Customs: Straxus Ideas?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Ravenxl7, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Hi all. I've been thinking about this one for a little while, and have come up with a couple of ideas, but figured I'd start a thread to see what other ideas are out there. I've been trying to come up with an idea for a Classics Straxus, which is something I'm thinking about doing over the summer. It'll possibly be the first major kitbash I do (a more simple one wouldn't be right, imo). I've only come across one kitbash of the character, and that is venon's repaint/retool of Cybertron Dark Crumplezone (seen here). While it looks good, especially the paint job, it's not really the direction I want to go in. The pictures I've posted with this thread are the main one's I'm using as reference for this idea, especially the first one. I'm planning on attempting to get a bot-mode similar to the look of that, but with an alt-mode similar to the second picture there, which is why this is definitely going to have to be a heavy mod, and a good amount of sculpting (especially the head). Below is a list of molds I'm thinking about starting off with. My two favorites so far are Energon Jetfire and Megatron (would only use one of them). I think either one of them would make a good starting point. The pick-axe is going to be a must for this, imo. Though that shouldn't be too hard, theoretically at least. Feel free to post any ideas you have for a Straxus kitbash. There's bound to be someone on here with a better idea than what I've come up with so far, lol.

-Armada Jetfire
    -Energon Jetfire
    -Energon Megatron
    -Star Wars Clone Pilot
    -Star Wars Manga Guard Droid

Attached Files:

2. dyingwill3rd

dyingwill3rd Life is a fabled mystery

Maybe a heavy modded Energon Stormjet?

3. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Eh, it's a possibility, but I'm having a hard time seeing it working out for some reason. A good nights sleep, and a fresh look at the idea in the morning might change my mind though. I think the main reason is that it's a Deluxe, and I've been trying to think of molds that are at least Voyager class sized. Only reason I put the two SWTF molds (which are roughly Deluxe scale) up there is because they were two of my first ideas when I started thinking about this.

4. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    I don't know how well he'd fit the Classics look, but Animated Cybertron mode Megatron would work pretty well. Deluxe only though, what with the giant honking cannon the voyager has.

5. doomtron

doomtron seeker

News Credits:
    oh yeah thats the right mold

6. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    That would definitely work for the Animated aesthetic, but it wouldn't look right next to Classics figures, imo.

7. Terrorcon_King

Terrorcon_King Has Gone Transmetal

News Credits:
    IMO id go with Energon Megatron,
    he's basiclly got the Vehical mode set!
    just flip him upside down and change the head of the the vehical mode to a gun
    add some treads an there we go, you've got a Straxus :) 

8. luke4

luke4 crocon

i would go with starwars crossovers droid tank thingy. they blue and white one. all it needs is a new head.

will post a pic tomorrow.

9. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    I think none of those would work. I think an Armada Jetfire would work best out of all of them, but I think that an Energon Barricade would work best.

10. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    definitely energon megatron, he has the bulk, and his alt mode turned upside down is very close to straxus' alt mode

11. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Energon Megs is one of my top favorite options for this. There is just one thing that's stopping me from instantly picking him. I've already used the mold for my Overlord kitbash, and I think that if I was to use it again for Straxus, that the too would look too similar. Even with all the remolding I would do (chest, arms, legs, head, etc...). If I do pick Energon Megs in the end, I'm going to try and get ahold of the Voyager class version of him. That way there would be one more difference between him and my Overlord, size class.

I honestly disagree. Yeah, the alt-mode would make sense for him, and the blue looks good, but that's about it. Now, if I was doing a kitbash of him if he had somehow traveled to the Star Wars universe, and needed a disguise from there, it would be perfect. It's also too simple of a mod, imo. I'm looking for something that'll challenge me, and get me to do some major mods on it. Even using Energon Megs for this would give me a good amount of mods to do.

Energon Barricade came to mind to me too. I just have a hard time seeing myself moding a flying alt-mode into the mold. He's also a Deluxe, and I've been trying to think of Voyager or larger molds. As for Armada Jetfire, I see potential in him, but I've never actually handled him. I'm going to look threw some galleries of his toy to see what mods could be done to him.

12. luke4

luke4 crocon

13. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

I do think Energon Megatron would work, but like you said that if you use it. It'll look the same as Overlord. So maybe Energon Jetfire, but still I think it'll be a challenge for you. But thats my opinion.

14. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    At this point I think that both Energon Megatron and Energon Jetfire would be nice challenges in their own respects. Though Jetfire does have the benefit of being even more different than Overlord, and also being a bit more challenging, imo. I did an extremely rough color test on him yesterday. I'll post it up here in a second (I'll add it to this post). I plan on doing a digibash of some of the mods I could do on him, and maybe a version using Energon Megs for comparison.

Edit: Just added the rough color test I did on Energon Jetfire. Just to basically see how the colors would look on him as-is. That and I was bored yesterday, lol.

Attached Files:

15. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I'm still working on it, but I figured I got enough done to show it. I'm basically just borrowing parts from other TF's for the moment, to sort of mimic the details of Straxus to a certain degree. Honestly doing this mostly out of boredom, and will probably do a version using Energon Megs, and possibly Armada Jetfire.

Edit: Here's an updated version, with some mods to the legs.

Attached Files:

16. Ezilla82

Hey whatever works for you. I'm sorry that I don't have anything else to add here. But I think you got it covered.

17. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    It's ok. I'm sure if you do come up with an ideas, that you won't have a problem telling any of them to me. I wouldn't say I have everything covered, lol, but I do have a good start, some solid ideas, and plenty of time :D 

18. Ezilla82

Cool. I thought of Classics Jetfire as Straxus, but it didn't have that flying death blaster from the sky look. Energon Megs has that look and people told how to do it, but you wanted to have the body built like in those pics and Energon Jetfire has that look. Maybe mods here and there and you'll have a badass Straxus.

19. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Classics Jetfire did come to my mind as an option, but I had a hard time imagining a more alien looking vehicle coming out of the mold. Energon Megs is still an option for me, I just wanted to explore my Energon Jetfire idea a bit, which I think has a decent chance of being the version I end up making. I'll be exploring the Megs mold too.

Just finished the digibash test I did with the Energon Jetfire mold. I even added in a special background :D 

Attached Files:

20. Ezilla82

Well the digibash is impressive..oh hell it looks like Straxus to me. All he needs is his pick-axe type weapon and there you go.