Stormbringer #2

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Foster, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Got at lunch today and I liked it a lot. I don't have it in front of me right now, but really liked Thunderwing's jet mode and seeing who was on Nebulos. The Wrecker's starcruiser is completely awesome.

Other thoughts?

2. Zzeezz

Zzeezz Ambassador of Music TFW2005 Supporter

I thought Bludgeon's redesign was a great way to give him that skull look.

It was a good read, but I wish that someone would just come out and say exactly what Thunderwing did. Why do I get the feeling that it won't be until issue 6 that we know what happened, and then it will just lead to more questions?

3. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

better then the first issue, but i still didnt like it.

4. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    This is going to be a four issue series. I think the reveal of what happened will be next issue, and the resolution of the current crisis will be the plot of #4.

5. JoshBot

JoshBot Well-Known Member

Great art, but nothing much really happens. Again. At this rate, issue four will quite possibly be the most rushed ending in the history of comicdom.

6. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I'm looking at the soundwave design on the back of stormbringer #2 since stormbringer Jetfire is classics Jetfire would that soundwave be classics soundwave?

7. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Thunderwing's jet mode looks a heckuva lot like Energon Galvatron..

Anyways, better than the first. I'm still not digging the "Oh NOES WE DESTROYEDED THE PLANET!" crud, but otherwise it seems pretty good. It does seem like two completely different writers tackled this and Infiltration...

8. Outtsyder

Outtsyder Well-Known Member

I've only just submitted a copy of my review to the Articles section, which is pending approval. Whether or not it'll be front-paged, I don't know; but I think I'll post it in this thread, too:

Review of TF: Stormbringer #2 (with Spoiler Space)

This next issue doesn’t just pop out of the chute; it rockets right out of it. Ah, but to avoid ruining any surprises in the first part of this review… Spoiler Space time!

I

t

s

A

l

i

v

e

!

I

t

s

A

l

i

v

e

!

!

!

(cues up pipe-organ rendition of “Toccata in D-Minor” by Johann Sebastian Bach)

COVER:

Two main covers and one incentive are available, all wraparounds. Cover A is another part of the Stormbringer battle scene, showing Optimus Prime and Megatron near the center of a huge bright eruption, with various other Transformers surrounding them, including Omega Supreme and Trypticon. Cover B’s wraparound is spilt half-and-half, with the front cover in black and white, and the back cover in color; the full wraparound shows Thunderwing, with fire and explosions behind him. The retail incentive is a black-&-white version of Cover A.

INSIDE COVER DETAILS:

In the center is the familiar black-&-red silhouette-style look at Cybertron used for past preview teasers for “Stormbringer”. Top of the page gives the “story so far” blurb from last issue, with Jetfire and the Technobots investigating an ancient threat that’s about to rise once again from Cybertron’s dying husk. Credits are on the bottom of the page, with Simon Furman as the writer, Don Figueroa on art, Josh Burcham on colors inside the book, Robbie Robbins doing the lettering, Chris Ryall and Dan Taylor as Editors, and Rob Ruffalo on colors for Cover B.

THE STORY:

We open with a look at the distant planet Nebulos in its relative peaceful serenity, while reading the off-page internal monologue from Optimus Prime, still reminiscing about the ancient threat in the past. The next page, we return to Cybertron, where the captured Jetfire is arguing with a heavily-damaged Bludgeon over the Decepticon’s plan to revive the frozen, deactivated Pretender-shelled body of Thunderwing. While Jetfire argues Thunderwing was driven mad because of his old plan, Bludgeon feels confident that he can direct the old body as a weapon to enact a “mass sacrifice” of various planets that will restore Cybertron’s “spirit”, while using Thunderwing’s “grafting process” (as Jetfire called it) and exploiting more materials from the bodies of the three captured Technobots, Scattershot, Lightspeed and Strafe.

Elsewhere, as an Autobot Command Hub orbital station, Optimus Prime receives the bad news that the Technobot ship Calabi-Yau has been destroyed; a message buoy was launched, but the Autobots can’t contact any survivors. Optimus sends an order to the Wreckers – led by Springer, in the midst of a battle on the planet Varas Centralus – to return to Cybertron on an emergency.

We return to the debate between Jetfire and Bludgeon. Jetfire pleads for him not to re-awaken Thunderwing, saying the new body too powerful for anyone to control; in all likelihood, “it” will end up controlling the user. Bludgeon will have none of it, noting Thunderwing’s functions are “dead”, making it easy for him to control with a “copy” of his own personality. Bludgeon orders the awakening of “The Entity”, but Jetfire tries to stop the Decepticons from doing so. The Autobot is overwhelmed by Bludgeon’s Pretender Decepticons, short-circuited, and hauled off to be used for more raw materials.

The Wreckers, aboard the battlecruiser Xantium, are about to meet with Optimus Prime at Thunderhead Pass, and make one more comlink discussion about what to do about this new situation with “Thunderwing evidence” written all over it. After the discussion, Prime gets another flashback to the previous battle with this “entity”, where Megatron and Prime argue at Thunderhead Pass shortly after the Autobot-Decepticon Alliance defeated the creature. Megatron wanted it destroyed, but Optimus refused, feeling destroying the remainder of Cybertron and inhabitants wasn’t a justifiable price for the Entity’s destruction. Prime get a return to the present when young rookie Dogfight expresses his joy at working with Optimus on the mission, while Optimus isn’t sure if “excitement” would be the right sentiment for what’s about to come….

Elsewhere on Cybertron, Afterburner and Nosecone drag themselves to life after barely escaping the destruction of their ship, but they’re in bad shape. Badly damaged and exposed to the harmful radiation, they try to find shelter through the deadly elements and the rising Centurion drones, as a foreign aerospace craft rockets its way from Cybertron. We return to one last visit to Nebulos – where there is a hidden Decepticon Infiltration team, just like on Earth – where the peace is about to be disrupted, as that same aerospace craft arrives in the planet’s atmosphere and transforms… into Thunderwing’s Pretender mode!

To Be Continued….

COMMENTS:

Wow. Just an absolute WOW. And this is only the halfway mark of the mini-series. I really don’t know if I can make too many comments here that will sound too original, but “Stormbringer” had probably gotten me the most excited about reading a TF comic story since Dreamwave’s old G2 Vol. 2 “War & Peace” story. Rediscovering Thunderwing’s old body – and revealing him as “the entity” that the Autobot-Decepticon Alliance (I almost called them the BotCon Alliance) was fighting in the past – and now Bludgeon trying to use the Pretender-grafted body to revive Cybertron by sacrificing other planets with its power. I recall in a past interview that Simon Furman wasn’t crazy about the Pretender concept when it came to G1, but his attempts to re-work the Pretender technology for this story had worked quite well, without even calling them “Pretenders”. We saw the shell suits in action with additional stealth-like properties last issue; now we can wonder if Thunderwing’s body will display even more tricks when it goes off to explore – and destroy – the other worlds he’s visiting.

As for Bludgeon, the spiritual aspect of his personality shines through strongly. Instead of taking the same scientific approaches that Thunderwing, Jetfire, and other TF scientists did in analyzing Cybertron’s situation, Bludgeon instead has a hold over his Decepticon team like a cult leader (almost as if Thunderwing is their “savior” of a different kind, with Bludgeon as the “prophet”), and his plan for a “sacrifice” of other planets to revive Cybertron’s “spirit” has a fanatical air to him that makes him even more frightening mentally than his damaged body already looks. But perhaps he may be a little too overconfident over his plan to “guide” Thunderwing’s body, even though he sensed no life signs when uploading a portion of his own personality into the inactive hull. Odds are Thunderwing’s own dormant spark may still lay hidden somewhere in there….

The flashbacks to the previous battle with Thunderwing, and the immediate aftermath – like the meeting between Prime and Megatron – give some more flesh to the severity of what’s been going on while Cybertron’s been dying. Apparently, there’ve been some on both factions who’ve felt any evidence of Thunderwing being alive should be justification to put Cybertron out of its misery for good, so that another such disaster can never happen again. And seeing the Wreckers in action again was another fun scene; Optimus ordering their return to Earth felt somewhat comparable to Commissioner Gordon calling Batman, knowing how serious the incidents at Thunderhead Pass have gotten, as well as its significance. And the use of Nebulos was something of a surprise (except for a posted preview); not just the appearance of the planet itself, but the fact that the Decepticons had also planted a hidden Infiltration Unit there, just like Starscream’s team on Earth in the “mainline” comic series. This scene shows that the Decepticons have gotten even bigger, wider-reaching plans than what we’ve seen in previous TF stories that mostly focused on Cybertron and Earth.

Art-wise… Don and Josh pull it off again. A gruesome but great touch is the new design for Bludgeon’s body; though it looks very different from his original inner robot, the smashed-out jaw parallels brilliantly with his shell’s face being a skinless skull. Other great character looks are the Cybertronian bodies of the Wreckers (like the air vehicle modes for Sandstorm and Broadside) and updating the G1 UK Centurion body as armies of drones. And I want to know the inspiration behind the GREAT look of the battlecruiser Xantium. :cool:  One thing I’ve prominently noticed in this mini-series is the choice of characters appearing in the cast; very few of them are among the more well-known ’Bots and ’Cons from G1’s first two years. This is actually not a bad idea; while the more famous characters like Starscream, Jazz, Ratchet, Blitzwing, et al get their moments on Earth in the “main” series, this gives a chance for other lesser-known yet cult-favorite players like the pre-Targetmasters, Triggerbots, pre-Powermasters, and various other late-G1 characters to have their share of the visual glory.

After the end of this story, there are three ads; one for Alternators Optimus Prime, one for the forthcoming comic adaptation of the original animated TF movie, and the TPB of Infiltration. Following that is a preview of Generations #6, which reprints the classic Marvel G1 US issue “The Bridge To Nowhere” (Blaster vs. Straxus, and the debut of the space bridge). Like last issue, no letters section is present.

OVERALL:

In three words… keep it coming!

SCORE: 4.7 Matrixes out of 5

Outtsyder

9. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

Just read it myself.
    It is better then the first one. But I feel that it lacks something, but can't point out what it is. It is kinda weird to see Prime having flashbacks that almost throw him into a shell-shock.
    I will give it another chance and after the next issue, I'll decide if its worth it or not.

10. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    you'll go 3 out of the 4 issues to determine whether you'll decide its worth it to buy?

o___O

:p 

11. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

yikes... :confused2 

I didn't know it is a 4-issue story.
    My bad.
    :dunce 

12. Lord Shockwave

Lord Shockwave Well-Known Member

Simon......

TWO FOR TWO, BABY!

What can I say? Every once in a while, a legend of old graces us with some flashes of brilliance, and Simon does just that for the second time with this outstanding issue.

But before getting to the story, I have to commend Don and Josh on what I feel is, artistically, the best Transformers comic we have had in many a year. Don, your pencilling in this issue is gorgeous, and the coloring of Josh supplements it perfectly. I have not seen work this good since Don's Sunstorm issues for DW. If ever there was an example to follow for those artists who are inclined to tackle Transformers, let this issue serve as the standard of how a TF comic should look.

Back to the story, its really what TF fans, particularly those who enjoyed Furmans run on Marvel UK and US, have been looking for. A huge cast with some obscure characters finally being brought forward again, like Dogfight, Scoop, and Ruckus. With Jetfire, the Wreckers, Prime, Megs, Bludgeon, etc., what's there not to like about the cast?

Its one thing to show a character here and there for a panel or two, and then never see them again. But here, with the Technobots for example, we are allowed to care about these characters who are actually given a chance to develop.

The story remains shrouded in mystery, which I feel is a strong point. Better to slowly unravel things here and keep the reader guessing. It makes for a much more exciting read.

A solid "A" comic, almost flawless in every way I can think of.

Strong, strong work guys.

13. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

This was incredible. I hope that Thunderwing is a recurring baddie. I'm also amazed that Furman seems to be going two whole arcs without using Grimlock. It's a shame that this arc is only four issues. This is so much better than the stuff on Earth. Maybe it will get better in Escalation with Prime and Megatron on Earth. Is it just me or does Xantium look like it's actually a transformer? Fortress Maximus, perhaps?

14. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

How many bots die in Stormbringer thus far?

15. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    I thought it was Fort Max too, until I noticed the little tag in the corner of the panel that said "Xantium" on it...

16. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

The way that ship is built it looks like it has parts where the arms and legs and such are in ship mode, its very possable. perhaps it'll be the ace in the hole to stop thunderwing?

17. JoshBot

JoshBot Well-Known Member

The ship is based on some non-TF transforming robot. I don't know from where exactly, but I had a really awful toy of it when I was a kid.

18. DON

DON Well-Known Member

Ebay:

the Xanthium was actually an original design of mine, It's based off my abandoned upgrade of my old Macromasters base named Stronghold. who was originally based on Fort Max's Transformation.

the Xanthium, if it does transform. would be much different and as far as I know, is NOT based on anything, TF or otherwise.

19. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Thanks for the background on the Xanthium DON. The Wreckers have a cooler ship than Prime!

20. Stevejr

Stevejr Air commander TFW2005 Supporter

I'm liking this alot, more so than Infiltration. That being said Don could draw a Transformer story written by Chimps and i'd be all over it just for his art. lol.