storing TF's and TF boxes in the attic??

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by puma, Jun 6, 2012.

1. puma

puma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So i need to start putting my boxes of TF boxes up in the attic to get them out of the garage. i have questions regarding this. I live in TX and the heat is my main concern. Will the heat warp or damage the boxes of (mostly) empty TF boxes? The boxes are stored in large cardboard boxes. should i remove them from those and use a more sturdier storage bin like this?

[​IMG]

I would feel safer if i put them into actual storage bins rather than keeping them in the boxes. i don't think i have any pests up in the attic that would eat through cardboard but i'd rather be preventative from the get go. i also think these would stack nicer than boxes. Would these bins melt in the heat? I believe attics in the TX heat can get to 115-130 degrees... I was also thinking of installing solar powered fans in the attic to help with ventilation and cooling.

what do you guys think?? Any tips or tricks to keeping this stuff safe and sound under my roof?

2. Flyby33

Flyby33 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Wrap garbage bags around the larger boxes. One protects from dust and dirt, two protects from water if your roof leaks, three protects from bird shit if they get into your attic. Not sure about the heat

3. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    The heat shouldn't warp or damage the paper part of the boxes, but extreme heat will affect the clear plastic, possibly deforming it or turning it yellow faster. Keeping them in the stackable plastic boxes would offer better protection from a lot of things (bugs, dirt, water, etc) than the cardboard boxes though.

4. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I'd definitely, definitely get plastic bins to better protect both the boxes and transformers figures. I made the mistake of storing my figures in cardboard boxes over my first summer here in Phoenix Arizona and they started to yellow BAD.

Wrap them in plastic bags, put them in bins, etc. to protect them the best you can, but I'd always advice against storing them in heat.

5. Napjr

Napjr <b><font color=gold>Mr. Internet</font><br><font c Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Also, ive heard you need to let them breathe from time to time, so keep an eye on that :) 

6. Spawn77

Spawn77 U.S. Marine

I wouldn’t store the actual figures in the heat. I could stand possibly losing a few boxes but I wouldn’t chance losing any figures to yellowing/melting/warping.

7. Eman7673

Eman7673 The Beast

always use plastic bins and garbage bags, its better to be safe then sorry

8. puma

puma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i think 99% of my collection is actually on display in my TF room. so far it's sound like a week long project of unboxing the bees and repacking them in sturdy storage bins wrapped in plastic.

9. Cogar

Cogar Follower of the Code

Just to be clear, you suggest storing both the boxes and figures in plastic bins. What "they" did you see yellowing over the summer--the figures or the boxes/backing boards (or both)?

10. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    A little bit of heat isn't going to be a problem - these toys are shipped and stored in trucks and warehouses that aren't air conditioned. A lot of heat like you would find in a Texas attic? I wouldn't do it. I keep some stuff in my garage where temps don't go above 105, but the attic would probably be higher than 120 despite the fans and whirlybirds trying to cool it off. Soft flexible plastic (Cybetron Supreme Starscream's wings, etc.) is particularly vulnerable, extreme heat can often warp them, or if they're bent in any way then the high heat can set them that way and it's hard to get them back the way they were.

11. puma

puma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    99% of my collection is on display. the only things that would be in the boxes and MOSC figures. But yea, maybe i'll keep them in the garage. i wanted to build a shed in my back yard for lawn equipment and bikes. i was planning on putting a work bench in there so i can rip out the one in the garage. That was either going to work as storage or where i park my Vespa. might have to move the Vespa to the shed and keep the TF boxes in the garage.

12. bumbleblogn

bumbleblogn Banned

Bro I live in TX too , and EVERYTHING that I have put in there made of plastic has eather melted , or come out ... Funky lol

13. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Long term heat will damage the figures, especially the soft rubbery parts and painted plastic. I had figures where the paint slid right off. Now all my stuff is in public storage.

I have a thermometer in my attic read 130 in the summer, in Chicago, when it was just 100 outside. I'm sure Texas is far worse, for far longer periods of time. I do need to put a couple exhaust fans in. Anyway, I'd look for other options.

14. Wolfdawg

Wolfdawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I live in New Orleans, and while it may not be as hot as Texas (close, though), the humidity out here always worries me. I don't even bother putting things in the attic anymore after I stored some of my Ninja Turtles up there a few years back and they warped, changed color, and stunk something fierce. They were in plastic bins too.

What I do now is just store things in my closet. The temperature is cooler and they're more easily accessible.

15. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    Since heat rises I wouldn't be storing figures in the attic and sometimes you can't do anything when the environment your in is consistently very hot. I think you might want to store it elsewhere.