Struggles of collecting

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by KingStyle, Aug 3, 2012.

1. KingStyle

KingStyle Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Allow me to rant a bit. I have started collecting recently and don't have many of the older figures and I also collect other lines such as Marvel and Joes. Recently I've been trying to get another Vehicon and Renegades Storm Shadow. For those who may not know SS is a typical Hasbro last wave offering 1 to a box rehearse that is incredibly cool, accurate and has tons of weapons. As TF fans we know what that's like.

In any case today I went by my local TRU knowing they stocked on Fridays. I got there right as the doors openeded, went to the Joe wall and saw all kinds of wave specific figures, except SS. Now these were all new stock as I went there yesterday and they had 1/4 the selection.

So it left me wondering. What are the odds of someone getting that figure before me. Employees of course! Yippee! Now I'm wondering about MP Prime and hoping these guys are willing to only scalp 10 dollar items vs 100.

That being said is this a common deal or am I just unlucky?

2. Grimlock22

Grimlock22 Some sort of artist

This is kinda rare but dose happen. It happened to me when I was looking for prime Ratchet again rare but it happens

3. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh no! It's the Scalper Boogey Man!!

Maybe the employee is a fellow collector? Or maybe they brought one for a nephew?

You wanted a toy, and somebody beat you to it (inside track, faster than you, whatever). That's life. I just get fed up of people automatically assuming that because they didn't get something, then whoever did must be up to something nefarious and terrible.

4. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

oh teh noes, SCALPERS BEEN DERE!:scalper 
    Really, though, You missed it this once, but you're bound to find it if you're persistent. Who knows, maybe the person who snagged the figure was some little old lady buying a Transformer for her grandson's Birthday and the kid likes Jets (Assuming SS means StarScream, Please don't abbreviate Transformer names)

5. KingStyle

KingStyle Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm not sure if you actually read everything I put there. There was nobody in front of me, so someone beating me to it is invalid. The fact that each time a fresh box comes out certain figures are missing, those being high want items is what bugs me. Collector? Sure thing, no issues. The fact that it happens all the time? Yeah maybe you think that's ok, but when they get less business because employees take items before customers who start going elsewhere, maybe you'll think different.

Your smartass tone wasn't necessary.

Not once, multiple times. SS = Storm Shadow in this case, I thought I made that clear, but my bad if it wasn't.

It's hard to snag the figure when it's snagged by employees putting said figures on the pegs. ;) 

6. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I'm not sure how much it happens, but it's certainly nothing rare. Unfortunately it's just become part of this hobby. We'll never have those days where we knowingly could walk into a store and find the toy of your dreams. Thank the internet for that.