Striker optimus:u.s. Version or no?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NEST SOLDIER, Dec 4, 2011.

1. NEST SOLDIER

NEST SOLDIER IRONHIDE'S DRIVER

I was just looking at some of the initial images that Takara released of their Striker Optimus, and I'm curious what the community thinks about a U.S. version being released?

I realize that we got the Ultimate Prime figure, but personally, I was dissappointed in the overall toy. The trailer was the wrong color, as well as being too short, and the figure's arms and transformation were nothing like the ROTF leader Prime.

I personally wish that Hasbro would kick things up a notch, by offering us, the fans, a leader class version of Optimus that rivals their Asian competetors.

:2c: 

2. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    Its time for another round of 'I want a Premium toy at a subsidised price'

Hasbro toys are already artificially cheap in the US. That toy isnt
    happening unmodified at 45 and I doubt retailers are going to be fussed about selling
    a more expensive version of that toy when its been around the block twice already.

It has more additional plastic it in than buster...and two years later
    Still.waiting for a US release of buster. Just like buster it has no hasbro logo on the box.

People who would like totally pay 45 for a 100 toy, begin your rationalizing.

Or alternatively, gentlemen start your wahhmbulances.

3. Apoclatron5675

Apoclatron5675 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I want an Optimus released with the Retooled striker figure having the Buster prime gun canisters and jetwings as well as just one big pack with one figure with many accesories for I'd say $60-$80, c'mon Hasbro you know you want to

4. Agent Adam

Agent Adam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I could see it as a store exclusive, but certainly not at the regular leader price. I don't expect it to happen though.

5. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I really woudn't call them "artificially cheap" in the US, just more expensive in other places. Reality of it is there are more developed distribution chanels here, pretty big economies of scale, lack of import taxes, etc, etc, that strongly contribute to the differences in prices from nation to nation.

That being said, I also doubt that we will get it as a retail standard Leader figure, but do think there is a chance to have it as an exclusive at some store depending on how long they plan on running the continuation line. I think this one or Jetwing would be perfect for Costco, though I am not going to hold my breath. If I have the cash and nothing else to buy (which is doubtful), I will jump on atleast one of these. Bought buster 2nd hand for $120 and didn't blink an eye. It is a fantastic color scheme. Havent seen Striker in person, but after seeing Jetwing in person, I was glad I didn't have $200 in my pocket at the time.

6. wildfly

News Credits:
    Labour costs, raw material costs, exchange rates, all less favorable than they used to be. Meanwhile, at least one U.S volume retailer refuses to recognise anything but marginal increases in wholesale costs.
    Other retailers have to price match otherwise they go out of business. If Hasbro doesn't play along, they miss out too, so they're pushed into a cost squeeze. Silver paint? All but gone. Non-orangey red plastic? More or less gone, you get the idea. Even white backgrounds on tampod faction logos seem to be a rarity now(?)

Meanwhile, in just about every other market Transformers have steadly risen in price year upon year. Taxation isn't shifting that quickly, nor are distribution networks deteriorating.
    Transformers ARE kept artificially cheap in the U.S while other markets are subjected to regular price increases.

Pile 'em high, sell em in volume, at a low profit per unit, is probably also part of the reason half of RTS had lousy distribution.

And i've seen enough complaints about lack of availabiltiy of Leader Ironhide,(a mass produced toy) for example, enough pictures of half empty Wal-mart racks, to be less than convinced distribution in the U.S. is
    that well developed.

You can't have retailers keeping costs low, squeezing a manufacturer on srp, margins, then be too surprised when a higher end product doesn't make it to U.S. shores.

Hasbro's margins have been squeezed too tight for them to turn out Striker Prime, unaltered, at 45.00, and i very much doubt any extras that make the cut will convince any retailers to take the mold as an exclusive for a third retail rotation at an increased price.

If Hasbro were going to push that mold at an increased cost over and above Leader Price point... i think, we would have seen Buster Prime at retail already. Striker has more plastic in it, and the movie line is going into a lull.

The only retailer, correct me if i'm wrong, that's shown an interest in more expensive exclusives of late is TRU... and i strongly suspect they'd rather just sit tight for another Masterpiece mold.

And for shits and giggles, maybe i should take a picture of the text on the back of Striker's box that says "For sale in Japan only"

Several months ago, Jetwing HAD TO be released at U.S retail, well below Takara pricing BECAUSE....

Now it's Striker.

As costs continue to rise, retailers will put more pressure on Hasbro to keep costs down.

Takara meanwhile are indicating they're going the other direction, focusing more and more on people willing to pay a premium for slight extras, new tooling, or entirely new molds.

As time goes on, there's a fairly strong chance you're going to see more and more Takara product that doesn't make it to Hasbro retailers.

7. barrelks

News Credits:
    Well, considering MSRP has increased $3 on Deluxes, $3 on Voyagers, and $5 on Leaders since I started collecting (first movie) outside of sales/rollbacks, I would say we have seen increases. But this is a different topic for a different time. Though I do agree that exchange rates have hurt us tremendously of late (feeding my fat gut is not as fun as it used to be).

I think Ultimate Optimus may be the death of getting this as a mass release here, as retailers/parents may shy away from a second big Prime, but of course there were two mass retail versions of Ultimate BB, as well as the other "something or other" ops bumblebee that saw mass releases. If you really want it, I say save a few bucks here and there, sell some stuff (TF or other), and save up for the Takara release. It is always fun to reward yourself with a sought after piece that may be outside of your budget every now and then.

8. NEST SOLDIER

NEST SOLDIER IRONHIDE'S DRIVER

I hope we at least get a retooled version of ROTF Leader Optimus, if not a Hasbro redeco of Striker. My ROTF Leader Optimus was stolen, and the prices it's going for on ebay and amazon are ridiculous, especially for one that is loose.

9. barrelks

News Credits:
    Just keep your eyes on the B/S/T threads on here, one is bound to pop up for a decent price.

10. Agent Adam

Agent Adam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Battle Hooks Prime being abundant didn't help Buster's chances either. Likewise, Ultimate Prime in Striker's case as barrelks pointed out.

11. wildfly

News Credits:
    Other markets have had steady price increases, year on year. I think, US retail is really at the point where price increases can't be ignored anymore, and something has to give. Be it what you pay, what you get for the money, or a bit of both.

Ultimate Prime... i've some doubts that took a place that would otherwise be used for another rotation of the Leader Prime mold. The (Takara) designer said it was conceived as a 'fun' toy, which makes me think of more of a child focus, not unlike the larger Bumblebees to which you referred. I'm hard pressed to think of any mold, Leader or bigger, that has more than two cycles at U.S retail anyway.

This is what happens when a subline ends, people go into completion frenzy, then a while down the line secondary market prices taper off.

I mean, this time last year, a local retailer had piles of Jetfire at half off, and i thought they'd never be rid of him.......and look at the prices it's fetching on eBay now.

There's also a lot of people just plain chancing their arm on pricing because TFs are 'hot' now.

12. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I know I'd rather see this at retail instead of "Ultimate Optimus Prime".

13. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

So if Hasbro wants to sell this product, do they have to buy the right (? licence?) from TakTom?

Attached Files:

14. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    I remember Jetfire, it is a bit crazy. Take a look at Shadow Command Megatron!

15. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    not likely im afraid. it is and will be a Takaratomy exclusive, whether you wish otherwise.
    Edit: Thanks, SydY for posting the 'For Sale in Japan ONLY' pic. Hopefully there will be less threads asking this over and over again... :p 

oh and miscreant rules the thread. :D 

16. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy

News Credits:
    Yeah not going to happen at the normal Leader price tag. Way too much stuff (even with just the guns and shield).

Randy

17. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    That's fine. I'd at least like to see it at US retail. It's not gonna happen, though.

18. Leo Primus

Leo Primus Well-Known Member

It basically states the distributor of the particular factory set (as in toy + box + included paper materials), not the mold owner.

19. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    ^True, but it's more to do with distribution rights. Takaratomy might have put a clause of some sort to only limit Striker Prime's release in Japan/Asia. Plus they have the rights to the mould as well..............

20. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hasbro has the ability to use any takara mold or product that passes u.s. safety laws. they have stated they will not release an item if it was intended to be a retailer exclusive in Japan. however, that rules has been bent/broken a couple of times