Customs: Strap it down

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Katamari Prime, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

I found an interesting problem when trying to remove pins, namely in that the part keeps moving with each hammer strike, I tried rubber bands but that doesn't do much. What do you all think? Clamps? String? Brick? How did you resolve this problem if you had it.

2. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    Use a vice with some padding.

3. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    I usually do my work on my bed cuz that's the only piece of furniture I have that I can sit on in my room. So, I put the part between my feet, hold it with my feet and hammer away lol. Always makes my inner thighs sore, though.

4. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I ususally go to the edge of my work bench and place the area where the pin is going to be knocked out flat on my bench. When I hammer the pin, it partially goes into my workbench and I then pull it out with pliers. It marks up my workbench, but its a workbench after all and its meant to get marked up.

5. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I try to place whatever part I'm removing a pin from on a piece of soft wood. The wood gives enough when you're hammering the pin "into" it that it won't get in the way.

In terms of keeping the piece attached, I use two belts with adjustable grips. Leather holds plastic in place pretty good.

Oh man, that last sentence sounded kinky.

6. Lobo

Lobo Well-Known Member

IMO that's the best option. I have a 6" scrap peice of 2x4 that I use. One thing I did so the parts wouldn't move is drill a 1/8" hole through the wood. Once you get the pin started and a little way out, put the pin in the hole and it'll keep the whole part from moving around. Plus, when you knock the pin all the way out, it'll just fall through so you won't have to dig it out of the wood.

7. Katamari Prime

So soft wood for this, That's easy to find. and adjustable belts, excellent.

8. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

I have the pin puncher thing, and use the 1/16 bit, but so far I've gone through 4 of them in just a few customs...I got mine at Home Depo, is there a better quality one, or is this just normal..It bends and then snaps off, and I have to go buy a new set for 8$ and the other 2 peices are useless..They don't even sell a single peice .

9. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Go to sears and get a set of Craftsman punches, I think you can get a fairly good set for like 12 bucks. You won't bend these unless you put them in a vise and hit them on the side with a small sledge.

10. Katamari Prime

Obviously I need to do my homework better, I had no idea something like that existed, I was just using small nails. (Crude, but effective. That what was also used in the KB Guide.)

11. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    A helper. One of you holds the figure and the punch, the other person hammers. It makes it a group activity. Talk, joke, etc. Makes customizing a little less lonely...