Customs: Stripping paint from clear plastic

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Boy Blunder, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

Hello Radicons! I've just started my first major project, using a RTS Bumblebee. I know that soaking the parts with paint on them in isopropyl alcohol will help with removing the paint, but I was curious about one thing that I haven't been able to find covered much.

Many of you may be familiar with this, but Bumblebee's canopy is made of the same clear plastic as the windows. I remember reading somewhere that using the alcohol trick can cause the clear plastic to 1) become more brittle, and/or 2) cloud up. Is either of these (or both) true? If so, what would be the best way for me to remove the paint from the clear plastic areas? I would like to keep sanding to a minimum until I have to plan out where painted parts are going to come together. Thanks!

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I don't know about it making clear parts brittle. I've test soaked numerous parts - some molded in clear plastic - for extended periods of time (hours, days, even weeks) in either 91% iso or paint thinner and haven't had any issues. However, the clear parts will become cloudy. In my experience, both the alcohol and thinner do this, but I honestly couldn't care less as I typically repaint the entire figure anyway.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  3. grimlockprime

grimlockprime Well-Known Member

i did that with a bb head and it did damage the head to the point i had to resculpt the face

4. ^o^CORVUS^o^

^o^CORVUS^o^ You call on me to solve a crooked rhyme

Ebay:
    I've never had an issue, save for a little bit of clouding.

5. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

Thanks for the head's up, guys. About how cloudy are we talking? I was planning on recoloring the windows anyway, but I'd prefer to keep them translucent.

Yow! Care to share details so I can avoid doing that to mine?

6. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I always use 91% iso alcohol on my clear parts. In fact, I soaked a Classics Magnus chest/windows in it and removed the paint I had put on it originally years ago. No clouding or brittle plastic here. The trick is to not leave it in too long. I left mine in for maybe 45 minutes, then took it out and scrubbed with an old toothbrush, wiped with paper towels (to help remove as much paint as I could at that point, then dipped it back in for another 30-45 minutes. I repeated a bit and finally had it all nice and clean again. Also, the paints were Testors acrylics, just for reference.

7. Neekotron

Neekotron We're in Ratbat Country!

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Everyone's advice here has been pretty solid. I'm currently playing with 5 different repaints of the BB mold, each in a different stage of completion, but for each of them I used a old ratty t-shirt that was going to be tossed out and 91% rubbing alcohol and the paint wiped right off the roof without issue or soaking needed and nothing got brittle on any of them.

Looking forward to seeing what you're making!

8. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll probably get to the first stage of repainting in the next week and share some WIP photos.

Neekotron - Yeah, I would've loved to have started a Bee army (Tap-Out, Glyph, etc) but unfortunately got into this just as all the TJMaxx/Ross/Marshall's stores nearby have dried up most of their RTS stock. Hopefully I'll get another shot.

9. Neekotron

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Amazon.com! I think they are 7-8 each there. A dollar more than Marshalls/Ross prices and if you order 4 they'll be shipped for free! Worth it if you want to get a few to play around with.

BTW, which one was tap out? I know Glyph is Blue, Bug Bite is white.

10. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

Dark green. Technically a Cliffjumper repaint. Acts as Glyph's bodyguard in the club fiction.

11. Neekotron

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Interesting. I did not know about that one. I'm working on a green one as well, but my plan was that he'd be a Nail, named Dimebag. That kinda' puts a cramp on these plans of mine. Hmmm, maybe if I paint his body white instead of black... or maybe purple.. hmm, darn.

12. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

Like I said, he's a dark green. Depending on the colors you're working with, there's any number of ways to differentiate yours.

Tap-Out (G1) - Transformers Wiki

Upon looking again, he actually appears to be a blue-green color. Hm.

13. Neekotron

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    LOL, just saw that and the pics on the resource here. Ok, he has a grey body, so I think my Dimebag will be ok with the black body frame, but I might have to make a Tap Out as well when these are finished.

Lots of fun to be had repainting these BB molds! :D 

14. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

Between BB molds and Seekers, you can make infinite fodder armies, that's for sure. :lol