Stores in Japan?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by dragonfall5, Jul 3, 2009.

1. dragonfall5

dragonfall5 Well-Known Member

I have a friend off to Japan tomorrow and was hoping she might be able to pick me up some Transformer toys.

Can anyone recommend any good stores in either Kyoto or Hiroshima?

Thanks

2. shmax

shmax Well-Known Member

I don't know about Hiroshima, but you have three options in Kyoto (none of which are probably what you envision when you think about Transformers in Japan):

1. Super Position - a small but densely packed toy shop in Teramachi shopping mall (near the Shijo Dori end). They have some Japanese-packaged rotf toys, and some odds and ends that have been shelf-warming forever (some Binaltech, Encore, some MPs, etc).

2. Super Kids Land -Turn to the right as you come out of Super Position, walk across Shijo Dori, and keep going until you reach the end of the shopping district. Super Kids Land is on the left. They only have recent ROTF toys, but they have a lot of other cool stuff as well.

3. Bic Camera - Giant multi-level electronics store near Kyoto Station. Not really likely to find much there that you can't get in the states, either (unless you want the Robo-Q toys).

But of course, as everyone will tell you, your best bet is to have your friend go to the Nipponbashi (also known as "Den-Den Town") district of Osaka, and hit up the stores there (particularly Herogangu). See my post here for more info. It's generally pretty expensive, but you'll be more likely to find something "special" there.

Assuming your friend doesn't want to blow a lot of time hunting all over the place and just wants to get you a toy quick and easy, my suggestion would be to send her over to the 2nd floor of Super Kids Land, where she can get one of the new Alternity Megatrons for 3700 yen (Super Position has them for 4500 yen). Super Position also has the Kiss Players Sparkabots set for about that much, and a reissue Star Convoy for 4000, but that might be more than she wants to wrestle into her luggage.