Storage tips

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Bryan, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

My collection is mostly in storage, by which I mean it's in a bunch Rubbermaid bins in a basement. I'm getting ready to put it into loooooooooong-term storage.

Maybe a third of it is MISB/MOSC, a third is in opened packages, and a third is loose. Give or take.

Any specific suggestions I should know about so's I don't open it up in 2013 and find out it all turned to dust or sumthin'?

2. zealottoyou

zealottoyou Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Send them to me and I will take good care of them :p 

Seriously, the biggest threat I can see is the moisture. I would have all the box air tighted. Alternatively, you can buy those big plastic bins and use wax to seal them.

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Or put them in plastic bags (garbage bags, whatever) before they go into the plastic bins for a little more sealing/insulation.

4. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I don't even know why I'm bothering to protect them. I hate them all anyways.

But yeah, excellent call on the garbage bag liners.

5. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I keep all my loose figures in freezer bags, which I then put in storage bins.

6. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If so, why can't i have em?
    :dj 

There's stuff you can buy in the cleaning/chemicals department of several stores that abosrbs moisture- used mainly to fight mildew in humid areas.
    can't recall the name of it, but a little in each bin should help.

7. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I've recently been digging though some of my stored TF which I'd not seen for well over ten years. I just placed them all unprotected in cardboard boxes and taped them shut before moving house. Anyways, just had a look and everything is perfectly fine. No GPS problems, no peeling stickers, nothing.
    And then I had a great day playing with some childhood toy memories. :) 

8. Shockscream

Shockscream Chairman of Nerd Day

News Credits:
    You hate them? Why? No, I don't mind why: Sell them! If you have interesting things I'd be happy to give them a good home. Lol.

9. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    If you hate them all, why bother storing them? Why not sell them or donate them to charity?

Depending on the extent and condition of your collection, you could get a lot of money for them or at the very least, make some kids very happy.

10. blunghole

blunghole The Tapeworm of Unicron!

News Credits:
    I think it's called desiccant. And, depending on what wee beasties you have lurking about, mothballs might not be a bad idea. I'd put them beside the storage containers, not in them.

I had stored a couple of Godzilla toys about a three years ago, opened the box and a snake crawled out. I NEVER want that to happen again.

11. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

You hate your TFs?

Why bother keeping them and storing them? You waiting for a better time to try and sell them on eBay for the top-most dollar?

12. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

:lol 

Maybe lay a layer of bubblewrap or plastic bags on top. Alot of boxes cave in from the top over time. I have those cheap rubbermaids and the lids are all concaved in from stacking.

I wish I did the same thing in the 80's.

13. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Put them in the large Space saver bags and vaccuum the air out.

14. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Further to my earlier post, this is how some of my loose TFs have been stored for anything up to ten years:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Everything survived fine. And can I just say there are few things more fun than unsealing a box full of your old TFs and having a good rummage down memory lane. :) 

15. manyoufactsure

manyoufactsure Maximal TFW2005 Supporter

Your loose ones will be fine in cardboard boxes but I would use the dessicant in with your MISB & MOSC ones and then tape the totes shut, so the cardboard packaging won't absorb moisture during the humid parts of the year. (moisture always gets in easily and then cannot get out??)

Only other thing I can add, is to NOT use clear plastic bins unless your storage unit is without windows/daylight. You don't want any plastic to fade or discolor. You could line the inside with a solid plastic bag if you already have clear storage bins.

Sorry to hear you have to put them away for an extended period. If you want to check one out, quickly, you won't have easy access to them.

You might want to create a checklist, of which ones are in each bin, and then keep the list handy in case you want to retrieve one or more of them. I also wouldn't write on the bin, what it is, in case someone breaks into your storage unit and then has easy knowledge of what they are swiping. Just put numbers or fake names (Kitchen untensils 1, old clothes, etc.) to make them less desireable. This might seem a little negative but you never know what could happen.

Good luck

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  16. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    put in a dry sponge maybe? could absorb some of the moisture... maybe

17. miasboytoy

miasboytoy Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    you gotta watch out for humidity. all my stuff from rid and onwards was mosc or misb. the cards and boxes started to mold and warp. thus i ended up opening everything. ziplock bags would be a good idea or anything air tight.

18. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The other thing you have to consider is temperature. A hot attic can be 110 for months, and that can melt paint applications and make stickers gummy. It's happened to me. Especially if they are all laying on top of each other.

19. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

If you hate them GIVE THEM TO ME! Unless they are Animated or the Fast Action Battler things those you can keep. :)  Seriously though I keep all my loose Transformers in a clear tub under the bed in our guest room and they are fine.

20. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    My loose toys go in Ziploc baggies with their accessories, then in a large plastic bin, taped up and in the basement. Boxed stuff goes in the same bins, taped up, in the basement. The only thing I'm still thinking to do is get some large dessicant bags to toss in there.