Strange Hotmail error

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Not the guy, May 27, 2011.

1. Not the guy

Not the guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not sure if this goes in general but so be it. For some odd reason, a PW I have been using for years and years for my Hotmail account decided to go belly-up, with Microsoft basically forcing me to change it. I've since done so but the whole thing left me scratching my head and wondering if that's happened to anybody here.

2. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well first off, are you sure that it was Hotmail & not a scammer trying to get you pass? Also, how long have you been away from that account?

3. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This is kinda vague......but I have a few questions though. Did this "forcing" of you changing the password come when you tried to login? Or....did you get what seems like an e-mail from your e-mail provider asking you to provide account info? If its the latter, then I would change the password again for security reasons......if its the first, then I don't know. I've never used hotmail.

4. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well for me, I've had accounts become inactive after a certain amount of time & essentially go into status lock. Then when I tried to revive them, I needed to answer a question & provide a new pass, pretty much doing a reset. I might also have needed to confirm from the other e-mail that was listed as an alternate, which is why I no longer have my illusion_of_tranquility@hotmail.com addy (given that my older one got hacked by a "friend").

5. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hmmm....well I do know e-mail accounts go inactive.....I've had a yahoo account do that a few years back, but my password remained the same. I don't recall having to reset the password to reactivate it though.....

6. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    If it happened yesterday, it happened to a lot of people. Happened to me. Passwords expire.

7. Not the guy

Not the guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My apologies for not putting specifics, should have remembered that. It started when I tried to check my mail through my iPhone. It didn't work through the native mail app so I went on Safari and did it manually and it said I couldn't access it on there either till I changed the PW, but it looks like since it happened to Chrono too that it wasn't just me. And I use that account daily.

8. Fuzz

Fuzz Garbage Pail Kid

You must be configuring Hotmail wrong on your phone because I get my Hotmail emails just fine on my iPhone.

9. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

My recommendation would be to change your password again for extra security and then quit using Hotmail. I used to have it and it sucks. Gmail is far superior and unlike Hotmail they don't take the servers down for a whole week at a time without notice. I had this happen several times when I was using them and it infuriated me to no end. So glad I got rid of it.