Stories about the CRAZY people (HW & McFarlane collectors!)

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Recall, May 23, 2007.

1. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Crazy Collectors!

I wonder if anyone has any stories concerning crazy collectors and what lengths they go to to get the product they want, be it Hot Wheels, Transformers etc.

I'm always in need of a good laugh. :lol 

2. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    Since it was brought up in the Target thread that we'd be fighting the "Crazy Hot Wheel guys" who are ALWAYS there right when the doors open it was suggested we have a war stories thread. Plenty of us have worked in retail and dealt with these guys daily so here's the un-official war stories thread :) 

I could probably fill my own thread but I'll start with the little old man who used to RUN to the Hot Wheel dump bin and turn the whole freaking thing over on the floor! He was convinced that we always hid the Treasure Hunts and good cars on the bottom :drunk 

3. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

Yeah I wanna hear some good HW stories too. I've heard plenty.

I heard once about some HW guys getting into a fistfight in the aisle, one decked a Target employee, this led to Target taking a hole punch to anything remotely collectible including SW figures.

I once witnessed two incredibly large, filthy and smelly degenerates pawing through the SW racks at TRU, nothing noteworthy about them other then condition and odor.

4. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

In the beginning, there was a musty, dark evening once upon a time not long ago. There was a worldwide pandemic of an ever decreasing supply. Such as the oil embargo of 81, plastic has once found its maker. There was an evil villain named "the shelf walker" who roamed about in the streets....he h

5. Dragonclaw

News Credits:
    Fistfights happened A LOT! We had a couple complete WWE worthy "Get the mop for all the blood" incidents.

"You got blood on the card, now it's not MINT" :throw 

6. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    There was some jackass that posted a story here about how he hit a little kid with a stuffed animal and took the final battle Armada Prime out of his hands since it was the last one on the shelf...not really funny just pathetic...

7. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  8. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I don't know if it counts as "crazy," but I remember working at KB Toys when I first learned about HW 'Treasure Hunts.'

It was Christmas and we set up this thing where you could choose to pay a dollar more and we throw a toy into the Toys for Tots bin. Not knowing any better, I zeroed out and threw a bunch of older and semi shelf-worn HW's into the bin one day. Later I found these two guys rummaging through the Toys for Tots bin. When I asked them if they needed any help they started to snap at me for throwing some old 'Treasure Hunts' in there.

9. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Shucks, such interesting stuff NEVER happen in my lame, boring country!

10. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
  11. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have personally witnessed Hot Wheels collectors do the following things:

1. Forcefully take a car out of a child's hand and then (when the kid started screaming), bolt before the mom could make it around to the other side of the aisle.

2. Knock down a Target employee who was unlocking the front door to open the store, trying to beat the other mass of hairy unwashed HW collectors. I don't even go there early anymore for fear I'll be associated with that group.

3. Berate an employee for not being willing to go get boxes of stock from the back for them to root through--"your JOB is customer service, and I'M YOUR CUSTOMER!"

4. Come up to me when I just happened to be standing next to a Hot Wheels bin (with my two year old) and tell me I'd "better not be another Hot Wheels collector coming into the area" as he's got enough competition already. I said, no worries, I thought Hot Wheels were crap when I was a kid and I still think they're crap now.

12. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

well regardless, we don't need two of the same thing. I'm moving this to Toyark, a Toyark mod will merge the two threads into one.

13. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    MATCHBOX FTW!!!

14. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^
    Yeah, what's up with that? When we were kids, EVERYBODY wanted Matchbox... we thought Hot Wheels were cheap junk.

15. Dragonclaw

News Credits:
    The worst one I had was a guy who saw me at a toy convention and resorted to extortion! He tried to tell me that I'd BETTER get every Treasure Hunt and put it aside for him or he'd start writing complaint letters about me to get me fired since I was "obviously scalping all the toys he wants". I ended up getting my managers and the police involved and had to wear a wire to get him to threaten me on tape before being hauled to jail...over freaking Hot Wheels! Yeah, THAT seems worth it!

16. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Merged FTW! Thanks for the threads guys, I hope to see this one grow with some great stories.

I used to work at TRU so I have some, they aren't all hilarious or shocking, but when I organize my thoughts better I will make sure to contribute here.

17. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    There are some very sad people in the world. Fine everyone has thier own pleasures and such but threatening people over bits of coloured plastic is lunacy.

18. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The day that Star Wars 3 toys were on the shelf and there was the Lava Vader at Target, two Hotwheels guys got in a fight. All the SW collectors were being calm looking through the stuff & we here this 'pop' in the next aisle over. Next thing we know, one HW guy was down on the floor and the other one was running towards the exit. Nothing like assulting another person over a $1 toy car. A bunch of Taget employees came over and were talking to the guy. I was just trying to keep myself from laughing out loud over the whole thing.

Another time in Walmart I found a Treasure Hunt HW car behind some SW boxes. A HW guy saw I had it and followed me around the store at a distance to see if I put it down. I did go over to the toys again & was out of sight for a few seconds and picked up another HW car. Then when he came into view. I went to the HW peg and put the car on the peg near the back (the whole hide it back there thing). The whole time, I was holding the Treasure Hunt out of his view. As soon as I left, the guy basically sprinted to the peg and started going through them. Like will all scalpers, he knocked toys on the ground and didn't bother putting them back on the pegs. I bought the car and returned it the next time I was in WM so he wouldn't get it.

19. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    the toys for tots bin? what pieces of shit!

back when I worked at kroger we had some guy wander into the stock room and start going through the cases (my store didnt even have cases for toys, everything we got in was immediately put on shelf), so we called the police on him. we even locked the store so he couldnt leave before the police got there.

20. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    I had that happen to me. Except he later realized the Treasure Hunt wasn't there on the pegs. He then continued to follow me and my brother around the entire Target (him constantly being at a distance of 15-20 feet away). Through every department we were in, until we finally left.

We then went to the KB Toys that was in the plaza with the Target (the KB is gone now). And the sonofabitch followed us there! I quickly told my brother and we lost him by going in the Lego isle and then the Barbie isle. We then went for the door, ran to the car and got the hell out of there!

BTW in case you're wondering, the Hot Wheels car was the Treasure Hunt "Roll-Cage".

Serves that bastard right because the next week, I found another Treasure Hunt at my local CVS!