just an ordinary simple hinge joint and nothing will ping out and hit you in the eye.

Of course I take no responsibility if it gets broken during any of this.

If all else fails and it's really bugging you you could try cracking the black part in half along the seams, fixing the problem and then gluing it back together, maybe with a strip of black tape around the middle to help keep it in one piece and fit in with the colour of the part.

6. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Well-Known Member

That was my first thought also.

You(the OP) did what?? I've never heard of people doing that. Have I just missed those threads or panels at a con?!!

Seems like a good way to ruin a figure, especially the boiling water tactic but either could cause the plastic to warp or bubble I'd think.

7. Fort_Fett

Fort_Fett iRkeN iNvaDR

Us Star Wars nerds to this all the time to our figures, but Transformers aren't as rubbery so I think that freezing/boiling these types of plastics is probably not a great idea (if you intend on keeping your figure in decent shape)

8. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

If you're really out of options, put that part under a hair dryer on the lowest setting for a little bit, tugging on it all the while.