Stormbringer: Prime & Megatron Designs

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Incepticon, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Just wondering if anyone has some scans or links to images of the Stormbringer designs of Prime & Megatron. I'm holding out for the TPB edition so I haven't been able to see or read the individual comics yet and see full versions of them. From what I can tell, some (maybe all) the designs used in Stormbringer aren't actually the same as what were used in the War Within series, although they seem to bear some resemblance. They almost look like a hybrid of WW and G1 though the little pics I've seen online so far.

Anyway, if someone has a few images, it would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Taker

Taker Chilean TF Fan

3. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    why dont u just look up the official source, idw's preview pages?

4. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Thanks, Taker.

I have, and they don't really show anything, hence me requesting better image samples here.

Basically I'm just trying to see why Prime looks like a cross of WW with G1 (ie: WW chest & arms / G1 truck grill torso) and what he turns into in Stormbringer. Same thing with Meg's. From the one image I saw on IDW's site, he looks like a modified G1 style (arms & chest) but seems to have tracks on his back like a tank.

I imagine the comics explain the timeline and why they look the way they do?

5. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    for megs, you can actually see his alt mode in the infiltration series, since theyre the same design as stormbringer. yes, he's a tank.

for prime, no alt mode has been shown yet.

6. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Why do all the Infiltration covers/previews/etc. on IDW's website show Meg's drawn as his G1 form then? I'm not asking that to be a smart-ass either :)  I'm seriously wondering.

Did they change the robot & alt modes somewhere along the lines of that comic canon? From the first few issues I read of the Infiltration series, everyone still looked like their G1 forms - except worse than usual thanks to the bad artwork... which is the reason why I lost touch of what's happening with IDW in the first place.

7. Taker

Taker Chilean TF Fan

I don't see Inf Megs as Storm Megs. Yeah, both transform into a tank, but I think their designs are slightly different.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!!!

And in Infiltration's last number, we can see Prime with his earth body...just rather the same body he had on G1 :p 

8. AutobotEngineer

AutobotEngineer Highly Dubious

I kinda wish IDW Megs was classic Megs. He's a tank, he looks like a modern take on the original..I'd be psyched. It'd be that much cooler to have him go head to head with jetfire.

9. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Optimus Prime had a bad day in that pic..

10. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Okay, I've read this a dozen times and still cannot understand what you're saying. Care to re-type it so that it makes sense, please.

11. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Okay, but again I ask, why do all the pics of Megatron from Infiltration on IDW's website look like his G1 form (ie: he obviously turns into a gun) and nothing like a design that turns into a tank?

12. Greenspan

Greenspan Monetary Maestro

News Credits:
    I think the reason why WW Megs is different than Stormbreaker Megs is basically because, imo, neither Don or Hasbro likes the WW Megs.

Remember, back in the pre-prod days of WW, Don designed 100% of WW Prime, while WW Megs was roughly sketched by Pat Lee, then refined by Don. I think it was a case of : "Pat to Don : You do Prime, I do Megs." The whole TFs cast was designed by Don, that's why WW Megs looks slightly different. Don't get me wrong, WW Megs ain't that bad, but you can definitely see Don's voodoo being "restricted" by Pat's input.

Since Pat really did design the general look of WW Megs, maybe there is some legal issue going on, hence Titanium Megs being what it is : a new "thing" that came out of the blue instead of WW Megs. In most cases big corporations will go the safe route when in doubt. We know there is still many legal issues that are still pending so it is probable that Hasbro simply said : "Meh, to hell with it, let's do something new for now instead of wasting money on legal fees to find out if we can fully use WW Megs design"

I think the Stormbreaker Megs is better than WW Megs design wise. Plus Don said at Botcon http://tformers.com/BotCon-2006-Simon-Furman-Creating-History-QA/6591/news.html that a brand new WW Megs would eventually appear in toy form, so it is entirely possible that it will appear in comic form first.

In the end I think Hasbro and Don look at WW Megs with a sour taste in their mouth, you add probable legal issues and there you have it.

I concede I may be entirely wrong.

Greenspan

13. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Thanks for the rundown Greenspan... but just a few comments:

I don't believe there are any legal issues at all pertaining to any of the character art conceptualized and/or published by Dreamwave since at the end of the day, Hasbro still owns all the rights over TF and any character under that moniker. That said, I don't think it makes any difference at all whether or not Don or Pat came up with something when it comes to Hasbro choosing to use it. Meaning, I don't think it makes any difference that just because Don came up with WW Prime and now works for Hasbro, that it was easier to pursue that design as a toy as opposed to taking a Pat Lee design and doing the same thing.

In regards to your WW Megatron theory, while it does make sense, I don't think it necessarily holds true since we saw the Botcon pics of the finished Titanium design, and it's dead-on accurate to the comic version from top to bottom.

[​IMG]

Back to the main Stormbringer topic, it appears that Prime has many WW design characteristics melded with some G1 characteristics. As I pointed, the WW chest now combined with what looks like a G1 styled torso. And Megatron is now obviously some sort of tank. Even Jetfire looks different. So does that mean these are new updated G1-ish designs, revised WW designs, or something that falls inbetween? It just seems weird that Meg's is now an Earth tank while Prime still looks like a Cybertronian vehicle (at least in the Bot form pics I've seen).

14. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    FYI inception, the pics of megatron that looks like he transform into a gun youve been seeing are just for promo/cover art.

for you comic noobs, its not unusual to have covers that have entirely nothing to do with the content. yeesh.

15. thor20

thor20 Omnibot

Completely Differnet designs. You can see alot of G1 in Stormbringer were WW had very little. The legs and waist are completely G1 in Stormbringer and the chest is Different. WW Prime head and colors were the only things that were Prime like. WW and SB Primes do look alike but they are completely different designs. I have pics but don't know how to set them up.

16. fourth_heir

fourth_heir Well-Known Member

The tank body seen in the pages of Stormbringer and Infiltration is Megatron's Cybertronian appearance (he's only just arrived on Earth in Infiltration). Preview pics of Escalation show that he has altered his appearance to the gun design seen on E J Su's cover for Infiltration #5.

17. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

Ebay:
    Hmm, preview pics of Escalation? Are these online anywhere? I must have blinked and missed them!

18. fourth_heir

fourth_heir Well-Known Member

19. AutobotEngineer

AutobotEngineer Highly Dubious

20. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    Actually, my friend and I have commented a whole lot on this for some time now, and this is the consensus we have come to:

Compare Prime and Megs to their Rolling Thunder and Dominator forms. There are some very integral design differences, like Megs being a tank instead of a helicopter, but the massive similarities are there.