Strange PC Error

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Joe Moore, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    The last few days my Firefox has been randomly freezing. It just stops loading websites. I close firefox, but can't kill the process. I've uninstalled or disabled all add-ons. The really wierd thing is that once this error happens, I can not shut down the PC. I have to hard reboot.

I've always used AVG and Spybot as well as Ad-Aware. All programs are using the most up-to-date info. None of those programs have found any viruses, spyware, adware or general malware. I've uninstalled Zone Alarm, per Firefox forums. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox.

I'm using Firefox 3 and Windows Vista. Any ideas.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  2. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    So other browsers work? Your network connection works? Have you tried Hijackthis to scan for viruses?

You could uninstall & reinstall Firefox.

If that doesn't fix it, you can at least eliminate FF as the problem.

3. Julliant

Julliant This space for rent.

I guess firstly we should find out where the problem lies. It could be your hardware. Do other browsers work? You should also restart after uninstalling Firefox before reinstalling. See if it's Firefox causing this.

4. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I'm having the same problem, Joe. I'm just assuming it's a glitch that will fix itself eventually.

5. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I have no problems running IE or Opera, even after FF crashes. I'm typing on IE right now because it happened again. I did restart after uninstalling.

I used Hijackthis and found nothing out of the ordinary. Does anyone know of any progams that will kill a process?

6. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I know that Firefox performance can vary from operating system to operating system - it's relatively stable on my XP PC, but crashes constantly on my work PC running windows 2000.

Has Firefox or Vista downloaded an update to it's self recently?

7. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Nothing that would coincide with the errors starting. FF hasn't updated in a few weeks. Vista hasn't had an update for me in roughly a week or so before thsi started happening.

8. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    If you don't have problems using a cmd line, use this:

PsKill v1.12

9. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

since you already disabled add-ons for firefox and still having the same issue, i would lean toward a program that is interfering.

Id say MSCONFIG it and click startup, and Id uncheck the anti-virus ones you may have running on startup. Reboot and see if it helps.

If you wanna get technical and to be safe, uncheck items one at a time and try..reboot....launch firefox. reboot, try launch firefox.... maybe youll hit one or two that you might have installed lately and it might help your situation.

Check your add/remove programs for old junk thats cluttering your HD for fun.

10. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Try going back to Firefox 2.

11. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

I could make the usual MS/Vista crack, but I really think something's wrong with Firefox 3 - generally speaking. The Firefox 3 beta worked perfectly on my Linux laptop (before my battery died - and damn, batteries aren't cheap, are they?) but Firefox 3 was really problematic on my desktop (Mac) for awhile until a recent update. I don't know what the hell's going on. I don't think it's just you. And it really sucks - I mean, I have Safari, but when all your bookmarks and passwords and etc are in Firefox and you're used to a browser, you really don't want to switch if you don't have to. Firefox 3 has some great new features, too. I really like the improvements to bookmarks.

I assume that you've got the latest version of Firefox...so all I can suggest is asking Mozilla about it. *shrug*

12. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Ok, this is how I fixed the error. Uninstalled Firefox 3 and rebooted. Cleaned out my Mozilla folders so no traces would be left. Cleaned the registry of any entries of Firefox. Stopped my anti-virus from running at startup. Rebooted. Reinstalled Firefox. No errors since. Don't know what the combination was that fixed it. I just went through about 35 forum postings and saw what others were doing and mimicked those solutions.