Storyline mistake - DOTM

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by hound88, Jul 8, 2011.

1. hound88

hound88 Well-Known Member

Megatron says Sentinel was defecting and going to meet him on Earth to team up. But, Sentinel's ship was shot and crashed on moon in 1959(?) or 1960s.

How could he be wanting to meet Megatron who has been under ice in Sam's grandfather's time??????

2. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    MICHAELBAYSPLOSIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!!!!!!

There's you answer :D 

3. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Reborn Comics Fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He was shot down 12,000 years ago and he crashed landed on the moon in 1961. He gave Megatron the Allsparks location and they susposed to meet up and use the Space Bridge to transport Cybertron to where the Allspark was. Megatron went ahead and crash landed in the Artic. Sentinel was shot down by Starscream and his ship used a Space Bridge to transport himself to the Allspark, but he crashed on the moon.

4. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sentinel and Megatron made their deal on Cybertron to find a world that suited their purposes, and decided on the planet where the Primes' lost star harvester rested, as it could provide plentiful energy. Sentinel set off, but the Ark was attacked before he got away. It appeared to explode, but was actually teleported away through space and time by the space bridge on board.

The AllSpark was launched from Cybertron, and homed in on the Star Harvester, arriving on Earth. Megatron followed, and crashed in the Artic.

The Ark's sensors locked on to the AllSpark and its space bridge deposited it near Earth, where it then crashed on the moon.

It's all in the comics.

(The simplified answer, of course, is that just because the film jumped from Sentinel's ship being shot to it crashing in 1961 doesn't mean that it was SHOT in 1961. It had a whole galaxy to get across.)

5. Fitch

Fitch Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think they picked Earth because of us, to enslave us.

6. rodster6

rodster6 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    How come Patrick Dempsey can activate the Space bridge? I thought only Sentinal could do that. I thought the whole point of the Decepticons convoluted, elaborate plan was because only Sentinal could activate it.

Wouldn't it be easier to use the space bridge to teleport the Allspark to Cybertron rather than vice versa? It would be like me moving my house to the shop rather than bringing the shopping to my house. Or was their original plan to teleport the allspark but once that was destroyed they decided to bring Cybertron here?

7. 9.8m/s^2

9.8m/s^2 What's in a name?

Yeah, I kind of wondered why Sentinel didn't just take the Matrix when Prime offered it to him. Would have been much, much easier.

I think anyone can turn on part of machine once it's set up and started up, rather like how anyone in the car can turn on the radio once the owner has used the key to start it up.

8. Chris McFeely

News Credits:
    I took it that he wasn't so much "activating" it as he was giving it a whack to get it going again. Like a flickering light. :) 

Despite what a bunch of fan theories flying around are saying, the official prequels have shown that Sentinel left Cybertron before the idea of launching the AllSpark into space was conceived. It's not what Sentinel left to go after.

9. rodster6

Ebay:
    But that space bridge part in the city that Dempsey activated was the main part that turned the whole thing on wasn't it?

What did Sentinal leave Cyberton looking for? Did he travel through time then to end up in the 60s? I haven't read the comics so wondered if this was all explained.

10. Megabattimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes, but it wasn't off. He just smacked it and it started working again.

11. Chris McFeely

News Credits:
    He went looking a planet they could use for resources, like they say in the film. See my post a bit further up for the details.

12. rodster6

Ebay:
    Ahhhh ok. So did the Autobots or Cons attack the ark? I guess Megatron didn't tell the other Decepticons of his plan so they attacked the ship or did some Autobots learn of the plan and try to stop it?

13. Megabattimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think it says Starscream attacked the Ark in the comic adaptation. As for why SS attacked the Ark, I think he didn't know about the deal.

14. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    I don't get the "real-time" assumptions being made - sometimes you have to assume time has passed between scenes.

15. Chris McFeely

News Credits:
    Both the novel and the comic have Starscream being responsible for the attack, so it seems likely that was supposed to be in the movie script at some point. The comic adaptation itself makes it clear Starscream didn't know about Sentinel and Megatron's deal - in the prequel, Megatron even tries to stop him from attacking the Ark, but can't because he's busying fighting Optimus.

16. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

I also assumed that since the Ark's engines were damaged, it took the ship a much longer time to get there, as it was drifting through space.

Of course, I'm completely ignoring the comics and novels here, and just going off of the movie, where you never see the Ark use the space bridge.

It's not so much of a mistake as it is that the novel/comics are different from the movie.

17. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

You mean the prequel comics that contradict each other and the films?

Comic writers are not even considered by film writers in making the script.

18. Chris McFeely

News Credits:
    And yet, they remain infinitely more valid as a source of answers to these questions than fan-theories.

(And the DOTM comics were very well-written, thoughtful ones which actively dedicated themselves to reconciling any potentially contradictory story points from DOTM with both the earlier films and comics. The DOTM prequel comics *don't* contradict each other or the films.)

19. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

And they somehow trump Hasbro which owns the franchise.

[​IMG]

On screen Megatron and Sentinel were to meet on Earth. What is so important about this mudball?

Oh the Allspark crashed on Earth.

Its not as complicated as comics play it out to be. Comics go for a concise story. Within a short time span. The war in the movie is presented as a protracted war. The Allspark launch and the Ark's official mission were last desperate attempts when the Autobots were loosing.

20. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    This has been covered already, but it made me think of another point. From what I read, many seem to think the Cons were going to transport the humans to Cybertron through the space bridge to work on fixing Cybertron. But what I got from the movie was the plan was to bring resources from Cybertron to Earth, and the humans were going to be enslaved to turn Earth into a new Cybertron...