Minor/Repaint: StratonRye's Wreckers: Roadbuster WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by stratonrye, Aug 17, 2011.

1. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

Update time 3/27/12!!!!! See page 2, post 13

Later that day...
    Okay so back for the complete rundown. This is going to be extremely long because I have a horrible time condensing what I want to say in as few words as possible (hence why I have a small number of posts and few status updates on Twitter and Facebook) so I'm sorry in advance. :D  I really like WIP threads where the poster explains exactly what and how they did everything so you can learn from their mistakes, triumphs, and techniques and also their funny (or at least somewhat amusing) little stories along the way. Now, with that disclaimer, feel free to skip or skim the rest of this massive book of a post I'm writing but be sure to take a look at the questions at the bottom of the post cause I want some opinions (more than my own and my mom's cause she's nice and listens to me ramble about this stuff) and reply with your own opinion. It'd really help me out. Thanks!:)  Like many of us in the fandom, after reading Last Stand of the Wreckers I'm totally obsessed with the Wreckers and am dying to have my own crew of Wreckers sitting on my desk in my room, even if I have to 'bash them up myself. As soon as I saw people doing this Crossovers Captain America to Roadbuster idea I loved it and knew I had to try it myself. I held off cause I wanted to get the base figure at clearance price (cause I'm cheap and poor) and finally found a XOver Iron Man (same mold) for like $9 bucks at Ross and started later that night with much excitement. I think my favorite version of this Roadbuster custom has to be Autobotx23's awesome versions so I contacted him to ask him if I could basically copy his with a few variations along with a couple questions about his techniques. He gave me some painting advice and basically said to go for it but that I should try and make it my own somehow. So I thought about how I wanted to change my RB up (cause I really just think that ABx23's is perfect and wouldn't change a thing) and realized that one of my favorite things about LSOTW was Josh Burcham's coloring work being an artist myself and a huge fan of his bright and bold color pallet so I decided to emulated his coloring style somehow and that could be my twist. I chose a little brighter paint sheme than ABx23's and decided that instead of kissing the edges with a highlight color I'd drybrush them a little more heavily with the highlight color like how Josh does his highlights with that scratchy/charcoal textured/not round and smooth brush in photoshop in a lot of his stuff he posts on his deviant art page. With that in mind I went to work.

MODs to Date:
    I started on him (like I said) pretty much the day I got him by taking him apart and sanding down all the molded mesh/chain mail texture on the front half of the car. It turned out to be not as hard to do as I thought it would be. I used some super rough sanding sponge blocks I found in our garage to take most of it off then used some smoother sanding sticks and sandpaper to finish the job. I'm really proud of how I got those pieces all nice and smooth with just a little bit here and there left of the mesh sculpting on the hard to reach/sand corner pieces and touching edges. Unfortunately I missed a couple spots/gate makes I could have filled in on the first couple pieces I primed :banghead: , but I did fill those types of blemishes on the other parts so that's good :rock . Next, on the top of the left/driver's side front wheel well in the vehicle mode of this mold there is this strange angled bump that I decided to shave down and patch back smooth. I did a pretty good job on the top of it but the bottom looks a little chunky, like I filled it in with Green Stuff (which I did) so you won't be seeing that.:D  Then, like most people that have done this repaint, I realized the the hands needed some help. I wanted to replace them but didn't have anything to use instead so I decided to mod them to work. I wanted them to have 5mm holes so my RB could hold any other figure's 5mm peg sized weapon as well as any mech-tech weapon. Luckily, while this mold's hands doesn't have 5mm holes drilled into it, 5mm holes are sculpted on. Totally crazy I know, BUT IT'S THE TRUTH! The designers must have decided to change the hole width for some reason cause 5mm holes are really there, they just drilled a smaller hole in the center of the 5mm sculpted indent. So, with that realized, it was as simple as finding a 5mm wide drillbit, popping it into our drill, and (with a pre-drilled hole to help keep me centered) carefully enlarging the hole. What a snap! After some test fitting with RTS Track's gun (or Wheeljack's I can't remember) and some touch sanding and smoothing of the holes RB now had some great hands. I might replace them later with some ball-jointed and articulated Gundam hands later, but for now these are great! I also carefully enlarged a couple more holes on him so he can hold more 5mm pegged weapons elsewhere on his bot and car mode, specifically that hole on the top of his roof and one of the holes that would have fit Cap's shield to his forearm (that one was just barely too small, must be 4mms).

Painting:
    Like I said before, I absolutely love ABx23's RB and I'm basing my version's color scheme (placement and all) heavily (really exactly) on his in addition to how the techniques he used to the best of my abilities. I've never tried to paint anything in this style so it has been a learning experience. I basically settled on painting RB in a similar style that I was confident I could do and looked good. My method is basically like how the orange pieces are: prime, base coat color, panel line, and heavily drybrushed edges. First I stripped his paint with the standard method of a rubbing alcohol soak for a while and then a soap and water scrubbing bath. I also tried to sand all the possible rub spots on this guy and rough up all the surfaces of his parts before painting and it looks like I did a pretty good job so far. Next I primed him with Krylon Fusion white. I'm hand painting everything (cause I don't have an airbrush or a place to use one at our house, which sucks) using pretty much all Testors/Testors Model Masters enamel and acrylic (they call them "Acryl" acrylics BTW) paints for this guy. I did panel-lined this guy using a small Micron drawing pen (for browns) plus a little thinned Taimya black here and there and a thin dark green I just painted on as like a wash I guess.

(Long, detailed painting breakdown edited out here because it was ridiculous.)

First Post
    Hey all! I just finished putting some finishing touches on several of the parts of this guy and wanted to post up some WIP shots. I tend to take pictures and then not actually make a new thread to post them in so I'm just going to post some up tonight (well, this morning) and explain everything later tomorrow (today). Plus it's pretty late right now.... not that I ever go to sleep early. :eek:  All you other night owls and international peeps can just think of this as a teaser thread until then.;) 

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      770.9 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      322.2 KB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      237.3 KB
      Views:
    • 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      1.8 MB
      Views:
    • 010.JPG
      010.JPG
      File size:
      318.8 KB
      Views:
    • 011.JPG
      011.JPG
      File size:
      476 KB
      Views:
    • 032.JPG
      032.JPG
      File size:
      743.2 KB
      Views:
    • 033.JPG
      033.JPG
      File size:
      1.9 MB
      Views:
    • 017.JPG
      017.JPG
      File size:
      395.2 KB
      Views:
    • 020.JPG
      020.JPG
      File size:
      397 KB
      Views:
    • 025.JPG
      025.JPG
      File size:
      411.5 KB
      Views:
  2. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Nice work.

3. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

Thanks! (haven't gone to bed yet)

4. Dicron

Dicron Well-Known Member

I'm eager to see this done. Roadbuster's one of my favorites.

5. Demonss

Demonss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    nice painting there!

6. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agreed, nice paintwork. However, I see you have done something I see a lot of painters doing that REALLY bugs me. That is that you haven't bothered to clean up the seams from the moulding. You can really see it on the crotch, and the thighs. For me, it's really detrimental to the overall look of the paintwork, which is a shame because I really like the highlighting you've done.

7. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

Why thank you so much for noticing. That kind of stuff really bugs me too so I made sure I did it! I've seen one of the best 'bashers on the boards do an amazing and realistic repaint of Movie Leader Prime and leave the little sculpted "CE" that is on those side gas tanks there. I was like, "Awe man, this looks so amazing! It's like Prime is a real truc..... oh wait, no he's a toy cause there is that little 'CE' thing that toys have." The custom suspended disbelief for a moment only to un-suspend it by not removing that detail. I mean if you are going to go through all the trouble you went through repainting the guy you might as well spend a few more minutes getting rid of stuff like that. Don't get me wrong though cause it was still an amazing custom and he probably spent the time he would have removing that mark with painting more little awesome details but it was a tiny bit disappointing.

Anyway, a slight update. At the end of my first post update I have some questions to ask all of all my fellow bashers and the last one I said would be here so here it is:
    Should I use hand-drawn style 'bot symbols on this guy? What I mean is that I plan on making (or commissioning someone) some waterslide decals for this guy and I was thinking I would be cool to use Autobot symbols with that hand-drawn look to them like in LSOTW. I mocked up my idea in photoshop using a symbol from the fifth cover on top of my painted part in both the center of the part (like most people do on this custom) and the side (G1 style). What do you think? Should I do it or should I just use a perfectly drawn one?

Also, I was thinking that, so I don't have to try and print something that matches my red paint, could I try just printing the black lines of the symbol on clear decal paper and paint the part red underneath where it will go very carefully? That way it would be red and match the red taillights too. Would that work? Has anyone tried it? Does anyone know the exact color code for Testors Model Masters Guard Red? Does it matter? Am I being crazy and overthinking this for the sake of perfection?

Attached Files:

8. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Now THAT's what I'm talking about. Love the orange to yellow work with the weathering, sharp wash application. Looking damn good, man. :thumb 

9. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I do the same thing.....I write novels to share my ideas and plans on how I built something. lol

It looks GREAT so far! I love the colors used and the weathering--looks damn nice! I envy you guys who paint so well. I paint pretty good, but my skills are in building and designing--wish I could capture my work as well as you do! Keep it up, bro!

10. 12bulkhead

12bulkhead Artist

Description's too short...

11. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    ^^ This one *lol*

man georgious paintjob!

12. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    He actually meant that you haven't done it.. ie. you can see the line down the middle of the thigh here:

[​IMG]

but still though, description - it's not too long, it's all useful stuff, but a couple of simple tricks that would make it a little easier to read would be to use a larger font size for your headings, and more paragraph breaks.. keep each one to just a feew sentences.

13. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

To address this before I update if anyone cares.... I think I skimmed Jaicen's post and somehow (I have completely no idea how since Jaicen was very clear) I though he was complementing me on how I cleaned the left over nub marks and smoothed out the seam lines (since originally the parts didn't perfectly match each other). Things like that, as I said in my response, bug me on even the most immaculately painted customs. I think I let my ego jump to that conclusion before I actually read the content of the post. Getting rid of seam lines like that is a pain the butt to do and requires plastic melting cement (which I don't have currently) and more work than I'm willing to put into it. Those seam lines actually do bug me, but it's not worth it to me to fix it. Thanks for the tips on long posts kjeevahh, I'll deffinitely use them later (or now while writing this if I end up writing a bunch again).

Okay, time for the real update:
    I worked on this guy a little more right after I started this thread, but not too must more. Basically I just finishing the paint jobs on the pieces I attached in the first post and sprayed a flat topcoat on them (pics of the results below). Then I stopped because I couldn't find a vintage junker RB I could afford and I couldn't proceed with painting anymore with out having those parts. :eek:  [Pro tip: Get all the parts you need for a 'bash (or have them on the way) before you ever start working.] Then, I noticed that javaco mentioned in his recent WIP thread for his Roadbuster that he got the G1 head cast from the awesome spoonman!!! I've gotten a custom head from ole' spoony before, so I shot him a PM and asked if he would make a cast of RB's head for me too. He said sure. Then I said, "I'd really like to get copies of RB's G1 toy bumper and leg armaments too?" And he said, "No prob, I got ya covered.:thumb " And I was like :D :rock :bowdown: :bday ... well not happy birthday, but you get it. I was pumped. Then, after an unexpectedly long wait for it to come in the mail (not spoonman's fault) the parts finally arrived and look amazing! If you need these parts too, get them from spoonman.

So, now I've putty-ed and cleaned them up a little more because I'm super OCD/anal. (Not because they're bad casts. They're probably about the best repros of the parts as you can do with a home casting kit.) Everything is done and ready to glue in place then paint, except for the head which needs just a bit more work. I might have to do that "Spray a thin coat of primer to really see how smooth everything really is and be able to fix it" thing for it to look good enough for me to call it done. Anyway, I added a ball joint to the head (my first time to try that and mostly succeed) and made a neck for him using some green stuff and after market polycap-style joints I got from HLJ. It's not the best looking neck but, other than maybe a little more sanding to smooth the neck out, I'm just going to make myself move on from that. Finally, I snapped a couple shots of this sweet gun I found for RB in the "box of random old toys we're selling for a dollar" at my local comicbook store. If anyone can tell me where it came from that'd be awesome because I'm kinda curious. It used to fire a spring loaded missile, which it didn't come with so I trimmed the trigger off and then filled in the hole. Next it had this tan colored sculpted rubber chain strap hanging off the bottom that I nipped off and filled in where it was. It actually looked pretty cool, but not for RB so 'bash fodder it becomes. On the top where there is a bunch of green now there were these goofy-ass looking spikes made of the same tan rubbery plastic as the chain. They looked horrible and had to go. I decided to sculpt the butt of the gun in a cone-like shape. Then I added sawed off the original handle and epoxied on a piece of 5mm styrene tube in it's place and BAM! New, awesome looking rifle for RB.

Things I'd like your need opinions on PLEASE!!!!!:
    1. What do you think about the neck? It fits easily in alt but, does it look too long in bot mode? (It looks a little long to me but I'll be able to live with it if anyone else thinks so too.)

2. While on the subject of the neck, does it need to be more box shaped or more flat-top-pyramid shaped? (like a 3d trapezoid shape.... you know what I mean right?:eek: ) Is it even a significant enough detail to worry about?

3. Take a look at the brown parts in the pics below. Does the brown need the drybrushed highlights like the orange and green parts too? If so, what color? I'm thinking a light brown or tan or a bare metal color.

4. Take a look at the top of that rifle I modded for RB. What should I do with the spot where the spikes were? I tried to round it off or something but it's just not working. Any ideas?

Hopefully this post is a little less intimidating in length to read. As I said earlier, pics attached below of the finished, and dullcoated parts I have done, the gun I modded, PLUS spoonman's casts after all the "bodywork" I did to them.

Attached Files:

• 024.JPG
      024.JPG
      File size:
      625.3 KB
      Views:
    • 026.JPG
      026.JPG
      File size:
      786 KB
      Views:
    • 028.JPG