Stormbringer!?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Allsparky, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Allsparky

Allsparky Denied

Was at the local comic shop this evening and picked up the latest Ongoing and Drift and also ended up grabbing a graphic novel called Stormbringer. Guess I need to do some research but it looked pretty neat. Skimming through it I saw Technobots getting waxed, Bludgeon, and some other cool stuff. After G1 comics as a kid, I pretty much fell out of the loop 'til the new Ongoing. (Yep comic noob). Anyway, I'm assuming that it maybe bridges the gap between AHM, which I was turned onto this year and am trying to currently complete, and whatever was before that. Like I said, obviously need to do some more research but am I even close in my thinking? Was this ever a series of its own? Any fellow brothers or sisters out there familiar with this and did you like it?

2. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It took place towards the beginning og IDW's run, during Infiltration. Numbering on the individual issues paces the reading order between Infiltration and Escalation, so it came well before All Hail Megatron.

More info can be found here:
    http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Stormbringer

3. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

Yeah, before IDW decided to make Transformers an Ongoing, they were releasing the story as sub-titled story arcs, but they were all part of IDW's G1 continuity. Stormbringer was the second story arc released.

Besides the link Rodimus Major posted, you might want to also check out the IDW G1 continuity page.
    IDW Generation 1 continuity - Transformers Wiki

4. Allsparky

Allsparky Denied

Gosh, just looked at your links and apparently I have much catching up to do! Thanks guys for the info. Now I have a really good heads up and look forward to the "hunt" for all these backissues.

5. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  6. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    stormbringer is awesome, only transformer comic TPB i have ever gotten ahold of (besides some g1 comics we got nothing in this area), it is the reason, along with the marvel character, that i am looking forward to the new thunderwing toy

7. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Stormbringer is a very good read.
    Don Figueroa made some incredible redesigns to the Transformers to show their non-Earth related modes.
    They are at once completely new and familiar.

If you want to read all of the old IDW stories then that is a worthwhile pursuit, but I do want to give you a warning.
    The IDW stories sort of ‘reset ‘ with AHM (All Hail Megatron).
    There’s lots of discussion about this topic on this very board if you care to research it.

There have been some efforts by the creators and publisher to make the pre-AHM stories fit with the old, but I think it is fair to say that regardless of what continuity ‘fits’ many of the plot points of Stormbring, Infiltration, Escalation, etc are hastily resolved or completely forgotten once AHM comes around.
    For instance, if you’ve read Stormbringer you know that in the IDWverse Cybertron is completely uninhabitable by all life –including the Transformers.
    That detail is null and void in the first issue of AHM.

So, again, track the stories down.
    They’re fun and there’s some great artwork to be found.
    Just know that with AHM the series shifts gears and a lot of the things you might be waiting to have resolved are just forgotten.

8. Allsparky

Allsparky Denied

Ahhhh ok, thanks Smasher. Most definately looking forward to the research, gee feel like my inner child is zinging. I will take your suggestions into consideration and I'm glad that I'm "working backwards" after talking with you guys. Knowing what you've all told me along with what I know of the new stuff, maybe I'll better be able to make sense of it all...if that makes sense.

9. shunquan

shunquan ACID STORMER

News Credits:
    In my opinion, the 2 idw tf tpbs everybody must read are:

Stormbringer
    &
    Last stand of the wreckers

10. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I hope you enjoy it.