Story reason for why only Grimlock can talk?

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by Hiraga, May 20, 2008.

1. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    Came up with this a few days ago. We all know that Snarl and Swoop have yet to talk, and probably never will. Well here's a possible reason!

Megatron created the Dinobots right? Why, because he wanted a new body. So he created GRIMLOCK specifically to be his new body, while Swoop and Snarl were probably meant to be just more minions. So if Megatron wanted Grimlock, wouldn't it be easier if he gave a voice chip to Grimlock only so he could talk when on his (Grimlock's) body?

This could explain why Snarl and Swoop don't talk. Megatron wants powerful, loyal servants. He doesn't want complete idiots running around. But he also doesn't want them to become so smart, that they will try to takeover like Starscream. So he built them with LIMITED intelligence, so that they could become fiercly loyal, but only smart enough to do what their leader says (which is why they listen to Grimlock now). Megatron might have not wanted them talking because...well, you know how annoying Lugnut is to Megatron.

'But Hiraga, Grimlock could talk just fine in the lab, why would he put a voice chip in Grimlock if he could already talk?'

Explain to me, do you really know HOW Megatron planned on going on to Grimlock? Have Grimlock take off his head and put on Megatron's? Please, Grimlock ain't bright, but he knows better then to decapitate himself.

Thoughts?

2. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actualy it's because they didn't want to waste voice acting budget with two guys that would basically repeart whatever Grimlock said, but your explanation is fine too.

3. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

I dunno... Megatron said he was going to use the Dinobots as prototypes for an army of attack drones given he felt Earth's technology was to primitive to use for his own body and he needed to see what he had to work with. It wasn't until Soundwave he said anything about using for his own new body once Sari's key had upgraded it to it's final form.

Going along with you're theory though... I can see maybe Megatron making Grimlock a little more advanced than the other two to act as a squad leader, to relay orders and such.

4. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

Yeah, I thought that too, Hiraga. Added on to the limited intelligence, maybe Grimlock was never meant to speak at all. It could just be a coincidental fluke he got the ability to speak, much less be able to transform into robot form.

5. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Has Swoop or Snarl ever had an on-screen reason to talk?

It is not like someone has directed conversation towards them with no response which would show the inability to speak.

I bet they will talk one day when the plot calls for it. Right now, they are little more than Grimlock's goons that don't need to say anything.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    He would've, probably. Especially since he didn't become a free-thinking being until AFTER the Allspark-energized EMP blasted sparks into them. (something Megatron never counted on)

that's how they got life and free-will. They were only supposed to be drones, remember?

7. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Actually it would be hilarious if in a later episode they say something to swoop and his response is extremely intelligent. Then when asked why he didn't talk till then say he's either scared of grimlock or he didn't think the autobots were worth talking to.

8. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    I think Bill Fagerbanke can do Snarl while Tom Kenny can pull off a good Swoop.

9. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter. Each indvidual voice they do is a seperate payday for the actor.

10. Caine

Caine Rise up to the glory!!

News Credits:
    This part made me chuckle. :D 

11. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    snarlag and swoop are doing that silent bob thing.

12. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

Snarlag, KA? ROFL

Since the voices really reflect their appearence/personality, Snarl would have to have to sound a bit clumsy and Swoop would have to sound intelligent like Tekkaman Blade mentioned.

My opinion stays at the fact that Grimlock can speak and that all three Dinobots can transform is just something that just happened.

13. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I'm a bit bummed that they havent spoken.

That bit in Megatron rising (part 1) when Prowl tries to reason with Grimlock.
    He says something about friends. Then Grimlock looks over at Swoop whilst saying 'Friend?'

I thought Swoop was going to say something, but nope, he just stood there silently.

14. jazz4ever

jazz4ever I'm turned on by numbers

i think it is a pretty good theory but like other people said they were going to be drones

15. Soundwave1

Soundwave1 Soundwave Fan

I think Swoop and Snarl can talk but they have not had a reason to and because they could be somewhat afraid of interupting Grimlock

16. Somebody

Somebody ReBoot

News Credits:
    Remember the Dinobots' reaction to "But YOU'RE robots" in Megs Rising I?

NOT the reaction of intelligence...

17. sixshot2K

sixshot2K Soundwave is #1!

I bet its because they dont have enought for more voice acters

18. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    I was thinking his response would be more like "I didn't have anything to say."

In all fairness to Swoop, he could have just been defending himself against the other two.