Strafe and Smokescreen: traitors to the Autobot cause?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Basketball Jones, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

Both of these Autobots were reclassified as Decepticons in G2.

It is noteworthy that both of them have personalities conductive to becoming a Decepticon, such as Strafe's uncontrollable violent tendencies and Smokescreen's usage of deceit.

Could these individuals simply share a name with the Autobots in question, or are they traitors?

2. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

Interesting. I had never thought of it. Strafe I could kinda see, but Smokescreen? Not so much.

3. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Strafe was an Autobot in G2. He was one of the Autobot Cyberjets along with Jetfire and Air Raid.

4. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

TFU.info states that he is a Decepticon.

5. cleazer

cleazer Lost in the lights

News Credits:
  6. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Well, Strafe's covered.

As for Smokescreen, I always think of Smokescreen / Dreadwing as actually just being the upgraded forms of Darkwing / Dreadwind. It just makes more sense to me that way ('Con combining jet to 'Con combining jet rather than 'Bot car to 'Con combining jet). Also, it's actually kinda stated in the G2 comics, which are my personal favorite source of canon.

7. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    It's a Smokescreen and i rever to him as Smokejumper.

8. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Well I just would'nt peg them for decepticons immediately alot of autobots get decepticon conditions in their bios. Mirage and gears for example.

mirage-On Cybertron, he was one of the planet’s elite upper class, preferring to spend his days hunting turbo-foxes instead of involving himself in conflict. When that became unavoidable, Mirage enlisted with the Autobot forces, although he is often unsure about his motivations for doing so, which leaves his fellow Autobots finding it hard to trust him – a problem not helped by the fact that Mirage can rarely hide that he is often unwilling to fight directly, or his contempt for the “commoners” he is now forced to interact with. He has no lost love for Earth, and would happily return to his old life on Cybertron if he could.

gears-"The only thing Gears wants to learn about this planet is how to get off it. I hate this place already. I just know you're going to use me as a mobile transport unit again, once we have to set up. Nuts, let's go home." - Gears in Marvel Transformers #1

I suppose smokescreen has that compulsive gambling problem. But he's really a good guy.

9. Op_Prime

Op_Prime One With The Matrix TFW2005 Supporter

As stated before, Smokescreen was referred to as Darkwing in the G2 comics, He and Dreadwing requiring upgrades after being blown to bits by Megatron. Since the comics were also a favourite of mine, I too like to refer to him as Darkwing.

In the TF universe, most names ain't worth much anyway as they are constantly recycled for new and different characters, so the G2 Smokescreen may not be related in any way to G1 Smokescreen at all. If you want of course, you can come up with some backstory to explain the reuse of the name. For example, you can borrow a page from the UK comics, where the Dinobot Swoop was once called Divebomb, but the Predacon who-would-be-called-Divebomb, defeated him and to humiliate him further, stole his name. You can always explain it away with a similar story involving the 2 Smokescreens.

I remember some time back that there was this fan-comic done by a Japanese fan that made its rounds around the internet which was done to bridge G1 and G2. In the comic, G1 Smokescreen was captured by the Decepticons, and when he reappered later in the G2 form, he had been brainwashed to serve in the Decepticon army.

10. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

"I am the cyberjet that flaps in the night!"

11. DJ Soundwave

DJ Soundwave Action Figure Master

the G2 figures with tose names are different characters anyway.....so they can't be traitor........ G2 is an entirely different continuity in a way.

12. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

:lol 

I am the scratch on your new paint job!
    I am Darkwing Decepticon!

13. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Did the OP ever come back to reference the 'Con Strafe he was talking about? I couldn't find it anywhere, on TFU or otherwise, but I'm curious.

EDIT: N/m, I totally missed it. The Cyberjet was originally a 'Con, apparently. Switched sides with Air Raid and Jetfire, so actually it looks like he was a traitor to the 'Con cause. Ooooo....

Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
  14. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    I just loved dreadwing/smokescreen, they're the responsibles for me being the TF fan I am now.

15. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

I <3 you

You win the intranets

16. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    man you guys watch too much disney.

but nah, i always think of those instances like, you meet other ppl with similar name to yours. its like that. like theres a buncha steves up in here, and prolly like million wangs in china.

17. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:

:puke: 

18. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't consider G2 Smokescreen to be the same character as G1 Smokescreen. He is a completely different character that shares the same name. It's just like Armada Smokescreen. I don't see him as the same character either. Over in Japan, Armada Smokescreen was called Grap, which would've translated to Grapple here in the US if it wasn't for copyright issues. So, Hasbro just assigned the name Smokescreen to him here.

To me, Smokescreen is and always will be an Autobot race car. Not a jet and not a construction crane. :) 

19. Knightsword

Knightsword Fire in the North TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Well the Dreadwing toy's instructions did mislabeled the pair as Autobots, so maybe at some point the toy was going to be an Autobot, but then changed it to a Decepticon and hence the origin of the Smokescreen name.