Strange Phone Calls

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by alphie, Apr 19, 2007.

1. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    Anybody else get phone calls that just leave you going, WTF?

As of late, I NEVER pick up my phone. For some reason, we always get strange calls or wrong numbers. On top of that, our number is one off from people who are running from the police and one number off from some train company.

Today, I let the answering machine pick up after the phone rang. The message is as follows:

Voice recording - "Please, wait for the next available representative."

Female voice begins to talk - "So, it's 3:30 right?" Males voice then she laughs. "Oh yeah.... You got a hot date tonight or something?" More laughter. "That was the...." She keeps fading in and out before my machine finally cuts the message off. From the sounds of it, she was having a conversation with somebody in the room with her. Strange.

No idea what had happened or what took place. One of the stranger calls I've gotten since I received this phone number.

2. y2jversion1

y2jversion1 Rent this space today!

Ebay:
    Get a new number maybe?

3. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

You were being connected to a call center. The computer thought it was you who picked up, so when your answering machine clicked, it routed you to a rep. The rep only heard silence, must not have been aware it was an answering machine, and was carrying on a conversation with her coworker next to her.

4. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    Thanks. :)  That would explain it.

y2jversion1 - Right now, it's mildly entertaining to have this number. :lol  Haven't really had a HUGE problem with it yet.

5. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Every once and a while some old lady calls my cell phone. Same conversation everytime.

Phone rings-
    Me-hello
    Old lady- Mimi?
    Me-excuse me?
    old lady-is this mimi?
    me- NO *annoyed*

Keep in mind I am a grown man and my voice in no way sounds like a woman's let alone and old grandma lady.

6. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

Weirdest I got was an indian person trying to sell me a limo.

7. Keiichitron

Keiichitron Not a physicist, dammit

Ebay:
    my work number is the same as a store catalog's (minus the 1-800), so i get a lot of calls from people trying to order clothes (mostly grandmas). biggest WTF call was when was when i answered (and i use my company name which doesn't sound like the catalog, people just don't listen), and the lady on the other end goes into a 10 minute rant on how she's called and ordered a catalog but never got it so called again and go the run around and is now calling again to see if she can get the catalog. i'm like... "uh.... wrong number."

8. Mr. Wholesome

Mr. Wholesome WWOD What Would Ops Do?

Ebay:
    I get all kinds of weird phone calls. But I have this thing from my phone company that when someone calls with an unavailabe number, out of state or is a soliciter it has a distinct ring. It's pretty nice, so now I just hear the weird poeple on my answering machine.

9. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Every so often someone will call my home number and all you hear is a soft, electronic beeping. I'm not sure if it's a fax trying to set up handshaking or what. Sometimes it calls at like 3:00 in the morning.

I call it Sputnik.

10. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    We get 2 types of wrong number calls all the time at my work. The business is called Aaron Autos so we get people calling who think they are calling Aarons Furniture. On lady called all mad one time

"They took my couch too!"
    "who did"
    "The assholes who took my TV"
    "Ma'am this is car dealership"

Are 1800 number is also close to a 1888 for a phone card of sometime, so I get pissed of people yelling and me that their phone card doesn't work. To which I reply.

"And?"

11. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

We have had a present Number fro over 5 years, and its a Recycled number. We still get at least 1 call a week for the previous people. Its as if they fell off the face of the earth becasue we get calls from there old church and friends. They must of hated there old life or something. We also keep getting calls from North Dakota for no reason, and we are in Wisconsin.

12. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In college, I had a number that was one digit off from some engineering firm in Wisconsin. I eventually started taking messages :) 

13. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

its funny when you said wrong number, and they go, "Aint this xxx-xxxx" and you go nope...then two minutes later, your phone rings and its the same person. They dont sound drunk or anything either....

Or when some female asks for someone and you go "sorry, wrong number" then you ask for your name, you tell them, then they start a conversation...

14. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

We were getting calls like that for a couple days on one phone in my office. I don't think it was fax because it did not have that distinct annoying sound that a fax machine uses.

A different phone in the same room has a number that used to be the number for the appliance department at a local Sears, so we often get calls for them. I don't know if these people are using phone books that are over 5 years old, or if they might have that number on a receipt.

15. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    we just got a new number about two months ago, and we've been getting alot of calls from collection agencies, looking for the previous owner of our number. For some reason, they don't believe me when I tell them they've got the wrong number.

16. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is a very true story of a recount of something that happened to my roommate in college:

Poor bastard XD Thought it makes for one hell of a story doesn't it?

17. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

I use to get all kinds of wrong numbers at my old house when I use to have a landline, usually about once every other day, got one asking for Sister so and so, I'm like no nun lives here, we have way to much sex for that. I ended up doing my Sean Connery impression on the answering machine so that maybe they'd get the hint.

18. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    It was your baby, wasn't it Omega?

19. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nope, I still have my V-Card if you get my meaning...it's still mint fresh and hasn't come into play...a fact I happen to be proud of coming from the whole "save sex, until marriage" consortium...one of the few morales I retain despite converting to Buddhism.

20. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

I respect people who can wait until marriage, but I certainly don't believe in it. I want to test drive a car before I buy it, you know?