Stormbringer 4

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Chrono Grimlock, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Loved the art, but I was a little let down by the ending. Of course I knew what was going to happen; but it still felt a little light. "Set a course for Earth". meh. Loved most everything else though and it totally has me geared up for the Escalation Arc... until I read the preview and remembered why I stopped reading the previous arc. Anyway, seeing the Wreckers and Predacons in action was worth it alone.

EDIT Oh, picked up the Nightbeat Special. Please, IDW, please, fire that artist. Can anyone explain to me why in half the book Nightbeat had the "horns/smokestack" sides on his head, then he transformed and they disappeared?

2. wolfnfox

wolfnfox Well-Known Member

The ending for this arc felt rushed (thankfully not as rushed as Hearts of Steel was) so things are improving.

I have to agree with the artwork in Spotlight: Nightbeat as well, very poor and lacks continuity throughout the book in terms of robot design.

3. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    So did they destroy Cybertron or what?

4. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    spoilers please. pleeeeeeease.

5. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The cover to Stormbringer #4 is absolutely amazing with the black and white Prime. As much as I hated the redesigning of the TFs in the Infiltration book, I'm kind of bummed about seeing Prime change from his Stormbringer appearance to the normal G1 look, he looks awesome in Stormbringer, but oh well.
    What the hell is going on in Nightbeat? My three year old daughter can draw better than that! If that's the skill level in drawing that is required to be a comic book artist, then I'm going to quit me stupid grocery store job to draw comics.

6. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    quickly put,

*spoilers*

the Preds and Wreckers both get some action againt Thunderwing, who then Transforms into a second "Ultra" mode, and starts slamming the shit out of everyone. Prime gets pissed, takes down Thunderwing with some assistance with the Preds left on the ship and Wing goes down, thanks to pretty much a really, really pissed off Prime. It ends with Prime on the ship going to Earth ala Infiltration.

As for Nightbeat? Uhh... he finds a dead robot... and like, investigates it... kinda, well, the story says he is, but the art tells me he's melting and poorly drawn in each panel. Then he's... kidnapped? And inplanted with... cerebral magic? Then it ends with Prime telling him he "needs" his special skills. Whatever, shit book.

7. Lord Shockwave

Lord Shockwave Well-Known Member

Those who liked this issue should never complain about the Sunstorm Saga again.

I hate to say it, but though it was a decent comic, the ending fell flat for me, as I found it anticlimatic. Granted, with three excellent issues, it's harder to deliver. But it could have ended stronger.

There are several sources of my disappointment. Storywise, I would have hoped for a more clever ending than what we get. What do we get? We get an ending that doesn't quite make a lot of sense.

For example, Thunderwing withstood the entire Autobot and Decepticon forces in the past, including the likes of Prime, Megatron, Omega Supreme, Trypticon, etc. and still could not be stopped. But this time around, Thunderwing falls to the combined might of the Wreckars, some Decepticons, some Centurions, and Prime with a gun at really, really, really close range. Didn't see that one coming.

(Note to self. If I ever face an uberpowerful planet destorying menace, just stand really, really, really close when firing my gun.)

And Cybertron suddenly loses its unstable, caustic enviroment in this issue because every bot and their grandmother arrives on the planet to have a nice long slugfest.

Sigh. It's not as bad as I'm making it out to be, it just doesn't stack up to the first three issues by any stretch. The ending, as in the first two War Within series, doesn't end with the bang it really should.

I even found the art weaker in this issue. The coloring was overly dark, and some of the panels were overly cluttered.

Given the potential this sucker had, it kind of leaves me with an empty feeling. I enjoy a slugfest now and again, but that is not necessarily the best way to end every epic story.

I give this issue a "C+". The series gets a "B+", exciting stuff but not quite up to par with the Sunstorm Saga, IMO. So much is at stake with that concluding issue.

But Simon, I do apologize for the "washed up" comment anyway. You have shown me, despite this issue, that you can still tell a story.

8. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This issue was pretty cool. The art and coloring was out of this world! I enjoyed the Wrecker's dialogue and how they would laugh in the face of Thunderwing. Loved the Predacons Cybertronian modes. I wish Megatron was more prominent in this issue. Also judging by what happens to him in this issue, it's pretty evident that even Simon Furman thinks that Twin Twist sucks.

9. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    lord shockwave,

hmm. this leads me to the conclusion that furman rules at building up stories, but sucks at doing endings.

for the record, i enjoyed braddonough's sunstorm saga from start to finish, but then again, furman has achieved greater heights.

10. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    This just proves that I need to write the endings! I would have had some Transformers go missing, get left behind/lost, anything other than "bad guy loses yay to Earth!".

The thing with a comic is trying to do two things:

1) Tell the story of various characters
    2) Tell the story of the Transformers as a whole

If you focus on 1, you lose sight of 2, and vica virca. I know everything has to get Hasbro approved but hey, if they're killing off various GI Joe characters in Devil's Due, why can't we kill off some Transformers to make things feel realistic?

11. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    Overall, I enjoyed the series, but yah the ending reminded felt incomplete in a way. Perhaps, Optimus lecturing Thunderwing, while blowing him up seemed funky. Then again, I love the little hints of things to come and the continuity aspect of the story.

I dunno, from the preview of Escalation + the events of Stormbringer + Micromasters in the Nightbeat special...can't we have effective TF operatives on Earth with micromaster tfs using pretender tech?

12. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

My only real problem is that Prime had to be hero of the day, doing as Lord Shockwave pointed out, what almost the entrie TF race could not. But hey, that's okay 'cause P!me is teh bad@$$.

13. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

14. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So, according to the Escalation Shockwave and Soundwave are going to make an appearance at some point. Hopefully this means the Dinobots will again too.

15. Lord Shockwave

Lord Shockwave Well-Known Member

Sadly, he has fit this mold for the past few miniseries. His buildup is strong, but that final issues sucks the wind out of the sails.

It's just that, after ravaging an entire world, then returning back to Cybertron and bringing destruction there, Thunderwing suddenly runs out of gas?

In Hearts of Steel, Decepticons fall down, go boom. The End.

In Stormbringer, Decepticon stalls, runs out of gas. The End.

What's next, slipping on a banana?

16. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Furman didn't write Hearst of Steel it was chuck Dixion, I think IDw needs to make the miniseries longer so the writers can pace them better. 5 issues at least 6 would be better

17. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Spotlight issues to me, have felt like quick write ups just to put something together real quick for people to buy for an extra dollar. Anyone could write them. Everything else has been good but with quickly rushed endings like other people have said.

18. Octane

Octane Soul Crusher

Especially ones, that will never be made as figures again.

19. TerraDestroyer

TerraDestroyer "Sometimes crazy works."

News Credits:
    My God...this series, and Don's art, makes me yearn for a Thunderwing toy!
    Jet mode, robot mode, and ultra mode?! It just has the makings of an awesome toy...perhaps we can petition Hasbro for a line of toys based totally off of comic characters?

20. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

This was explained earlier to Prime by Jetfire as a side-effect of Thunderwing being re-powered-up by Ultra Energon -- which is unstable, and burns out when drawn upon too heavily, for too long.

Which, of course, begs the question: what was Thunderwing powered by BEFORE?

Yeah, that was kind of weak. I mean, it IS mentioned offhand once or twice, but not really SHOWN to have much of an effect.

Semi-interesting buildup, thrown out the window for the ending. Not as bad as Hearts of Steel (TRAIN FALL DOWN GO BOOM), but still really weak sauce.

-XCN-