Strange computer issue...

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Spoiler, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    So..I loaded up Steam, and went to games and tried to start Garrys Mod. The screen actually froze when it tried to go to the game and wouldn't respond, so I used the hard boot with the power button. After which it turned it back on, and the screen stayed black and didn't load. So, I manually shut of the power and turned it back on.

Everything loaded fine there. And tried to start up Garrys Mod again and walked away. I came back to my computer to find it restarting itself. After which I determined, maybe it is just the game. So I tried CS:S and worked fine, and than Garrys Mod, which worked fine again. Fast forward, I exit Steam and close that down.

From which I try and open Internet explorer...and it decides to restart itself again. After it failed to restart from a freeze. I followed the procedure of using the hard boot with the power button. And this time, the normal black screen with white text pops up and everything looks screwy, with no response from the power button. So, again, manually kill the power and restart. In which it prompts me this time about a failed restart and I use the option of something along the lines of "before error setting" or something like that. Got the comp to start back up DLed new video drivers, figured maybe that was in the unlikey situation, in which there were new drivers. From there I did a virus scan. Virus scan came up clean, all microsoft stuff is up to date as well as McAfee.

ATM, I had no problem starting comp up after shutting down about an hour ago, and getting on internet. Haven't tried Steam again yet. But, curious to this makes any sense to someone. I know, quite a screwy situation.

2. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    No ideas? Damn...

I did manage to try Steam again and loading the games. Had no problem this time around. Still strange. Could it of possibly been the not up to date drivers for the video card, that caused the initial freeze, than the hard boots caused it to try automatically restarting to correct itself?

I don't believe it is Conflicker because of being able to still do the updates and getting to the microsoft update site.

3. Nutcrusher

Nutcrusher Decepticon

News Credits:
    I have no idea. Although Steam doesn't work on my computer for some reason, so I can't say much either. It stops at 99% every time while installing a Steam-powered game.

4. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Anything in Event Viewer?
    XP> Go to Start>Run>Type eventvwr

In Vista just type eventvwr in the Search field.

Look for red or yellow flags in System and Applications.

5. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    Run that even 24 hours after the fact?

6. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    steampowered forums will more likely than not be of more help.

Same goes for nutcrusher, usually when a download freezes I hit "pause downloading" then "resume" and it eventually gets the job done, just depends on which game it is.
    That, or if you're trying to install M-Rated games to an account that's not "17" yet, you won't be able to launch the game.

7. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    Naw, I'm 25..so there's no problem there. Plus all the games were installed months ago so... I'm really leading to the initial freeze being a video card driver problem. Doing the hard boots didn't help it lol!

I did the eventvwr and really wasn't any problems that popped up. An error X every few days but...nothing that stood out. Securty one came up clean.